Non-motoring > Gary Moore dead Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 24

Gary Moore dead - PhilW

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8307114/Thin-Lizzy-guitarist-Gary-Moore-found-dead-in-hotel-room.html

One of the great guitarists

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw
 Gary Moore dead - RattleandSmoke
Indeed, was only air guitaring to his work over the weekend. Sad loss.
 Gary Moore dead - R.P.
Nice one Rats.
 Gary Moore dead - Iffy
...Indeed, was only air guitaring to his work over the weekend. Sad loss...

I always found his stuff competent but somehow uninspiring.

A bit like Brian May's playing, which I don't doubt is technically brilliant, but also lacks soul.

Gary Moore dead - spamcan61
I thought he was a great guitarist (not that I'm in a position to judge), not so keen on much of his songwriting.
 Gary Moore dead - Dog
>>I thought he was a great guitarist<<

I *know* he was great guitarist ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_YMLDvvnw

Gary Moore dead - PhilW
And
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUW621lgXY&feature=related
 Gary Moore dead - Dog
>>And
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUW621lgXY&feature=related<<

Same Stratocaster as mine = 62 re-issue ... why doesn't mine sound like that :)
I do recall seeing him at the Dunstable Queensway around '82, indeed I've found a photo:-

img511.imageshack.us/i/70063147.jpg

A damn hot gig with a good band; Neil Murray on bass, Ian Paice on drums can't recall the others at the moment.
 Gary Moore dead - Iffy
...indeed I've found a photo:-...

Is that one of yours Spammers?

I know even less about photography than I do about guitar playing, but it looks a good effort to me.

>> ...indeed I've found a photo:-...
>>
>> Is that one of yours Spammers?
>>
>> I know even less about photography than I do about guitar playing, but it looks
>> a good effort to me.
>>
Yep, from the old days of film; manual focus, manual film advance etc. I was pleased to get two or three shots like that on a 36 exposure film. The front row of a packed rock gig isn't the easiest place to compose and shoot either!

Another respectable shot from the same film:-

img52.imageshack.us/img52/2316/gm2x.jpg

Looking through the file it was John Sloman on vocals and Don Airey on keyboards.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sun 6 Feb 11 at 20:55
 Gary Moore dead - Iffy
...The front row of a packed rock gig isn't the easiest place to compose and shoot either!...

Surprised you didn't get some stick from the bouncers.

I wonder if you'd be allowed to point a camera at a gig today?

>> ...The front row of a packed rock gig isn't the easiest place to compose and
>> shoot either!...
>>
>> Surprised you didn't get some stick from the bouncers.
>>
>> I wonder if you'd be allowed to point a camera at a gig today?
>>
I did get a lot of stick at times, the attitude varied radically from venue to venue and band to band. The most grief I ever had was photographing Marillion in Cardiif, ironically enough the band had personally given me permission to take photos:-/

Best place for photos was the old M_a_r_q_u_e_e club in Wardour Street, no bouncers, huge amount of lighting for the size of the venue. Physically hard work though.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sun 6 Feb 11 at 20:59
 Gary Moore dead - Iffy
...the attitude varied radically from venue to venue and band to band...

Press photographers are often granted access for the first 15 minutes or three songs.

Sounds like you were almost doing it professionally.

>>
>> Press photographers are often granted access for the first 15 minutes or three songs.
>>
>> Sounds like you were almost doing it professionally.
>>
The two passions in my life at that time were live (mostly rock) music and photography, so I was killing two birds with one stone, as it were. Lots of good memories looking back at those photos now, having scanned the bulk of them.
 Gary Moore dead - R.P.

I wonder if you'd be allowed to point a camera at a gig today?

During my recent introduction to gigging I was very nervous about photographing during concerts - I use my iPhone these days - good quality shots - no one bats an eyelid.
 Gary Moore dead - Bellboy
>>
>> I wonder if you'd be allowed to point a camera at a gig today?
>>
>>
>> During my recent introduction to gigging I was very nervous about photographing during concerts -
>> I use my iPhone these days - good quality shots - no one bats an
>> eyelid.
>>
>>>>>>>>>>>do you stick a candle on it and light it too?
 Gary Moore dead - corax
What was the cause of death? 58, not very old.
 Gary Moore dead - Dog
>>What was the cause of death? 58, not very old<<

Same age as me :( Heart attack!
 Gary Moore dead - Bellboy
just makes me realise non of us are here for long in the bigger boat of things.........
 Gary Moore dead - Ted

He seems to be well liked by you lot...a sad loss.

Sadly , I've never heard of him.
Why doesn't that surprise you ?

Ted
 Gary Moore dead - RattleandSmoke
I haven't been to many gigs lately but the tickets usualy say no professional photography or professional cameras allowed. I have never taken my Panasonic FZ7 bridge in case they mistake it for an SLR (it is basically an SLR but without the removable lens) but have taken my £20 HP point and shoot or my phones without any issue at all.

>> I haven't been to many gigs lately but the tickets usualy say no professional photography
>> or professional cameras allowed. I have never taken my Panasonic FZ7 bridge in case they
>> mistake it for an SLR (it is basically an SLR but without the removable lens)
>> but have taken my £20 HP point and shoot or my phones without any issue
>> at all.
>>
In my day it tended to be 'no photography' full stop at most venues, but even then attitudes on the day varied. If I was taking photos now I'd use my 'travel zoom' TZ65 as that looks less 'pro' than my FZ20.

Oh for digital cameras and fast autofocus back in the old days :-).

My eldest daughter has managed some reasonable shots on her basic compact using rule #1 of gig photography, i.e. get right down the front and don't use flash.
 Gary Moore dead - Londoner
>> Sadly , I've never heard of him.
>> Why doesn't that surprise you ?
>>
>> Ted
>>
Thank Goodness for that, Ted. I was thinking that it was only me saying "Who?".
I don't know much about these modern beat combos and their musicians.

That said, RIP to the poor gentleman. 58 is no age at all :-(
 Gary Moore dead - Fenlander
Not quite my all time favourite guitarist... bit too fond of the twiddly bits for me.

Having said that he was a great guitarist of my era and it's a sad loss.

My feature track is Red House...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCxXUVqTybw

Re cameras: Never a problem with a standard digicam unless they get the idea you're trying to record the whole gig on video from the front couple of rows. As Rattle says anything that looks pro will attract attention.
Latest Forum Posts