Non-motoring > A bad habit? Multibuys Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 27

A bad habit? Multibuys - Tooslow
I have a bad habit. Well probably more than one, but in particular I cannot resist buying 2/3/4/5 for a little more than the price of one. I needed a roll of insulating tape a little while back. Now one roll will last me years but I was quite shocked by the price of one and even more shocked to see that I could buy a pack of 6 for just a little more. It's not that I see the multi pack as a bargain, more that I feel like I'm being treated like a sucker for only buying one. So I'm not having a coffin, I'm going to be rolled up in excess tape.

Today I've bought 5 litres of chain (saw) oil for £20.50. I will use it (I tell myself) but 1 litre was about £8, so.... Well once I'm half way through the rest is free.

Am I alone? Do I need to attend bulk-buy anonymous?
John

A bad habit? Multibuys - Stuartli
>>Am I alone? Do I need to attend bulk-buy anonymous?>>

Look out for multi-attendance offers at special rates.
Good thinking!
John
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Bromptonaut
I do this. Then of course when I need the second pack I cannot find it. Either I've put it somewhere or SWMBO had binned it 'cos (like the pack of cable ties) she didn't know what it was!!
 A bad habit? Multibuys - -
Not a bad habit at all but you have to take advantage of the stuff you would use over a period of time anyway. and try to ignore the stuff you wouldn't get.

Hence when it's bogof or seriously cheap by buying big i get loads of stuff like...

washing machine and dishwasher tabs, bog rolls, toothpaste, engine oil (50 litres), socks etc...in fact anything that will be used for the forseeable.

SWM sees her favourite girly stuff on offer and she'll come home with enough hosiery to start a small factory outlet.

edit...binned it 'cos (like the pack of cable ties) she didn't know what it was!! ...she needs retraining sharpish there Brompton, chuck some of her smelly stuff away as punishment...on your own head be it..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 4 Feb 11 at 15:27
 A bad habit? Multibuys - madf
>> Hence when it's bogof or seriously cheap by buying big i get loads of stuff
>> like...
>>
>> washing machine and dishwasher tabs, bog rolls, toothpaste, engine oil (50 litres), socks etc...in fact
>> anything that will be used for the forseeable.
>>

We do the same . 9 x bioxes 250 Yorkshire teabags at half price.
5 x Non bio Persil at half price.
10x packs of Fry's Turkish delight when £1 in Tesco. (should have lasted 6 months.. lasted 12 days)

4 boxes of 24 Stella 33cl bottles mispriced ? £10 at Tesco pre Christmas..

10 bottles red wine Asda was £9.75 now £4.75.

and so on.

Edit: got a lot of unsed Duct tape... :-(
Last edited by: madf on Fri 4 Feb 11 at 15:38
 A bad habit? Multibuys - -
>> 5 x Non bio Persil at half price.

If it's a good price don't muck about with 5 M get 50 boxes at least or clear the shelves (and the next towns too) if it's good stuff, i'm still using the washing tabs from the last lot i bought in 2001..;)
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Perky Penguin
To add a note of ageism to the proceedings I have to say that these offers are only any good if one has a "Forseeable future" and I am not really sure that I do!
 A bad habit? Multibuys - madf
PP

The above will only last 6 months..

Sorry to hear you are going to snuff it soon.

Perhaps we can hold the wake - in advance?>
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Mike Hannon
I never saw cheap multi-pack insulating tape that was other than useless.
Same goes for cheap multi-pack superglue.
You get what you pay for...just ask the Chinese.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 4 Feb 11 at 16:06
 A bad habit? Multibuys - WillDeBeest
Good idea, madf - but it sounds like you'll be making the tea and washing up afterwards.
}:---)
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Iffy
Two loaves for £1.50, but one for £1.15 in Asda yesterday.

Annoys me, no way can I eat two while they are still good, and I've unplugged the freezer in Iffy Towers.

If I'm well organised, I can use one part of a multi-buy in the house, and one in the caravan.

Do that with cleaning materials and similar stuff.

A bad habit? Multibuys - Crankcase
Learned my multibuy lessons from Alice.
'I should like to buy an egg, please,' she said timidly.
'How do you sell them?'
'Fivepence farthing for one — twopence for two,' the Sheep replied.
'Then two are cheaper than one?' Alice said in a surprised tone, taking out her purse.
'Only you must eat them both, if you buy two,' said the Sheep.
'Then I'll have one, please,' said Alice, as she put the money down on the counter. For she thought to herself, 'They mightn't be at all nice, you know.'
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 17:02
Interesting attack of the swear filter there.
John
 A bad habit? Multibuys - VxFan
>> Interesting attack of the swear filter there.

Not really. It's just not intelligent enough to know the difference between a genuine swear word and when an innocent word contains the same word.
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Focusless
>> Two loaves for £1.50, but one for £1.15 in Asda yesterday.

Last week, not for the first time, they were doing 2 Jamaican ginger cakes for £1, or one for £1.20!
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Badwolf
Yesterday at Tesco in Litherland, I could have bought one pack of onions for £1.10 or two for £1.

Mrs B is a beggar for special offers. We've got about 1200 tea bags, five tubs of butter and enough deodorant and shower gel to last me until my 40th!
 A bad habit? Multibuys - L'escargot
>> Last week, not for the first time, they were doing 2 Jamaican ginger cakes for
>> £1, or one for £1.20!

Unbelievable.
 A bad habit? Multibuys - sherlock47
Multibuys - but check your receipt for the discount! Several times in T I have found that the discount has not been applied - they only 'add' the discount at the end of the bill and if you are a committed multi buyer of items that you did not intend to buy, it is possible to loose track.

However the good news is if you leave the shop and go back T will pay you back double the error. So if it was BOGOFF they both come for nothing!
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Focusless
>> >> Last week, not for the first time, they were doing 2 Jamaican ginger cakes
>> for
>> >> £1, or one for £1.20!
>>
>> Unbelievable.

Still doing it this morning, but haven't started one of last week's yet so I resisted.

EDIT: groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/specialoffers/linksavecontainer.jsp?promoId=ls64295
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 09:31
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Harleyman

>>
>> Today I've bought 5 litres of chain (saw) oil for £20.50. I will use it
>> (I tell myself) but 1 litre was about £8, so.... Well once I'm half way
>> through the rest is free.
>>
>> Am I alone? Do I need to attend bulk-buy anonymous?

It would've been an even better bargain if you'd only paid £12.50 for it as I did; not a cheapo brand either.

£20 is on the high side; presume it was at B&Q or similar? Check out your local agricultural stores, often cheaper than you might think.
Did you have to tell me that? :-) It's Stihl by the way.

John
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Iffy
...It's Stihl by the way...

I often hear in court of Stihl saws being pinched.

Must be good tools.

expensive tools. Yes it's a Stihl chainsaw. One of the benefits of a big garden, you get to buy lots of toys (ahem) tools with 2 stroke engines attached. Trouble is you then have to use them and that's hard work. :-( Still, keeps me fit I suppose.

John
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Crankcase
Sounds like you're Stihl crazy after all these years.
>> Sounds like you're Stihl crazy after all these years.>>

Substance and Stihl...
I have a Stihl cordless screwdriver - Black and Decker have/had exactly the same model, but don't know which company re-badged the other's product..:-)
 A bad habit? Multibuys - Tigger
I'm told that Morrisons are selling large valentines cards on BOGOF.

Told the wife I need to get a mistress.
Latest Forum Posts