Non-motoring > No wi-fi here Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 58

No wi-fi here - Iffy
Some fascinating pics of one of the few remaining 'uncontactable' Amazon tribes.

Their existence is threatened by illegal loggers from across the border in Peru.

You may have heard the story on 5Live this morning:

tinyurl.com/6fsrf76
 No wi-fi here - R.P.
One of them is clearly on a mobile and where did the machetes come from ? Feet are quite large as well.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
The aerial images were taken by Brazilian authorities, who have been monitoring the group for some time

Not lost then are they.
 No wi-fi here - Iffy
...Not lost then are they...

No Zeddo, that's why they are called 'uncontactable'.

And who is to say?

The people in the pic might not know which way is home, so they could be lost.

No wi-fi here - Zero
No they are not called the "uncontactable tribe" they are called "the lost tribe"

Read the tag line in the article.
 No wi-fi here - Tooslow
But are they, themselves lost or has someone forgotten where they are? Its not the Elawi is it?

John
 No wi-fi here - Iffy
...Read the tag line in the article....

They are uncontactable in the intro, and they might as well be lost.

Could you find them?

No wi-fi here - BiggerBadderDave
They aren't lost, someone's just tidied them up.
 No wi-fi here - Tooslow
Where were you when you last had them?
John
I haven't touched them, perhaps one of the kids was playing with them.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
The headline says

The lost tribe staring extinction in the face: Extraordinary new pictures of life in the depths of the Amazon jungle

"The lost tribe staring extinction in the face"

Actually, they're staring at the helicopter.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
Its about to crash on them
 No wi-fi here - Iffy
...and where did the machetes come from ?...

There was a lass on 5Live this morning from whichever charity is pushing the story.

She said the machete almost certainly came from trading with other slightly less remote tribes.

There's an old saucepan in one of the pics.

I could trade them one of my ten frying pans.
 No wi-fi here - Tooslow
for...?
John
 No wi-fi here - Runfer D'Hills
Surely even you wouldn't do one of them Dave...
 No wi-fi here - Iffy
...Surely even you wouldn't do one of them Dave...

...not one of the blokes, anyway.

No, their feet are too big. You know what that means don't you?
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 18:08
 No wi-fi here - Tooslow
Difficult getting shoes to fit.
John
 No wi-fi here - Old Navy
What a sad bunch you are, I have been fortunate enough to have seen similar tribes at first hand. You and I would not last long in their environment, while they make what they consider a comfortable living off the land. How long would we last if all the shops ran out of food? It only needs the oil supply chain to break down for a short time. That certainly would not bother these guys for a second.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 18:24
 No wi-fi here - Zero
How well would they last down Streatham High road?
 No wi-fi here - hobby
What's their average life expectancy, though, ON?
 No wi-fi here - Iffy
...That certainly would not bother these guys for a second...

It might - think of all the wood we'd need if there was no oil.

Flippancy aside, I agree with ON.

When I started this thread I was expecting lots of worthy replies about the plight of peoples in faraway lands.

But what did I, and more so they, get from you lot?

Ridicule.

Pah.

No wi-fi here - CGNorwich
Where did you see tribal people ON? It is sad that these last remnants of a way of life pursued by all our ancestors is swept away by greed and short term gain. These people deserve our protection.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
>> Where did you see tribal people ON?

Greenock

I saw a fantastic documentary a few years ago about a tribe called the Oompa Loompas that were being exploited in a huge chocolate factory.
 No wi-fi here - RattleandSmoke
I saw them too, they came down to Manchester a few years back, about 150,000 of them. They trashed the place. The council learnt a lesson, never let Glasglow tribes come down to a 'foriegn' city for cheap booze before a football match.

