Non-motoring > The Human ( out of ) Condition Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 11

The Human ( out of ) Condition - Runfer D'Hills
Most nights I go for a swim. Long story, but many years ago I got off a horse inadvertently. Unfortunately it was galloping at the time and approximately half way over a farmer's gate. This did not have a happy ending and I suffered compression fractures in my back. That hurt.

Having always been, if not exactly sporty, then at least reasonably active this changed my life for a while. All the things I loved to do including skiing, riding, rugby and mountain biking were put on long term hold. The back recovered mostly in time but still gave me a lot of pain. I tried all manner of physiotherapy etc but nothing would prevent it from going into quite nasty spasms periodically. I became unfit.

I had always been able to swim since childhood but never saw it as anything other than something I did on holiday. I had even somewhere along the path of life taken up sub-aqua diving which I enjoyed but never did other than in warm seas. It was only after about two years after my unplanned dismount that I was chatting to a doctor about my frustration at lack of ability to participate in my favourite hobbies that he suggested I take up swimming as an excercise. Just do what you can at first he advised but do it regularly, at least three times a week. Well, that was nearly twenty years ago now and I can honestly say it proved to be my miracle cure. I now swim more or less 1000m most nights at a local leisure club when I'm at home or any convenient pool when I'm travelling. Provided I do so, the back behaves itself. If I stop for more than 3 or 4 days it grumbles and any longer risks the return of the spasms.

Resultantly, with the exception of the rugby, which I'm far too old for now anyway, I can once more do more or less everything I could prior to the fall.

Tonight then, saw me chugging up and down the lanes at the club. I now find it really cathartic. Mind cleaning time. For a serious response ( who me ) to those who were chatting on another thread about hypnotherapy etc I'd highly recommend taking up excercise swimming too. The phone can't ring, you can't read emails, you don't have to talk to anyone for a while and you can conentrate on sorting out your technique. It's safe in so far as you are in a controlled environment and you can do it in any weather pretty much anywhere in the civilised world.

I had to smile inwardly tonight though. The pattern emerges year in year out. Weekend evenings tend to be quieter at leisure clubs. Most people have better things to do I suppose but as we don't really drink much we're less attracted to the traditional alternatives. At this time of year though, it gets busy. New faces appear for a while. I imagine it's the "oh crickey look how much weight I've put on over Christmas" syndrome.

You can spot them at fifty paces. The men are often not too unfit but with the tell-tale beer gut. They strut round the poolside visibly sucking their stomachs in before entering the water with a passable racing dive before scorching up and down the lanes for three or four lengths at breakneck pace. This is then followed by a nonchalant leaning against the edge of the pool elbows propped behind them trying manfully not to show that their lungs are now inside out. The ladies are equally visible to the experienced eye. The first giveaway is the bikini. Almost any serious female swimmer will have a one piece suit. The post-festive new attendee digs out last summer's skimpy job. Slightly too tight due to winter excesses and slightly too revealing for the purpose of excercise. Never quite managing to force themselves to get their hair wet and not fully comfortable with removing their lipstick they gracefully paddle in a near vertical swimming stroke at a snail's pace for fear of smudging the warpaint.

After the completion, including leaning breaks, of a half dozen or so lenghts both genders retreat to the jacuzzi and or the sauna to chat to the other new arrivals about how wonderfully fit they are now feeling and how they will definitely be using the gym as well next week.

Some last as long as Easter. Most will have disappeared without trace by mid February.

Bless 'em.
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - R.P.
I had a longish walk today - around 7-8 miles - on my own (Pete's Eats) this morning then a crunchier afternoon walk with the dog. As you say it clears the mind - phone was off. I have now decided that as of Monday, on dry days, to walk to the next village (around 2 miles) to collect a Newspaper as part of morning "walkies" - gives the dog a fairer run and me some much needed exercise - after all I do have the time ! I'll also save some diesel.

