Non-motoring > TUPE - Unions Legal Questions
Thread Author: bhoywonder Replies: 13

TUPE - Unions - bhoywonder
At present the company I work for does not recognise unions. It looks like I will be getting TUPE’d to the new company that do recognise unions. Is it worthwhile joining the union before I transfer? In case I get problems with the terms and conditions of my present contract. I know initially they cannot change my contract without agreement from me but it is vague in the tupe rules as to when they can force me to change.

What do you think?
 TUPE - Unions - Zero
The union will not offer you any assistance until you have been with them for 6 months. Join them now, (15 quid a month or so) and see how it goes, you can dump them at any time.

I joined a Union - Unison.

They were utterly useless, more interested in "political days of action" rather than working for the members directly.

TUPE - Unions - Fenlander
>>>I joined a Union - Unison. They were utterly useless, more interested in "political days of action" rather than working for the members directly.

Sadly I've found this to be the case. They told a relative she hadn't a hope in hell and refused help over a serious issue in the civil service.

I assisted with the case and we won an apology, £1500 compensation and the major gov organisation had its national rule book updated to ensure others didn't suffer the same problem.

After all the months fighting this and eventually winning we presented Unison with the result and received a lukewarm *Oh... really* type reply.

TUPE - Unions - Old Navy
>>I joined a union - Unison.
>>
>> They were utterly useless, more interested in "political days of action" rather than working for
>> the members directly.
>>
>>

Me too, they are job creation schemes for union "officials".
 TUPE - Unions - Falkirk Bairn
Watch the T&Cs when Tuped

Neighbour worked for Ins Co - admin taken over by outsourcing Co

Ins Co - 25% salary to Pension - no employee contribution - final salary related
Outsourcer - 6% only - cash scheme+ whatever the employee puts in.

He has refused promotion as signing new T&Cs would see his current 25 year service & pension take a big hit.
 TUPE - Unions - Tooslow
Both Z & FB are right. I was TUPE'd and I joined the union first. The union, which eventually became part of Unite :-( was effective in a number of respects. The effectiveness is very much down to your local rep(s) though, with any luck someone you know in your current work-force.

I'd say join. It's an insurance policy. If they're useless you can drop out. If they're any good you may find you get a darned sight more than your money's worth.

John

PS you'd be amazed at what does not fall under ts and cs!
Last edited by: Tooslow on Wed 16 Feb 11 at 11:52
 TUPE - Unions - hobby
I like the bit that the company doesn't recognise a union! When in discussions with them on TUPE or any other work related issue such as sickness or disciplinary you are entitled to have representation... so they'd have to allow your union rep?

I've been a member of three over the years, all of them have been very good locally and, on the railways, within the Company... My main issue with them, especially my current one, RMT, is all the other things they try to do which has damn all to do with issues at my work...

My wife was with UNISON, and like the earlier poster we found them next to useless...
 TUPE - Unions - Bigtee
RMT here £15.00 of wasted money a month untill you need there help and then they were useless.

But it's a insurance policy for the bigger things that can/may happen and they may come in usefull then.
 TUPE - Unions - spamcan61
>>
>> I'd say join. It's an insurance policy. If they're useless you can drop out. If
>> they're any good you may find you get a darned sight more than your money's
>> worth.
>>
I think that's a reasonable summary, having been TUPE'd twice in 3 months and then made redundant 2 years later, a couple of guys were in a union and they did provide useful advice that benefited us all..

The one thing they can really screw you on when going through TUPE is pensions, I too lost my final salary scheme during my second TUPE phase.
 TUPE - Unions - Mapmaker
Do you have legal cover on your household insurance policy? It would probably cover you for this advice, and without having to throw your money at those unpleasant union types.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 16 Feb 11 at 14:26
 TUPE - Unions - Bagpuss
I have over the years negotiated with various Union Representatives over pay and redundancies. Without exception they were preoccupied with ideology to the extent that they would be prepared to let a company go to the wall to prove a point and damn the workforce, and even more self serving than the management they were fighting (their expression). Made me very cynical. Also negotiated with Unions here in Germany. They are pretty much the same.
 TUPE - Unions - Badwolf
I have absolutely no time for Unions of any flavour.

I refused to be bullied into joining in a strike that I did not believe in, and would have cost me upwards of £400 in lost wages in order to attempt to screw a 9p per hour rise in my wage. I was then hounded out of my old depot and forced to make an emergency transfer to another depot. I'm now on a lower hourly rate, have a longer commute and spend more on petrol. And I'm now asked to make a contribution to my old depot Union's branch funds to smooth the waters for the Union official at my new depot who organised the transfer.

The only reason I am in a Union is for representation and for getting any speeding tickets paid. I pay my weekly contributions very grudgingly.

EDIT - sorry for the slight thread hijack. Felt in need of a rant...
 TUPE - Unions - L'escargot
>> ........... I joined the union first.
>> The union, which eventually became part of Unite :-( was effective in a number of
>> respects. The effectiveness is very much down to your local rep(s) though, with any luck
>> someone you know in your current work-force.
>>
>> I'd say join. It's an insurance policy. If they're useless you can drop out. If
>> they're any good you may find you get a darned sight more than your money's
>> worth.

I agree.
 TUPE - Unions - bhoywonder
Thanks for everybodys input. I am still in two minds as what to do and will have a think about it.
Latest Forum Posts