Non-motoring > Just booked a little holiday Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 72

Just booked a little holiday - RattleandSmoke
It is the wrong time completly to do this due to entire situation but I am trying to escape from but I have booked a very little break, total cost £76.

I am staying in Brighton for two nights in March and going by train. I will use it as a base to explore some of the southern coast line, I have been to Brighton before and felt at home there because it has similar cultures to Manchester (e.g alternative).

I will get to Brighton for 4pm then have a full day there, ont he final day I will get to London for 1:00, and then I will have several hours to do a bit of London exploring until I have to get my train back home at 10pm.

I feel very guilty for doing this, but I have been working 12 hour days all this week and met my targets so I feel I need a little break. Not one penny was spent on the credit card either all paid from the cheques which have finally cleared. I have also just been giving some server work to a much bigger company and finally started to earn some commision for it.

I have just taken a massive risk with the weather, Brighton raining will be quite depressing I would expect but it is two days I won't be able to work so it will still be a break.

Just booked a little holiday - BobbyG
Good, enjoy your break, some will say £76 isn't exactly a huge risk if it rains or whatever but
a. it gives you something to look forward to
b. it will give you you a couple of days away from everything (and make that include here!)
 Just booked a little holiday - Tooslow
I'm with Bobby, enjoy it, relax, take your camera, let your mind wander.

John
 Just booked a little holiday - BiggerBadderDave
For god's sake, try and get laid.
 Just booked a little holiday - Runfer D'Hills
Shouldn't be a problem in Brighton if he's not gender prejudiced.
 Just booked a little holiday - MD
BIG Brighton boys!...................I hear.
 Just booked a little holiday - sherlock47
However, take care - big Gay scene and historically a higher than average STD rate!
 Just booked a little holiday - VxFan
>> and going by train. I

Why not take the Panda and get rid of some of the cobwebs?
My idea is to relax, booked quiet coaches too so I can shout if there is some screaming baby next to me :p. Yes I am becoming a grumpy old man.

Should encourage me to work hard as I have something to look forward to :).
 Just booked a little holiday - Redviper
booked quiet coaches too so I can shout if there
>> is some screaming baby next to me :p. Yes I am becoming a grumpy old
>> man.

Thats what i would do, (if i had the money too)

Enjoy it, take in the ride, see the sights, have a drink get some action (but be careful) ;-)
 Just booked a little holiday - Duncan
Nice beach at Brighton.

Make sure you take your bucket and spade and the budgie smugglers!
In March!?

And switch off the phone. No posting on 'ere, or Facepage and all that nonsense. Live your life instead of talking about it.

John
 Just booked a little holiday - nyx2k
have a good break and no posting on here at all.

maybe the mods could disable your account for 72 hrs..lol
Last edited by: nyx2k on Fri 25 Feb 11 at 12:36
 Just booked a little holiday - Redviper
maybe you could buy a "kiss me quick" hat
Last edited by: Redviper on Fri 25 Feb 11 at 14:49
 Just booked a little holiday - Fenlander
For sure you will return a gay guitar playing vegetarian artist with a knitted hat.... of course I don't know but you could be already hence the destination.
 Just booked a little holiday - Zero
>> For sure you will return a gay guitar playing vegetarian artist with a knitted hat....

He return with a gay guitar vegetarian artist with a knitted hat...

"Hello Mum, meet Geoffrey"
 Just booked a little holiday - Fenlander
>>> return with a gay guitar vegetarian artist with a knitted hat

No problem... as long as the new fella has a good job.
and pension
March is a silly time to go but it will be cheap :). I like going down south because it is so far away from anything else it feels like a proper break.

Just booked a little holiday - Armel Coussine
Once again Sheikha I see that you have resisted any temptation to become a motorist. Had you taken a day to drive down, a day to drive back and spent your long or short break in between, you could have passed by here, a small detour on the way to or from the ghastly Brighton, seen the racing-fraternity sheep, and let me have a little blast round the muddy, potholed lanes in the Panda. I'm sure that would do it no end of good.

:o}

Don't give me any palaver about the London leg and parking, congestion charge etc. Kensington doesn't have it any more and you can park for ten hours for six quid down behind where I used to live, round the corner from the Prime Minister's private gaff. Tube nearby, buses seven minutes away... Courage young man, courage!
i was going to refrain from saying how horrible brighton is. extremely

ive never heard of someone going out of their way to spend as much time as possible not driving their car.
without the car your stuck in that horrible place when you could have driven over to beachy head and had lunch in eastbourne.
 Just booked a little holiday - Dulwich Estate
At least it's better than Bexley.
 Just booked a little holiday - Bellboy
Courage young man, courage!

