Non-motoring > How much should I budget for this building work? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 20

How much should I budget for this building work? - SteelSpark
Looking at the possibility of buying a house and extending it. Just wondered if anybody had any rough idea of what the following might cost, for a 3 bed semi in south London.

- Complete rewire
- New boiler
- Double glazing for the whole house
- Knock down connected brick garage
- Two floor extension (each floor being approximately 2.5m x 6m, roughly in the footprint of the knocked down garage)
- Knock through exterior wall on ground floor (so that the old room is extended by the ground floor extension)
- Plumbing for kitchen in the ground floor extended area

The place would need redecoration, plus a new kitchen and bathroom too, but I would do that gradually and probably do a lot of the decoration work myself, but the above work needs doing immediately.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
 How much should I budget for this building work? - crocks
The cost of this sort of work will vary greatly depending on location, size of house and the specification of the works.

A large Victorian semi in Fulham where the bricks and sash windows etc need to be matched will cost lots more than a small 60s built house in less salubrious areas where cheaper of the shelf items can be used.

The only way to be sure is to get a few builders in to quote but don't expect much change from £60-80,000. It could be more.

How much should I budget for this building work? - Zero
This is a guestimate but usimg a good standard, level site, no drainage issues with good access

Complete rewire £5k
New Boiler £1.5k
Double glazing £5k
demolition and clear £1k
Buildcost at £1k sq mtr. £30k

so approx £45k start point. Plan the rewire/plumbing/boiler/windows in with the main work

you'll need an architect, and planning permission.
>> Buildcost at £1k sq mtr. £30k

Thanks to all for the input so far.

Zero - In terms of the building costs, I have also been advised by a friend of mine to estimate £1K per square metre. But he suggested that I needed to include the roof area in that estimate as another floor so, using that measure, it would be 45 square metres. Just wondered if you had any thoughts on that.

In line with what you suggest, I had also estimated 5K for the wiring, and another 5K for the boiler and additional kitchen plumbing.
matin from devon will be along soon - he will be more current, but the roof cost is variable depending on type and how its built into the current profile
 How much should I budget for this building work? - ....
You'll need to look down before going up with the garage.
Depending on what foundations are there you may have to replace them to support a two storey extension.
almost certainly will. but the average build cost should cover the groundworks, UNLESS its a poor site.
 How much should I budget for this building work? - RattleandSmoke
I would have thought 60k would cover it. If you do the project management yourself you can save a fortune. The most expensive thing you can do is to get one building firm to do the entire lot.

It would be a lot cheaper to hire all the relevant people yourself but it is also by far the most risky way.
 How much should I budget for this building work? - RattleandSmoke
Edit the exact cost of the rewire depends what you mean. If it is currently rewired with PVC (1965 onwards) you may get away with leaving the existing lighting main in tact, a new ring wire (as many more sockets will be required) and an 18th Edition consumer unit complete with RCDs. If the wiring is very old then everything will need to be replaced and that could cost a fortune.

My parents had their house completely rewired in 1980 at a cost of £300 and the same system is in tact now. I have replaced all the sockets and changed a few light fittings but the wiring and consumer unit is original.

It is wired to 13th edition standards which came out in 1964 I believe. The only thing dodgy about it is the consumer unit dosn't have RCDs or circuit brakers.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 22 Mar 10 at 00:32
 How much should I budget for this building work? - PeteW
Average cost for supply and fit of double glazing for a 3 bed semi (assuming standard casement pvc-u not sash windows or large bays) is likely to be anywhere from £5000 to £12000. Just depends on the size of the company/quality specification of the windows and fitting. A typical 'local family' glazing business is probably going to do the best cheaper job - fewer overheads thus more of the cost proportionally is for the windows and fitting. However you do take more of a risk of them going bust and if 'Uncle Bob' who does the fitting happens to be away when you need any remedial works done you could be in for a long wait!
If you want 'The Best' then the upper figure is more likely - but be prepared for a starting figure of £35/£40K before discounts - it just depends on the way the rep goes about quoting you I'm afraid.
Worst way you can do it is go cheap with a big company - overheads are greater so it's the quality of the product that suffers to get to the price. Many at present are 'underselling' and relying on the deposits to maintain cashflow. In 2008 250 double glazing companies were going bust EVERY QUARTER, and since then I can't imagine its got any better!