To be be fair most people from Glasgow I have spoken to seem to be very emberassed about the entire thing.
 No wi-fi here - Old Navy
>> Where did you see tribal people ON? It is sad that these last remnants of
>> a way of life pursued by all our ancestors is swept away by greed and
>> short term gain. These people deserve our protection.
>>

In remote jungle areas of Papua New Guinea. The tribes I had contact with lived off the land but had contact with basic civilisation. The height of fashion / technology was a senior member of their tribe who had a Bic type biro through his nose instead of a bone. Some had their teeth filed to points as a hangover from the days of cannibalisation.

I suspect they will survive after our so called civilisation is long gone.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 19:07
 No wi-fi here - Zero
I suspect they wont. Not after we have burned their homes and forest for fuel.
 No wi-fi here - Old Navy
>> I suspect they wont. Not after we have burned their homes and forest for fuel.
>>
>>

If we get to the point of needing their trees most of us will be long gone. I suspect a war (probably over resources) or natural disaster will do for us lot eventually.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 19:14
 No wi-fi here - Kevin
>I suspect they will survive after our so called civilisation is long gone.

Papua is now covered with opencast Gold and Copper mines.

The mining companies will have displaced and/or poisoned them within 20 years.

Kevin...
 No wi-fi here - Old Navy
>> Papua is now covered with opencast Gold and Copper mines.
>>
>> The mining companies will have displaced and/or poisoned them within 20 years.
>>
PNG is a huge island, "covered with" is an exaggeration, although I have not been there for many years. The tribes are well able to melt into the jungle if they are displaced, I have been in that jungle, and I would not last days without the support of people who knew what they were doing.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 19:44
 No wi-fi here - Zero
True, but the general assertion that there is a pretty good chance their environment will be gone in 50 years, is a valid one.
 No wi-fi here - CGNorwich
>> True, but the general assertion that there is a pretty good chance their environment will
>> be gone in 50 years, is a valid one.

funny - they are saying the same thing
 No wi-fi here - MD
I am struggling to believe just how flippant most of you have been here.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
So how would you like us all to be?

No wi-fi here - MD
Unlike you at times.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
well why dont you tell us what you think of the story?
 No wi-fi here - PhilW
Zero,
You don't have to reply to every post so provocatively. It all becomes too predictable.
Perhaps you should think back to what happened to the North American Indian tribes as when they were "discovered" to be occupying land that settlers/industrialists/farmers wanted. Not many of them benefitted from "progress". Most were robbed of their lands and way of life and confined to reservations of "useless" land like the Black Hills of Dakota - until someone discovered precious minerals then they lost that. Why did Buffalo Bill Cody kill all those bison? Initially for food for the railway workers but it was soon discovered that if you wiped out the bison you wiped out the Indians - easy, bison don't shoot back, just leave them rotting. It's taken them over 100 years to get some recompense but that hardly makes up for their loss of way of life. The same has happened to many of the tribes of South America.
A quick search in Google will show how many tribes have been wiped out by deliberately or accidentally introduced diseases or even just shot.
These people have none of the skills to cope with our way of life but they "survive" in the forest perfectly well - probably have a pretty easy life actually, women doing all the work in planting, growing and gathering crops and the men doing a spot of hunting. They only face extinction when "discovered". OK, they probably don't have a long life expectancy, but 40 years doing a bit of hunting, shooting and fishing may be preferable to us slaving away for 60 years in school, college and then work. Leave them alone!
I'm probably wasting my breath, because I don't believe that you believe half you write.
You are just trying to get a reaction - there, you've succeeded.
Phil
 No wi-fi here - Old Navy
>> Zero,
>> You are just trying to get a reaction - there, you've succeeded.
>> Phil
>>

Exactly, attention seeking.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
How is the fact that you cant grasp these people wont survive "attention seeking"
 No wi-fi here - PhilW
"How is the fact that you cant grasp these people wont survive "attention seeking" "

I'm really struggling to understand what you mean by that.
I am sorry that having been "discovered", these people won't survive. I know they probably won't survive.
I just wish they were left alone - much better than living in Greenock or Streatham High Street.
Although there are probably more machetes in both places.
I seem to be descending to you level with that last comment.
Enough's enough.
Phil
 No wi-fi here - Zero
What on earth is provocative about what I have written? I merely asserted that on the basis of history these people will not be allowed to survive because thier environment will disappear.