>>>>>>>> surpried nobodies said what ghastly beer that is
lovely little wetherspoons round the corner from the changing of the guard,i spent a happy 2 hours in there last week ( it was raining outside.guv )
 Just booked a little holiday - Londoner
>> I like going down south because it is so far away from anything else it feels like
>> a proper break.
. . .and, of course, we have better beer darn sarf. :-)
No comment but I do like a bit of London Pride if I am a Fullers pub :).

When I last went to Brighton it was lovely weather, I realise it won't be in March and it is probably actually a hell hole but I can use it a s a base :).

Last time we took the bus through the south downs and went to Eastbourne that was a very scenic journey.
 Just booked a little holiday - Stuartli
Remember where the sand can get if you get lucky down on the beach.....

Enjoy the break, but I'm with those who suggest you gave the Panda a little more than the odd couple of miles...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 25 Feb 11 at 18:00
>> Remember where the sand can get if you get lucky down on the beach.....

Not in Brighton, its big pebbles.
..Not in Brighton, it's big pebbles>>

Never been to Brighton, although I'm sure Rattle has big pebbles.

But any ale south of a line through north of Birmingham is crap.....
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 26 Feb 11 at 00:09
"we took the bus "

Did you notice "we"??

John
>> No comment but I do like a bit of London Pride if I am a
>> Fullers pub :).
>>
I Gotta meet you. If you're a Fullers Pub you and I gonna get married................and sooooon.
>> March is a silly time to go but it will be cheap :). I like
>> going down south because it is so far away from anything else it feels like
>> a proper break.
>>
'tis MUCH better darn sarf
 Just booked a little holiday - PeterS
>> March is a silly time to go but it will be cheap :). I like
>> going down south because it is so far away from anything else it feels like
>> a proper break.
>>

I think you'll find that it's the North that's so far away ;-)
As Bernie Taupin wrote, "Have you seen the North, that cold grey place".
>> I like>> going down south because >> I can understand what the people are saying.
 Just booked a little holiday - CGNorwich
"I have booked a very little break, total cost £76."

Two nights in Brighton including food and transport? Where on earth are you staying, under the pier?
 Just booked a little holiday - Mark
£76 with transport?

Must be by donkey and sleeping under the pier

Or does this involve a coach trip?

If so I hope you paid the single supplement who knows what else needs a weekend in Brighton and will share the room with you...

Especially if you are seeking "London Pride"

As always

Mark
Last edited by: Mark on Fri 25 Feb 11 at 19:38
>> Especially if you are seeking "London Pride"
>>
>> As always
>>
>> Mark
>>
London Pride may be preferable to Hob Gob Lyn.
Fullers? its muck. I have drunk better straight from the sump plug of the Lancer.

There is a reason they built the Fullers Brewery over the western outfall sewer.
Have you no Pride Man?
Fortunately not.

"London Pride"

I doubt he will manage a mouthfull, he will probably spill it all down his front....

As always

Mark
Last edited by: Mark on Fri 25 Feb 11 at 20:03
Of course, Youngs Bitter just up the road in Isleworth was always worth a punt. Deee-lishous.
youngs from the wandsworth brewery was a little better.
Of course, bound to be Old Hand. Chin chin.
If fear it could be much, much worse

Does this poor Northerner realise he is going to the gay capital of Southern England?

Let stop beating around the bush and spell it out for him!

It may or may not be better in the long run!

Assuming we know he predilictions

As always

Mark
>> If fear it could be much, much worse
>>
>> Does this poor Northerner realise he is going to the gay capital of Southern England?
>>
>> Let stop beating around the bush and spell it out for him!
>>
>> It may or may not be better in the long run!
>>
>> Assuming we know he predilictions
>>
>> As always
>>
>> Mark
>>

He may NOT be beating around the Bush.
well lets hope he knows his girls from the girls as they say.
It dosn't include food. Managed to get one of them cheap £19 Travelodge deals. The train is £38 exactly and so is the hotel.

I do realise it has a reputation for being gay but I have been to Brighton before and I know the place, it is very easy to avoid the gay places.
 Just booked a little holiday - Ted

Go where the mood takes you Rats, old son.

