Non-motoring > Sleeping with the bedroom door closed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 55

Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - L'escargot
Depending on the size of the bedroom and the number of occupants, is it potentially harmful to sleep with the bedroom door closed? I'm thinking along the lines that oxygen is converted to carbon dioxide by the breathing process.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - CGNorwich
It's the major cause of death in the elderly in the UK. Hushed up by the authorities though who do not wish to cause panic and some believe the desire not to increase life expectancy any further and thus add billions on to the pension bill. Even Daily Mail won't publlish the story. An absolute scandal.
>> It's the major cause of death in the elderly in the UK.

I hope you're joking.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - SteelSpark
>> >> It's the major cause of death in the elderly in the UK.
>>
>> I hope you're joking.

It's not a joke, he is planning on making a killing selling CO2 scrubbers to OAPs. He is basing it on a design he saw while watching Apollo 13.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Chris S
Reminds me of when nurses in hospitals used to remove flowers at night because they gave of CO2!

I wouldn't worry about sleeping with the bedroom door closed - I've spent the past 40 years sleping under my bed clothes. I went to a freezing boarding school and it was the only way to keep warm. It's something I never grew out of.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Focusless
>> Reminds me of when nurses in hospitals used to remove flowers at night because they
>> gave of CO2!

? Perhaps cut flowers are different, but I thought plants absorbed CO2 during the day and gave off oxygen at night?
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Harleyman
>>
>> ? Perhaps cut flowers are different, but I thought plants absorbed CO2 during the day
>> and gave off oxygen at night?
>>

Of course they're different. Once you cut them, they start to die, and therefore decompose, thus giving off CO2 rather than absorbing it.

As far as the OP is concerned; cell doors aren't left open in prisons! ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 10:34
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Fenlander
I don't like any doors closed in the house while we're using the room.... particularly the bedroom. Only ever do it when the kids have a sleepover and it's a bit noisy otherwise.
>> Of course they're different. Once you cut them, they start to die, and therefore decompose,
>> thus giving off CO2 rather than absorbing it.

They wouldn't start to die straight away, they wouldn't give off noticeable amounts of CO2 anyway, and they would still be net converters of CO2 to O2, and if that was the concern, why only take them away at night?
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 10:42
>> >>
>> >> ? Perhaps cut flowers are different, but I thought plants absorbed CO2 during the
>> day
>> >> and gave off oxygen at night?
>> >>
>>
>> Of course they're different. Once you cut them, they start to die, and therefore decompose,
>> thus giving off CO2 rather than absorbing it.

But why remove them specifically at night? The implication (as I read it) is that they are still going through some sort of process which alters between day and night.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Bellboy
spores
>> >> Reminds me of when nurses in hospitals used to remove flowers at night because
>> they
>> >> gave of CO2!
>>
>> ? Perhaps cut flowers are different, but I thought plants absorbed CO2 during the day
>> and gave off oxygen at night?

Yeah, right, cutting the flower changes its respiration system. It is a little known fact that if you cut off a man's legs, he can breath pure CO2 and produce oxygen.

I did know someone who said that he hated having plants around because they "stole the oxygen"...it made me want to claw my eyes out...
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Manatee
Don't worry about it. The experiment has been done. My father had a thing about draughts, and his house was almost hermetically sealed.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Fursty Ferret
Have always slept with the door closed and have yet to suffocate in the night...
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - bathtub tom
Light a candle in the room (you'll need a big one) when you got to bed. If it's still burning in the morning then you'll know there's more than enough oxygen for you and the candle.

If the candle's out in the morning from lack of oxygen, you'll have nothing to worry about. ;>)
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - -
>> Light a candle in the room (you'll need a big one)

And remember to put it away from the curtains in a proper flame proof holder, else you may not peg it through lack of oxygen..;)
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - CGNorwich
As any South Korean knows sleeping in a closed room with an electric fan running is even more dangerous and likely to lead to almost certain death. Derided in the West as an urban myth and suppressed for reasons already given. Do they take us for fools? The makers of the high tech vehicles such as C'eed and the Picanto must surely know about these things.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Runfer D'Hills
No matter what the weather is doing I like the bedroom window open and the door open too. In preference I'd have the curtains open as well to see the night sky but my wife draws the line at that. I also can't bear my feet being covered either and like them sticking out from under the end of the duvet. Nothing nicer than a bit of fresh air round the old plates.