So in what way does that differ from your views, and why should I be shot as the bearer of bad news?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 1 Feb 11 at 20:51
 No wi-fi here - PhilW
"What on earth is provocative about what I have written?"

Because you appear to be totally uncaring about a tribe and way of life "facing extinction" and , as Martin said, you mostly give flippant replies.

"Not lost then are they"
Quibbling over the difference between "lost" and "uncontacted". Does that really matter in the context of "facing extinction"?

"It's (a helicopter)about to crash on them"
quibble about "lost" but not notice that it was "a plane" that photos were taken from.

"How well would they last down Streatham High road? "

Silly

" Where did you see tribal people ON?"

Greenock

Very funny - pretty tribal down Surrey way also?

"NONE of the planet is safe. Alas."

At last - the "alas" suggests that you have some concern. But why can't a few (hundred?) square miles of Amazonia (3 million square miles?) be set aside for these people? How far do they walk gathering fruits and hunting monkeys? 5 -10 miles? OK, 100 square miles will do.

Anyway, perhaps I am taking it all too seriously -
Phil
 No wi-fi here - Zero
>> "Not lost then are they"
>> Quibbling over the difference between "lost" and "uncontacted". Does that really matter in the context
>> of "facing extinction"?

Not lost means exactly that. They have been found. And ironically that now really means their extinction.

>>
>> "It's (a helicopter)about to crash on them"
>> quibble about "lost" but not notice that it was "a plane" that photos were taken
>> from.

Oh dear. Thats really key for a tribe thats now facing extinction. Would it have saved them?

> "How well would they last down Streatham High road? "
>> Silly

Not silly. Its actually very profound. How well are they going to survive in the modern world?

>> At last - the "alas" suggests that you have some concern. But why can't a
>> few (hundred?) square miles of Amazonia (3 million square miles?) be set aside for these
>> people? How far do they walk gathering fruits and hunting monkeys? 5 -10 miles? OK,
>> 100 square miles will do.

Because it cant, and it wont. Ironically, had been a remote part of the UK, they might well have had the chance to survive. We, you and I might well have stepped up to the plate and told the government to leave them well alone.

Its not,. Its far away in a poor country that's got corrupt leadership. Do the government care about these people? Nope they will sell off the land to rich companies as soon as the helicopter, sorry plane has left the scene,

>> Anyway, perhaps I am taking it all too seriously -
>> Phil

Yes you are. There is nothing you can do about it.

Sorry if you all cant handle the bare facts of the matter but there it is.
 No wi-fi here - PhilW
"Not lost means exactly that. They have been found. And ironically that now really means their extinction. "
Strange, that's exactly my point.

Helicopte/plane
"Oh dear. Thats really key for a tribe thats now facing extinction. Would it have saved them?"
My point again

"Not silly. Its actually very profound. How well are they going to survive in the modern world?"
So profound that I'm sure none of us was worried about how they will survive in the modern world. I think it may be the whole point of the news story, but then perhaps it needs you to point this out to the rest of us. It really hadn't occurred to me that having been "discovered " or become "not lost" that they would have trouble surviving the modern world. So glad you pointed out that they would find Streatham High Street difficult to cope with.

"Because it cant, and it wont."
Of course it can, and maybe it will be (we can but hope) - and has been done with a couple of tribes - do a bit of Googling.

"Anyway, perhaps I am taking it all too seriously -
>> Phil

Yes you are. There is nothing you can do about it."

Nothing I can do? I know, frustrating ain't it? But I feel like showing a little concern rather than just making silly comments. I'm sorry they have been "discovered" or "unlost". I wonder if they realised they were "undiscovered" or "lost".

