Non-motoring > Dispatches - anyone watching? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 20

Dispatches - anyone watching? - Stuu
Wasnt sure if id watch it, but I stumble across it having hear it was on at some point.

Will it make a difference? Is it anything new?

Dispatches - anyone watching? - BobbyG
Give us a clue - whats it about?
Its on C4 now, have a look.
 Dispatches - anyone watching? - Bromptonaut
Not seem prog, was watching DVD of 'A Very Peculiar Practice'. Dispatches website suggests prog was about abuse of children in Keighley.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 14 Feb 11 at 22:29
 Dispatches - anyone watching? - Alanovich
>> Not seem prog, was watching DVD of 'A Very Peculiar Practice'.

Good grief. I'd forgotten about that programme. I remember it as a callow youth when it first aired, blimey must have been in the Sixth Form. Barbara Flynn as Rose Marie. Say no more. Crumbs.
>> Good grief. I'd forgotten about that programme. I remember it as a callow youth when
>> it first aired, blimey must have been in the Sixth Form. Barbara Flynn as Rose
>> Marie. Say no more. Crumbs.

Only ran to two series. The first was a plausible light drama about university life - including a very young Hugh Grant playing a 'god squad' preacher.

The second was much deeper satire with Rose Marie's & Bob (Robert you basterd!) Buzzard's characters developed beyond plausibilty.

Amanda Hillwood as Steven Dacre's girl in series one did more for me than Miss Flynn.
Sorry , wasn't near a TV
 Dispatches - anyone watching? - John H
>> Give us a clue - whats it about?
>>

c4p's favourite subjects: race and religion.

Dispatches - anyone watching? - Zero
I'll wait for the inevitable Daily Mail link so I can ignore it.
I dont think footage of kids getting smacked about is anything to make light of, but everyone is different thankfully Zero.
I am not going to get drawn into this one.
Prob a good idea, no sense shining a light on why anyone would want to gloss over such serious issues with childish digs at a newspaper unconnected to the footage.
Oh I forgot you were a Daily Mail reader. Sorry.

Kids getting slapped about or otherwise abused in religious schools is, tragically, a problem of long standing. The Jesuits were masters at it before most of us had heard of Islam.

If the subject can be discussed in the round and in the conrext of 'faith' schools generally then that's good. Unfortunately I suspect reaction to the dispatches programme would focus on the particular faith involved.
 Dispatches - anyone watching? - Robin O'Reliant
Many of the teachers at my Catholic school would have be doing serious time for assault if today's laws had been in force back in the sixties. Kicks and punches were not uncommon, one particular fellow called Mr Duckham both looked and acted like Ronnie Kray.
 Dispatches - anyone watching? - Alanovich
I was still being beaten by teachers in the early 1980s.

I was once tasked with reading a Bible passage at the school Carol Concert, and was practising for it in a small room with one particularly infamous teacher when he laid in to me for giving the words an unflattering tone.
From the Dispatches program website

"Lessons in Hate and Violence will not be available on 4oD at this time, due to an ongoing police investigation concerning subjects featured in the programme."

don't know if it is related to
www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/cops-probe-beatings-of-children-at-city-mosques-1.1085318

Many of us, myslf included, complain about today's nanny state and health & safety and rules to follow rules.

But sometimes we need to look at issues like abuse in schools in the past to realise that some of these measures are done for a reason. I have heard and read about abuse in all sorts of religious institutions that simply would not be allowed in modern times.

And we are not talking "the belt" here - I have mixed thoughts on that, yes it is brutal but on the other hand, it didn't do me any harm etc. I feel sorry for any school teacher nowadays, similar in a way to policemen, everyone knows their rights and, in the kids case, are not shy at complaining. It is about trying to get the balance right of not having situation where kids are petrified and don't have a voice, to the other extent where kids will accuse the teachers of all sorts to try and avoid doing any work.

And things that happened in the domestic home years ago would not be tolerated now either but, sadly, the fact is that much of this still goes on.
 Dispatches - anyone watching? - Suppose
>> don't know if it is related to
>> www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/cops-probe-beatings-of-children-at-city-mosques-1.1085318
>>

No, it was at other schools in England. The children were being beaten to teach them hatred of other faiths "who were outside". Violence was the norm. Daily Mail links
bit.ly/fgVE2l
bit.ly/fL1SPp

"Channel 4 current affairs programme Dispatches filmed secretly inside it – and instead discovered that Muslim children are being taught religious apartheid and social segregation.

We recorded a number of speakers giving deeply disturbing talks about Jews, Christians and atheists.

We found children as young as 11 learning that Hindus have ‘no intellect’ and that they ‘drink cow urine’.

And we came across pupils being told that the ‘disbelievers’ are ‘the worst creatures’ .....

Filming intermittently over a period of four months, the camera recorded children being taught a hardline, intolerant and highly anti-social version of Islam."
Last edited by: Webmaster on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 02:39
I cant say I paid much attention to to production of the prog, except Taj Hargey who ive liked for some time.
I only looked at the footage, what was being said and done. Drew my own conclusions from that, dont see what that has to do with any newspaper ( I read Times, Mail and Independant every day ).

The use of that word 'Kaffir' ( is that in the swear filter, seems it should be ) certainly was news to me, its not something ive ever been aware of before. In that context, the teachings I saw were about as racist and unpleasent as Nick Griffin in full swing and I feel very sad for those poor kids who are being told these things, it really cant be their fault if they do grow up to hate.

I found it rather compelling to see and hear it myself rather than read some comment by white middle class hand wringers ( no offense to those who fall into this catagory btw ).
 Dispatches - anyone watching? - Armel Coussine
I didn't see the programme, but read today that it has resulted in an arrest.

What's the betting that the arrest is for chastising children in the harsh way that we were sometimes chastised when I was a child, rather than for retailing pernicious garbage to the innocent? I'd lay about three to one on it.
Latest Forum Posts