Non-motoring > Optimism ?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 10

Optimism ?? - Ted

Local paper came today. Browsing through it, reading all the trivial bits of news....sweet paper found in shop doorway...that sort of thing, I came across a quarter page ad in colour
from Jet2Go offering holiday breaks in Egypt...Sharm el Wotsit and somewhere else.

Not been watching the telly, lads ?

Ted
 Optimism ?? - Bellboy
beach should be nice and quiet
 Optimism ?? - bathtub tom
They're offering 'em at a discount.
 Optimism ?? - Fursty Ferret
According to Foreign Office the Red Sea resorts like Sharm el Shark are pretty much unaffected. Apparently...

I'm still rostered to fly there next week. Rumour has it we're taking a big box of spare parts and an engineer along with us.
 Optimism ?? - rtj70
>> According to Foreign Office the Red Sea resorts like Sharm el Shark are pretty much
>> unaffected. Apparently...

TUI parent company of Thomson was cancelling all trips for travellers from all countries except the UK. The FCO says it's okay in the Red Sea area. All other countries TUI operate out of apart from UK say don't travel.
 Optimism ?? - Bromptonaut
One of my bosses was back today and said nowt untoward at Red Sea. Could be a bargain break?
 Optimism ?? - Ted

Weren't a group of tourists, German,I think, machine gunned at Sharm el Rattle some years ago in the campaign to ruin tourism by some extremists ?

Ted
 Optimism ?? - smokie
If the locals don't get 'em the shark will at Sharm...
 Optimism ?? - Manatee
The Hilton at Taba was bombed in 2004 and there were bombs at Sharm el Sheikh the following year. The resort areas are guarded now with checkpoints. We've been to Taba a couple of times but I wouldn't go at the moment. The checkpoints are manned by Egyptian army conscripts and for better or worse the army is part of the 'situation' in Egypt.

That said the Egyptians in the Red Sea resorts will be much more gruntled than those in Cairo etc. They are there to work and they are much better off than the average person in what is overall a very poor country.
 Optimism ?? - rtj70
A year ago (between selling and buying a house) we felt like we wanted to get away. Toyed with the idea of Tunisia but for other reasons didn't. Fast forward 12 months and we had intended to get away around now and Tunisia was the destination.

We knew prices in 2010 so held on for a better price.... and then were glad we never booked. Should have been travelling on Sunday if we'd booked the trip. At one point a week half board was about £370 for two. It was cheaper still in 2010 so thankfully we held on!
 Optimism ?? - Tigger
CSMA magazine came through a couple of days ago. Front cover features holidays in Egypt - I was laughing so much my wife came to see what was up
Latest Forum Posts