Anyway in my experience of dealing with similar projects such as you describe, I would budget for at least £75K to get a proper job done to all the latest specifications/building regs etc. Unless you know people in the trades who can do you some favours price wise.
 How much should I budget for this building work? - R.P.
And if you intend to sell on you'll need FENSA certification paperwork !
 How much should I budget for this building work? - MD
>> Looking at the possibility of buying a house and extending it. Just wondered if anybody
>> had any rough idea of what the following might cost for a 3 bed semi
>> in south London.
>>
>> Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
>>
Good Evening SS. As others have said it depends on??????

Level site. Basic layout. Low(er) cost roof tiles. NOT expensive bricks. No tricky angles. No additional structural works other than the norm'. Room to store materials/waste. Type of waste to be disposed of. Sensible Client!!!. Payments terms adhered to. etc etc etc. Budget 60K plus v.a.t.

Don't chuff about keeping part wiring. There's no saving.

Remember though be clear with your plans, not just on paper! Find a builder you can trust. Do all of your research thoroughly. Pay him as agreed. Don't interfere, instead ask and talk. (This goes back to finding Builder who you can trust).

It is rarely as simple as one would wish so please get it right before you get on the starting blocks. Be realistic and ensure that when you go out to tender/estimate/quotation that everybody is singing from the same sheet. Provide adequate drawings. At least 5 copies to each Contractor and DON'T ask for them back as seems to be the norm' with some folk..It is your project and you are doing the asking. Don't skimp on getting a costing.

Fingers worn out for now!! Good luck. Don't be afraid to ask again. Better still....move to North Devon and I will do it for you!!!

Best regards.......Martin D.
Thanks Martin and sorry for the delay in replying. I really appreciate the advice, and I am sure it will come in handy. Although the house I was after has gone - the search goes on, and I am specifically looking for a house that I can hopefully add a bit of value too (and they are ALL 3-bed semis that need similar types of work doing).

Thanks to everyone else too, including Everest Pete for the double glazing advice (amazing what the gap can be between the original quote and the final price!).

Don't be afraid to ask again S/S, any time.

Regards,

Martin.
 How much should I budget for this building work? - BobbyG
Steelspark, I am in process of having an extension put onto a 3 bed semi. I understand that you never got the house you were looking for but when you do don't forget to set some money aside for the best investment you will make - food and drink for the workers.

My brickies are currently munching their way through their bacon rolls I have just given them, washed down with cuppas. A few tinnies to take home at night. In return I am getting a cracking job done, nothing is too much bother for them and they are being very tidy and good with the neighbours also.

Had had various trades so far and every one, without fail, has been white tea and 2 sugar!!
No sugar thanks Bobby. Now what sort of tinnies and when do I start??
Tinnie?

Irn Bru and Tennents extra mix

Its an aquired taste, but washes down the Deep Fried Mars Bars and chips well
I was at a fundraising dinner on Thursday and the guest speaker was Matt Dawson. Was sponsored by Barrs and he was raving about Irn Bru whilst drinking it by the glass full.

In fact I believe Barr's profits this year have been so well as they have captured a lot of the market in England.

Going back to the brickies, its only when you talk to these folk you sometimes realise exactly how bad the economy and weather affects their job. Back at end of November they were basically paid off as nothing on the horizon. Had a crap Xmas but then had a job in January but for 3 weeks they couldn't do a single thing due to the weather.

Some of us look out at the snow and wonder how we will get to work or if we might be lucky enough to get sent home early, these guys see the snow and realise they won't be earning for a while.

Martin, you guys have my full admiration!
Bobby, I truly appreciate your comments. It is so refreshing to find someone who actually has a handle on these things.

Back Bacon I hope. None of that streaky stuff!! Lol!!!

Best reg's...........Martin.
Mzartin, was the bst Bacon Medallions, on Scottish Morning Rolls with Lurpak!!
Better than me or the kids get!!:)
Women eh!!
Latest Forum Posts