Edit:

Pete's Eats for those that don't know it although others have mentioned it in the past.

www.petes-eats.co.uk/

A definite for any of you coming to N Wales this year. There are cafes and there is Pete's Eats.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sat 29 Jan 11 at 22:56
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - nyx2k
swimming was what my doctor reccomended when i had heart problems a few years ago.
it's a great exercise and you can be as slow or quick as you want.

what puzzles me is how the women who wont get their face or hair wet can swim in that ridiculous
stance like a swimming seahorse
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - bathtub tom
>>get their hair wet and not fully comfortable with removing their lipstick they gracefully paddle in a near vertical swimming stroke

I could never get my breathing right in a front crawl, hence my neck and shoulder problems today.
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - PhilW
"I could never get my breathing right in a front crawl, hence my neck and shoulder problems today."

Kept hitting the end of the bath?
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - bathtub tom
Yeah, right, 6' in a 5' bath. ;>)
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - Runfer D'Hills
Tom, there are various techniques for breathing while swimming front crawl but the easiest to learn in my opinion is as follows.

Critically most of the time your face should be in the water facing straight down towards the bottom of the pool. If it isn't your whole body will be at an angle to the water and you'll need much more effort to move forward. Also concentrate on your arms staying to the side of your body as they stroke rather than crossing in front of you. You can of course breath to either side but many find it easier just to choose one side and stick with it. When you want to breath, ( at first do it every other stroke or you'll get tired ) don't lift your head but simply roll your whole body on to its side so that your face comes temporarily out of the water. Breath in through your mouth at that moment. If you try to nose breath and water splashes you'll swallow it whereas if some goes in your mouth you can spit it out again. As your shoulder drops and your body flattens on to the water again your face should once again be facing the bottom of the pool. This is when you gently and slowly breath out through your nose thus keeping it clear of water. When you have expelled that breath roll through 90 degrees again and repeat, once again do not lift your head, simply let the roll expose your face.
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - Netsur
I swim, not quite as regularly as Humph, but enough to recognise all the points raised and the characters who appear for a few days and then disappear to the gym again.

Regularish check ups at the doctor indicate I could lose a couple of stone but my heart rate and blood pressure are pretty good given I do no more than 1000m twice a week on average.
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - Bigtee
I too suffered with back pain and the doc said take up swimmimng.

Four years later still go 3x times a week at first my breast stroke was rubbish but the swimming coach spotted i go every week and for free wanted to improve me which he did & now i do it correct.

It's great that you can swim slow or fast which i do and it's a 50 metre pool most days untill it get's split into 3x pools Arrrgh..!!

Front crawl not too good back stroke improving now reading this i may go to local sports centre today just a 25m there but the problem with that pool is it's warm "my" 50m pool is freezing almost it's for those olimpic swimmers.

The Human ( out of ) Condition - DeeW
I loved swimming and used to do a mile at least twice a week to fill time while elder son was at Cadets. The evening was a good time - crawl usually, gentle breast stroke some days to allow one to swim with a friend and catch up on news. Also enjoyed the gym on the other days. Swimming good for overall fitness, but nothing beats the gym for toning specific areas ;-)

Sadly I had a problem with my spinal chord in the neck area a while ago which meant giving up both but this thread has made me wonder if I could get back to the swimming again. I'll be one of those doing a length or two - slowly - to start.

I also have been on the Wii fit plus since Christmas - so good for the ego, having been given a Wii age of between 20 and 22 this week!

I have a objective for all this. I had my first lesson in a dinghy last October, having been a sailing wife and mother for years, helping on the pontoon and towing dinghies around the country. For those who know these things, it was in a RS Vision and I am hooked, despite being dumped in the water! But do need greater balance and flexibility - if I can achieve it. My daughter does pilates at this time of the year as she gets ready for competitive sailing, but not sure about that for me.
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - BobbyG
The chlorine in swimming pools play havoc with my nose. Hate swimming as a result.
 The Human ( out of ) Condition - Bigtee
The chlorine in swimming pools play havoc with my nose. Hate swimming as a result.

Wear a peg on it.!
Latest Forum Posts