Non-motoring > Utilities option Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 10

Utilities option - Hard Cheese

It seems (from Confused, Uswitch etc) that our current provider, EDF, are the best value currently in our area however their standard rates are going up by about 7% in March. Therefore we have a choice:

(based on the combination of our usage and standing charges)

- Online saver offering a saving over the current prices of about 12%.

- Fixing prices for two or for years at only 2% more than we are currently paying.

Of course the online saver is not fixed, the question is by how much will it rise over two or four years.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
 Utilities option - Dog
It's a level playing field now (cartel)
I've recently switched from Southern Elec to Npower using paperless billing,

I shall look into the utility warehouse next year, have a look at whichswitch.
 Utilities option - John H

>> the question is by how much will
>> it rise over two or four years.
>>

If you manage to find an answer to that question, please do tell us.
 Utilities option - Zero
>>
>> >> the question is by how much will
>> >> it rise over two or four years.
>> >>
>>
>> If you manage to find an answer to that question, please do tell us.
>>

If I had that crystal ball I would be earning a fortune on the futures market.
 Utilities option - FotheringtonTomas
If it's going to go up by 7%, and you can fix now for two years (no extra contractual arrangements?) at 2% above what it's currently (!) at, and you can't better the price you are paying now, I'd do it.
 Utilities option - movilogo
Do not rely too much on comparison sites.

Get per unit cost from each supplier's site.

Then calculate your cost using Excel.

You may be surprised at the result.

Comparison sites want to make you switch anyway so that they can get commission.

>>If I had that crystal ball I would be earning a fortune on the futures market. >>

Clearly though would you hazzard a guess?

>>If it's going to go up by 7%, and you can fix now for two years (no extra contractual arrangements?) at 2% above what it's currently (!) at, and you can't better the price you are paying now, I'd do it.>>

We can either save 12% today on a rate that will rise or pay 2-3% more today fixed for up to four years, that is the dilemma.

>>Then calculate your cost using Excel.>>

Done that, many thanks.

Signed up for EDF Energy's Online S@ver 8 Dual Fuel, might be worth others taking a look.

Utilities option - R.P.
Single fuel here - but I went from Utilities Warehouse to EDF - they gave me a hundred quid for being a turncoat and the monthly outlay will still be less after the 7% hike.
 Utilities option - MD
I can't be bothered with any of it although perhaps I should. I have found them all to be nothing more than a lying bunch of Clients. Nothing is transparent, nothing is straight. Straight questions get ignored so I can't be bovvered. They can all flock. Except that is, the Orange broadband account. NO MEG..................£19.99 per month (no) please or Kiss my bits, so they'll be getting the whip end.

Transparency..............Huh! I can see right through it.
 Utilities option - -
Have a look here Mart, ethical practice and straight pricing.

www.ebico.org.uk/

Latest Forum Posts