Only time I'd sleep with the bedroom door shut is in a hotel. They seem to prefer you to do that.
i always lock hotel doors but still think they can be faulty and someone outside could walk in

is there a cure?
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Ted
I'm safe, I always have the window open and it's about a yard from my head.

I kept it open all through the winter. It makes me and Winnie the Pooh feel so snuggly in our sleepsuits tucked up under the duvet.

Ted
>>It makes me and Winnie the Pooh feel so snuggly in our sleepsuits

What colour is yours Ted? Are you a Dipsy, Laa-Laa, Po, or a Tinky Winky? I think we should be told.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletubbies

The girls at the club call me Dinky Winky....can't think why.

Ted
>> I'm safe, I always have the window open and it's about a yard from my
>> head.

I assume you live in a house. You might not be so keen to go to bed with a window open if, like us, you lived in a bungalow.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 16:14
or on a boat if the window was below the plimsol line
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - madf
The local owls serenade us through the open window..They are courting disaster..
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Clk Sec
We leave one of our bedroom windows open at night regardless of the weather. If I lived in a bungalow or a ground floor flat I would have to have a window installed that could be locked in the (slightly) open position.

Our door is closed unless I'm sleeping on my own, when it's left ajar.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Iffy
There's an open fireplace in my bedroom at Iffy Towers which means good ventilation is assured.

There's a small grille - rather like a sink plughole - in the floor of the bedroom, and all the other rooms, at the caravan.

I've been told the grilles are an anti-condensation measure.

>>
>>
>> There's a small grille

I mis-read that ...I thought you wrote girlie !

They're to vent any gas leaking...it's heavier than air.

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 17:12
Thinking about it a bit more, I don't think I would sleep at all well in a room which had the window closed. Sometimes, in the summer I go outside and sleep on a lounger on the patio. I love to lie there looking up at the sky and listening to the night. Our house backs onto a canal on the other side of which, hidden behind trees, are the extensive grounds of a large, once grand country house. If you listen hard you can hear all manner of wildlife going about its nocturnal business.
...If you listen hard you can hear all manner of wildlife going about its nocturnal business...

That's one of the things about sleeping in the caravan, the sound insulation is nothing like as effective as in a house, so you can hear what's going on.

Mostly this is good, although an owl kept me awake a good few nights last season.

Someone once told me, although they might have been pulling my leg, that the "T'wit" and the "T'woo" were the separate sounds of male and female owls flirting rather than a solitary owl uttering "T'wit..T'woo". Like I say, this might be nonsense but I like to believe it.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - AnotherJohnH
>>... the "T'wit" and the "T'woo" were the separate sounds of male and female owls flirting
>> rather than a solitary owl uttering "T'wit..T'woo".

I'm told it's true.

But it borders on the unbelievable - it's Mrs which shouts "Twit?", and Mr that replies "Who?"

Plenty of googlable evidence from reputable sources to back it up, although the spelling of the sounds varies a bit...
...I'm told it's true...

Go on then, I'll buy it.

From sleep-interrupted memory, the owl sound which kept me awake was a steady stream of 'twoos', but no 'twits'.

Just my luck to buy a caravan near the only owl in Yorkshire which can't pull a lass.

but the twits in the caravan

;-)
only kidding :-)
>>in the caravan, the sound insulation is nothing like as effective as in a house, so you can hear what's going on

You mean the pigeons clumping around the roof in their hobnail boots.
...You mean the pigeons clumping around the roof in their hobnail boots...

See a lot of birds, but rarely any pigeons, and there is some woodland nearby.

On our little regular farm site, near Middlewich, the Wood Pigeons are the main culprits....giving it some beak as soon as it gets light.

Oh, and the Cockchafer mentioned in a thread years ago ! I use an inner tent in the awning now and zip it up !

Ted
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - smokie
"Oh, and the Cockchafer mentioned in a thread years ago ! I use an inner tent in the awning now and zip it up !"