You should try everything in life...apart from incest and morris dancing !

Ted
 Just booked a little holiday - rtj70
>> it is very easy to avoid the gay places.

What if they are the best places. Canal St in Manchester is a good place to visit too. I assume you've been there Rattle? Good bars etc.
I have been to Canal Street mainly in my student days when they used to drink offers during the week. I have never been there by myself though!!.

Just booked a little holiday - njgleeds
At least not by the end of the night, eh? ;-)
last time i went to brighton it was a right dump and full of second hand shops full of old tat
 Just booked a little holiday - Stuu
I used to live in Sussex and espite Brighton being only 40 mins away, I never bothered with the place more than once, never took to it.

A nice day on the beach at Wittering on the otherhand was bliss :-)
i love the witterings in the summer.
i keep a small boat at itchenor and love to motor to the witterings and anchor off east head and swim in the sheltered water.
really dislike brighton and hove.
 Just booked a little holiday - Dog
>>last time i went to brighton it was a right dump and full of second hand shops full of old tat<<

Rather expensive old tat IIRC.
Bought some rather nice Clarice Cliff in one of the shops full of tatt, a few years back now.

Brighton has some soul, a bit of life and a smattering of history. Eastbourne has some nice Art Deco architecture, (and that's just the residents)

The Witterings? yup good dog beaches with the tide out, and a nice place for a new years day barbecue on the beach.
 Just booked a little holiday - Iffy
...Eastbourne has some nice Art Deco architecture...

Dunno about art deco, but there was a Jaguar dealer in a very grand building in Eastbourne many years ago.

I remember daydreaming about wandering in and ordering an XJ12.

>>full of second>> hand shops full of old tat
>>

Excuse me!

They are antiques sir!
only if they are old, otherwise they are "collectibles"
Brighton is just a base, I probably won't be spending that much time there and London is also a big part of this trip.

It is cheap, it is far away enough from home to to escape :).
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 14:45
 Just booked a little holiday - BiggerBadderDave
London AND Brighton in two days?

How relaxing.
 Just booked a little holiday - Armel Coussine
>> London AND Brighton in two days?

And without a car, don't forget. You tell them and tell them, but it just goes in one ear and comes out the other. Youngsters today, I dunno.... mumble.... gripe...
Well if I got to Brighton from Manchester in less than four hours by car I think I may be banned by the end of it. Unlike the train the car cannot do 125mph down the M6.
 Just booked a little holiday - Pat
Neither can a train:)

Pat
or a panda.
Top speed of the Panda is 93mph, the fastest I have done in it is an indicated 75mph.
talking to a customer yesterday and she was trying to explain how her sisters car went up and down on its suspension magically,i asked her if coco the clown used to own it and did the doors fly off at 80mph
she didnt get it
but i got a sale
No but the train does do 125mph including corners. I have not worked out the average speed but Manchester to London is 181 miles via the West Coast mainline (200 by road) and it takes two hours. There is usualy three stops depending on which journey it is, but Manchester > Stockport > Stoke > Euston seems to be the most common one, sometimes it stops at Milton Keynes though.

They have to stop at Stcokport due to an ancient by law requiring all trains which pass through Stockport to actually stop at the station. It was genius really.

The entire journey including the 50 minute transfer time in London takes just less than four hours.
 Just booked a little holiday - Bromptonaut
>> There is usualy three stops depending on which
>> journey it is, but Manchester > Stockport > Stoke > Euston seems to be the
>> most common one, sometimes it stops at Milton Keynes though.

It's a regular interval service Ratts. Trains leave Piccadilly at 15, 35 & 55 minutes past each hour. All call at Stockport. The 35 & 55 both then route via Stoke where both stop. The 15 also stops at MK and the 35 at Macclesfield.

The 55 takes different route calling at Wilmslow and Crewe. The mileage is much the same either way. In fact in BR days the Pullman express had no booked stops between Watford Junction (or MK) and Stockport and could route either Crewe or Stoke depending in where the engineering works were that week!!
brushed off your little book of train numbers have you Brompie?
>>>> London AND Brighton in two days?>>

If it's Thursday it must be Brighton...:-)
Rattly

When you get to London, would you like to pop into Duncan Towers, have a look at my laptop and PC and then I will drive you down to Brighton free of charge?

Deal or no deal?

Latest Forum Posts