"Sorry if you all cant handle the bare facts of the matter but there it is."

I can handle the facts. If I couldn't I wouldn't be concerned about the facts. These people are probably doomed. You KNOW that? It doesn't mean that I shouldn't hope that something might be possible to save them.
Do you always just accept the facts (as you see them??) Do you not ever hope that you, or someone else might overcome "the facts". Have you ever taken any notice of anyone else's view of "the facts"?
Are you always given "the facts" and just accept them? Or do you try to find, or hope there is, a way round them.
Anyway, who said "the facts" are that they are doomed and facing extinction? The Daily Mail - ah, right, everything you read in the Daily Mail is a fact. Didn't realise that.
Good night
Phil

No wi-fi here - Zero
I dont read the daily mail.

And if you google, you will find the "saved" tribes are now in a spot of bother.

Good night
 No wi-fi here - PhilW
"I dont read the daily mail."
So you didn't even look at the link provided by OP?

"And if you google, you will find the "saved" tribes are now in a spot of bother."

Thanks for that, wondered why I was worried about their future.

"now in a spot of bother"

Well, at least I can console myself that you say it's only "now". Thank goodness it hasn't been going on for 4 or 5 hundred years.

Goodnight again

No wi-fi here - John H
>> "It's (a helicopter)about to crash on them"
>> quibble about "lost" but not notice that it was "a plane" that photos were taken
>> from.

PhilW - read the Wail story again. Right at the beginning, in the second sentence, it says:

"Spears aloft, faces daubed with vivid red paint these bewildered villagers stare up at the helicopter high above them."

No wi-fi here - PhilW
Quite right John - but under photo it mentions a plane, and other reports elsewhere mention "aircraft" operated by FUNAI (Brazilian Indian Agency)
Good article here which also mentions "Men painted with red and black vegetable dye watch the Brazilian government plane. "
www.uncontactedtribes.org/brazilphotos

Also this in response to a question

The Brazilian authorities have been monitoring this group of uncontacted Indians for years from the air. Over-flights are used to gather evidence of invasions of their land.

Indians certainly hear the plane long before it becomes visible. They will have seen many planes over the years from commercial jets to light aircraft belonging to missionaries, prospectors, and government authorities like FUNAI.

Phil
Last edited by: PhilW on Thu 3 Feb 11 at 18:58
 No wi-fi here - Old Navy
All the time.
 No wi-fi here - MD
Regardless of the story peoples like this should have rights and be shown a much greater level of respect than seems to be the norm in this very shallow (me me me) world. It is a given that their situation cannot continue ad infinitum due to the very thing that will 'do' for us all and that is greed. Man was not born with greed or indeed hatred.

Will that do you?
 No wi-fi here - Zero
Yes, Much better.
 No wi-fi here - Zero
Look ON, you may think these people are wonderful, and cleverer than us. That maybe the case or not, I dont know. But you cant argue that their way of life will go because it will. I think thats a bad thing. My thoughts wont change it though.

So dont start having a go at me about it. OK?
 No wi-fi here - PhilW
"So dont start having a go at me about it. OK? "

Oops, I've misread you too, Zero.
Thought that was what you wanted.

"But you can't argue that their way of life will go because it will."

All it requires is to "leave them alone"
Is that so difficult? How much of the planet do this tribe occupy?
 No wi-fi here - Zero
NONE of the planet is safe. Alas.
 No wi-fi here - Tooslow
until we keep our legs crossed and if you start that conversation up you're marked as a nutter. I'm all for a large percentage of the planet becoming overgrown and if a few people want to live a genuinely environmentally friendly life in that area, go for it. A small percentage of the land area would have cities and "civilisation" for the rest of us. But it's an ant hill.
John
 No wi-fi here - movilogo
You can watch the full story (along with life in other jungles around the world) here on iPlayer.

tinyurl.com/5syg4tl link shrunk down to restore correct page width
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 6 Feb 11 at 13:29
Latest Forum Posts