Have googled cockchafer and I'm still not sure if you are being serious or have written a particularly witty euphemism :-)

>> Have googled cockchafer and I'm still not sure if you are being serious or have
>> written a particularly witty euphemism :-)
>>

I started a thread on it, possibly last Summer. The one that I felt crawling up my sleeping bag while camping. Harmless thing, but it was dark and I didn't know what it was at the time so it had to meet it's maker.

There is only one thing worse than being witty....that is not being witty !

Ted

>> You mean the pigeons clumping around the roof in their hobnail boots.

Speaking of which, a jolly jape when camping is, in the dead of night, to sprinkle breadcrumbs on the roof of the neighbouring tent belonging to any friends you are travelling with. They will be woken at dawn to the sound of birds feeding ( and worse ) on their roof. One of life's simple pleasures I grant you...
We once made the mistake of booking a week with the kids at Berwick on Tweed in a static caravan, which turned out to be one of about 1,000 arranged in rank and file on a clifftop - the other 999 being invisible in the brochure photo.

The dawn Seagull's Clog Dance was suffered for 2 mornings before somebody had the bright idea of chucking a handful of cocoa pops on to the roofs of the surrounding 8 caravans last thing at night.

>>a jolly jape when camping

I've threaded a piece of rope with a large knot in it under the groundsheet of whoever I wanted to wind-up and warned them about the large number of snakes in the area.

Just after they've settled down, you slowly pull the rope....................
>> Our house backs onto a canal on
>> the other side of which, hidden behind trees, are the extensive grounds of a large,
>> once grand country house.

Sounds lovely Humph; I'm jealous.
Oh it's alright I suppose but I wouldn't want to give the impression of any kind of grandeur. The location is nice but the house is fairly standard issue. Brick built modern. I hate bricks.
>> I hate bricks.

Wattle and daub? :)
Houses should be built of stone really. I shall see to that among other things when I take over.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Fenlander
>>>Houses should be built of stone really. I shall see to that among other things when I take over.

The village our family comes from, and the area we may well retire to, will only allow stone. I'd not quite take it that far as I like a nice soft darker red brick myself.

We are currently rendered and painted... I've said never again.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - sherlock47
I have often said that it is not what YOUR house looks like, it is the view that is important.

But SWMBO starts to object when there is more than one wreck parked in the drive!
>> or on a boat if the window was below the plimsol line

Or the MIR space station !
Yes, a house...when I say house, of course, it were more a hole in the ground....etc, etc.

Ted
>>
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - MD
>> Light a candle in the room (you'll need a big one) when you got to
>> bed. If it's still burning in the morning then you'll know there's more than enough
>> oxygen for you and the candle.
>>
>> If the candle's out in the morning from lack of oxygen, you'll have nothing to
>> worry about. ;>)
>>
Helpful.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Cliff Pope
If you are worried just keep a canary in a cage. If it keels over, get out quick.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Mapmaker
Plants turn CO2 into oxygen with the help of sunlight, storing the C part having combined it with H2O to make glucose.

6 CO2 + 6 H2O = 6 O2 + C6H12O6

During the night there is no sunlight, so the equation goes in the opposite direction, the plants respiring and thus producing CO2.

Hence, it makes sense to remove flowers from the room at night as they use up the Oxygen. So, Escargot, don't have flowers in the bedroom.
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Dog
>>So, Escargot, don't have flowers in the bedroom<<

Aw, that's a shame, cos they used to do a nice drop of Bitter.
Last edited by: Dog on Mon 7 Feb 11 at 19:41
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - Clk Sec
>>cos they used to do a nice drop of Bitter

Not keggy fleg, surely?
 Sleeping with the bedroom door closed - FotheringtonTomas
As far as I remember, we need a little less oxygen in the air to survive than does a candle falme. So, if the candle gors out, it's a worry - but not (necessarily) fatal.
>> As far as I remember, we need a little less oxygen in the air to
>> survive than does a candle falme. So, if the candle gors out, it's a worry
>> - but not (necessarily) fatal.

As long as you notice it. ;>)
Latest Forum Posts