Non-motoring > ATM cash receipts. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 31

ATM cash receipts. - FotheringtonTomas
I get cash from ATMs for spending money. Every time I use one, I get a receipt. I have receipts going back some time. I may not have all of them, and some are illegible. Still, I am reluctant to ditch them.

Is there any useful purpose in keeping these things?
 ATM cash receipts. - BobbyG
No
 ATM cash receipts. - RattleandSmoke
The only reason I get them is they are a quick way of finding out how much money I have in the bank or rather how much I owe them!

I cannot see a single practical reason why you would need to keep them though.
 ATM cash receipts. - Stuartli
>>The only reason I get them is they are a quick way of finding out how much money I have in the bank..>>

Every ATM I've ever used can display your account balance on request...:-) No need to have a receipt either if you wish.
 ATM cash receipts. - Bromptonaut
Only until you've tallied them with bank statement entries.
 ATM cash receipts. - Bellboy
it shows you are members of The proletariat
me i just open my wallet
;-)
When I win the lottery and leave all the winnings in my current account, I will always request a receipt when I withdraw my £10 and leave it in the machine so that the next person can see my balance!!!
You would be pretty mad to use an ATM for an account with that much money in it though!! I am nervious about using them if I have so much as a £1000 in it.
 ATM cash receipts. - rtj70
>> I am nervious about using them if I have so much as a £1000 in it.

But with interest rates so low, no point shifting wages around accounts etc. Safest place to withdraw money is cash back in supermarkets IMO though.

Had a few quid in a savings account when we sold the house - now that was a bit of a worry. Needing fasting access to it meant it wasn't spread across lots of banking groups to protect it. But I figured Barclays was fairly sound. Disappointing that it only got a few hundred quid interest per month though :-( Savings rates are crap.

The OP may keep ATM receipts. When I did a big tidy out at our previous house I came across bank statements for Midland bank when I was at Uni... I've not been with Barclays for over 15 years too!
With the amount of fraud though you just have to be careful. I always do a quick visual inspection of ATM machines before I use them and cover my pin as much as possible. I also don't use my cards in back street shops or petrol stations, I know too many people who have been victim of cloning.

Only been a victim of card fraud once, when my card went missing in the mail, somebody at the sorting office stole the card and the letter containing the pin number, after a few £100 was spent the anti fraud software kicked in and canceled it. I did manage to get all my money back from the bank though.

I do most my banking from an indoor ATM now including paying in cash and cheques it is much easier than waiting the cashier but being Windows based it is prone to crashing.
 ATM cash receipts. - Bellboy
only got a few hundred quid interest per month though
>
>>>> drops lower gob in reverence
giz a dime mayte
 ATM cash receipts. - rtj70
>>>> drops lower gob in reverence
>> giz a dime mayte

We did have to buy this house from the proceeds BB! :-) Most of it has gone.

I may regret going to an Aston Martin dealer with proof of cash though.

The interest (crap as it was) only covered the storage charges for furniture with about £70pm left over though!
 ATM cash receipts. - Dave_
I've started keeping a ledger book at home so I know what's going in and out of my current account. I always get a receipt for cash withdrawals and debit card transactions when I'm out and enter them into the book as soon as I get home. It's fairly easy to keep on top of my finances because I only have wages and tax credits coming in so it's important that I never go overdrawn, and this book helps me be sure of that.

Receipts go in the bin as soon as I've tallied the entry in the book with my online banking.

>> cover my pin as much as possible

My daughter started pointing out how most people don't do this, so for a quiet life I made a big play of being secretive when entering mine. Now I conceal it out of habit even when she's not with me.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 23:02
 ATM cash receipts. - Ted

My thoughts were in a similar vein to Bobby's.
When at work, I would go for lunch, carelessly leaving my bank statement on the desk.
Someone's bound to look at it and find out I had a balance of over £22million in there !

Dream on, Teddy !

Conversely, I got some cash out of the wall at the post office up the road. The last receipt was sticking out...a balance of about 26p was showing.......sad, thought I.

I don't bother asking for a receipt, more clutter. It shows up on-line the same day anyway.

Ted
I have 46p in my accounts right now, but no bills come out of that account so the money is better in my current acount :).

When you see the amount in the account you don't know how many other accounts the user has.

That said I saw a man paying in well over £1000 at the ATM today, he must trust machines a lot!
>> I have 46p in my accounts right now

Woo hoo! I'm not the skintest person on here!

