Non-motoring > Smoking ban enforced by the public Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 25

Smoking ban enforced by the public - SteelSpark

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12352935

Whether you agree with it or not, it was the following paragraph that caught my eye.

"But the city expects the law to be primarily self-enforced, relying on residents to tell anyone lighting up in a park on a beach that it is illegal, one councillor said. Police will not be responsible for enforcing it, she added."

Yeah, good luck with getting that to work!
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - bathtub tom
I dunno!

I saw a guy's dog carp on a grass verge this morning. Me, a postie and a woman walking past, simultaneously asked the guy to pick it up when it looked like he wouldn't.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Perky Penguin
And did he or did one of your get a fat lip and/or an earful of harsh comment?
Three against one - he picked it up.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - FotheringtonTomas
People must be really, really sad or dtupid to consider belting someone for not picking up a dog turd, or smoking in a public place.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - John H
>> Yeah, good luck with getting that to work!
>>

Have you never been to new York or even anywhere in USA? You bet your ass it will work there.

Last edited by: John H on Thu 3 Feb 11 at 12:15
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Skoda
>> or even anywhere in USA?

Let slip with a sweary word in public and you're accosted.
>> Let slip with a sweary word in public and you're accosted.

Never been personally accosted, and no doubt have let plenty of sweary words slip.

There's a difference though, between the pressure to conform to accepted standards and the pressure to conform to a law banning something that was previously allowed.

It would work if smoking in public was previously sufficiently frowned on that they would accost smokers and be able to get them to stop.
>> Have you never been to new York or even anywhere in USA? You bet your
>> ass it will work there.

Yes, been to New York and all over in the US, and have relatives over there too. I've no doubt that people will speak up, I just strongly doubt it will have an effect, when smokers know it won't be enforced.

Public pressure won't work on this one, or they wouldn't need to try to bring in a ban in the first place.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - sherlock47
>> Have you never been to new York or even anywhere in USA? You bet your
>> ass it will work there.

99% of the time it will probably work, but the 1% (could be the next time) finds you on the wrong end of a piece of lead!
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - devonite
Smoking banned in a Park! on a Beach! in Times Square! - all in the great wide open outside! probably more risk of health problems to the public from traffic fumes within a mile radius!

Be banned in thier own homes next, - "knock-knock" Sorry! can`t open the door to you. I had a smoke 15mins ago!

Things are getting stupid!
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Armel Coussine
They got stupid ages ago.

My great hope is that so many of these faffing citizens will simply be killed out of hand by irate US citizens whose freedom is being attacked in the open air that the rest will get the message and STFU.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - PhilW
Reasons given for ban
"New Yorkers who go to our parks and beaches for some fresh air and fun will be able to breathe even cleaner air and sit on a beach not littered with cigarette butts,"

Presumably barbecues are also banned on the beaches? And the dropping of any other kind of litter? What if a smoker is a mile downwind of anyone else and doesn't drop his cigarette butt?
I wonder how "unfresh" the air is on the beaches and parks from cigarette smoke compared to all the other pollution emitted by the city of New York? What does "fresh" air mean anyway? Is there such a thing as "fresh air" in New York?

We will soon be able to see how effective this ban is - next stop London and Brighton.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - lancara
...and on a motoring theme:

www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_28712.shtml
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Perky Penguin
That has happened Devonite. Patients being visited in their homes by Health Visitors etc have to undertake to not smoke that day and/or have the windows open to protect the health of the visitors
>> That has happened Devonite. Patients being visited in their homes by Health Visitors etc have
>> to undertake to not smoke that day and/or have the windows open to protect the
>> health of the visitors

Seems fair enough to me, although why we are spending good money on sending health visitors out to smokers, I don't know. Unless they are those contemptible scum who smoke with kids in the house, and the health visitor is visiting the kids.

Funny how, with current scientific knowledge, some people still act as if cigarette smoke should just be seen as a mild annoyance to non-smokers.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - hobby
Light blue touchpaper and stand well back...
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Pat
It's good job I won't be around much for a couple of days:)

I shall leave it to the other smokers to keep our end lit for me too!

Pat
I'm an ex-smoker (converts are the worse), but I'm in favour of you smokers. The amount of tax you pay on tobacco must be saving the rest of us a fortune. A little whiff of smoke can't be any more harmful than traffic fumes.

If you had to spend the night in a closed garage with either a car ticking over or a chain smoker, which do you think would cause the greater harm?
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Robin O'Reliant
This anti-smoking stuff has been taken to ridiculous levels. Driving Examiners have now been instructed to refuse a car for a test if there is evidence that someone has been smoking in it, a tobacco smell or ash on the floor for example.
>> This anti-smoking stuff has been taken to ridiculous levels. Driving Examiners have now been instructed
>> to refuse a car for a test if there is evidence that someone has been
>> smoking in it, a tobacco smell or ash on the floor for example.

Preventing smoking in public is only the first part of the master plan. Malawi are ahead of the curve on this one...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12363852
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - MD
Mil's Mother use to say. "Wherever you may be, let your wind go free. Dear ol' soul to be fair and a decent sort.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Focusless
>> Mil's Mother use to say. "Wherever you may be, let your wind go free.

...unless you're in Malawi: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12363852
>> >> Mil's Mother use to say. "Wherever you may be, let your wind go free.
>>
>> ...unless you're in Malawi: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12363852

Oh dear, do try to focus Focus ;)
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - MD
He can't. Too much cloudy air.
 Smoking ban enforced by the public - Focusless
Sorry - too much of SWMBO's birthday Chinese last night.
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 4 Feb 11 at 21:13
Latest Forum Posts