I've got 58p.
Should have said one account :).

I am not quite that skint been close to it though when all the bills come out and cheques have not cleared.
 ATM cash receipts. - Ted

Better than 58p in the red, Buddy !

Ted
 ATM cash receipts. - Ted

I paid in more than that by machine yesterday. Used the one in the branch though.

I've started writing details of credit card use in my diary on the appropriate day.
I cross them out when they appear on a bill. Keeps ,e up to date with how much owing on a particular card without having to look at receipts with a magnifying glass !

Only done 3 this year....use debit card when I can.

Ted
I tend to use my debit card all the time now, I have found if I have a bit of loose change I tend to spend it, but if I don't have loose change I don't.

It works great too, I have been to Greggs once this year simply because I have not had the cash in my pocket :D.

I do have to carry fivers though to give out change.

ATM cash receipts. - Ted

I'm like royalty. I tend not to carry change....it's so common :-)
Anything under 50p goes in a pot to be cashed in at Asda and used for shopping or wine.
Pound coins are kept in a ' just right ' sized blood test strips pot in the Vitara in case I need to get in a car park when working or have a coffee up town somewhere.

I usually have a few notes but being a lickpenny, I try not to break into them.
I can generally survive the week on 5 or 6 quid ready dosh.

Ted
 ATM cash receipts. - CGNorwich
'Someone's bound to look at it and find out I had a balance of over £22million in there.'

That reminds me of what happens to my brother 3 or 4 years back. He banks with Barclays and he arranged to transfer £44,000 from his current account into a deposit account. He was acting as an executor for at the time. When he checked his deposit account on line in the evening a day later he found that his deposit account had been credited with £44,000,000

Being an honest sort of chap he phoned the bank and after initial disbelief they realised the magnitude of their error. Being late in the evening however there was no one on duty authorise to reverse such a large sum immediately. The next day he received numerous phone calls from high level staff at the bank who assured him that the matter had been corrected and he checked his account on line and it had indeed been reversed.

Three week later at the end of the month he checked his current account and found that he had been charged a four figure sum for interest on the £43,997,000 overdraft that had existed on his current account for one day.

Hew was not happy!

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 2 Feb 11 at 23:29
 ATM cash receipts. - Ted

He shouldn't have ' noticed ' it for a few days.
Might have been on 5/6% interest rates then !

Ted
 ATM cash receipts. - AnotherJohnH
>> When I win the lottery and leave all the winnings in my current account, I
>> will always request a receipt when I withdraw my £10 and leave it in the
>> machine so that the next person can see my balance!!!
>>

And count the days until you get marched back to the ATM by something ugly demanding money with menaces.
One strange cab fare I had was from Bedford to Swansea one new year. The lady had had enough of staying with her family and decided to go home there and then! I had to take her to a cashpoint first where she got me to press the buttons while she watched - cab price was £240 and her balance was around 16k... Lucky she had an honest cab driver.
BBD would look on that as a missed opportunity........
 ATM cash receipts. - VxFan
>> Is there any useful purpose in keeping these things?

Think John Spartan in Demolition Man and not knowing what the 3 sea shells were for.
>> >> Is there any useful purpose in keeping these things?
>>
>> Think John Spartan in Demolition Man and not knowing what the 3 sea shells were
>> for.

I beg your pardon?
 ATM cash receipts. - Focusless
>> >> >> Is there any useful purpose in keeping these things?
>> >>
>> >> Think John Spartan in Demolition Man and not knowing what the 3 sea shells
>> were
>> >> for.
>>
>> I beg your pardon?

Not to be viewed while eating breakfast:
www.i-mockery.com/shorts/three-seashells/default.php
Oh. I wonder whether or not it's supposed to be humour. Was (whoever) suggesting using these receipts as bog paper, then?
 ATM cash receipts. - VxFan
>> Was (whoever) suggesting using these receipts as bog paper, then?

Might have been ;o)

In the film John Spartan (Sly Stalone) didn't have any and couldn't work out how to use the 3 sea shells (the film was set in the future). Every time he swore, a machine on the wall dished out fines on a sheet of paper. He stood next to the machine and realed off a whole load of expletives - problem solved.

Becomes clearer if you watch the film.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Feb 11 at 10:39
 ATM cash receipts. - sajid
rattle how the fiat, is it saving money compared to the corsa?
Latest Forum Posts