Non-motoring > Shower tray waste pipe Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 29

Shower tray waste pipe - BobbyG
Got a new shower installed during extension work, one of the ones which has a curved corner (although not really relevant)

Anyway, there are signs that we have a leak , ceiling in room underneath has patches.

The tray has a chrome "plug" thing which slots in to another pipe which then seems to slot into the waste pipe.

Is there anything I can do at this stage from the tray side to check for leaks or do I need to bite the bullet and run a blade along the silicon that holds the edging in place and look under the tray?
 Shower tray waste pipe - Zero

> Is there anything I can do at this stage from the tray side to check for leaks

Well, it may be the seal round the edge of the tray, and not the waste, but unless you can see anything obvious, then no.

Anyway, get the builder back - its his responsibility.
 Shower tray waste pipe - Focusless
>> Well, it may be the seal round the edge of the tray, and not the
>> waste, but unless you can see anything obvious, then no.

We had a new shower installed a couple of weeks ago. At the moment the tray is sitting on bare floorboards, and this week a couple of small pools of water have started appearing on the boards after using the shower. It might be that the tray has settled, breaking the seal between the tray and the shower frame. Definitely worth checking for this if you haven't already.

Anyway, we'll be asking the plumber who installed it to sort it out when he comes round to do the next job.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 20:26
 Shower tray waste pipe - Runfer D'Hills
I was going to suggest flashing a blowtorch quickly over the seals but then thought better of it in your case...

:-)
 Shower tray waste pipe - Iffy
I had a leak in a sink a while ago.

The outlet - where the plug sits - had a screw at its centre.

Tightening the screw cured the leak.

Outlets in other sinks I have do not have a screw, so I don't imagine the OP's will, but it's worth a look before ripping out the tray.

The above four lines encompass all I know about plumbing, other than I know how to write a cheque out to the plumber.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 20:32
 Shower tray waste pipe - MD
Listen to Zero. Get the 'Richard' back and get him to sort it or Trading standards get a call.
 Shower tray waste pipe - R.P.
How did the frozen bog go iffy ?
 Shower tray waste pipe - Runfer D'Hills
Clang?
...How did the frozen bog go iffy ?...

I've decided not to take it on after some helpful posts on here which indicated dismantling a cistern is not that simple.

Or more to the point, putting it all back together so it doesn't leak is not that simple.

The caravan is currently shut down, and the toilet is the en-suite one, not the main one, so I'm not without facilities when I do re-open.

I've just paid the plumber's bill for the other damage done by the frost - £190.

Not bad, because it included two new mixer taps as well as fixing leaks elsewhere.

Happily, leafy North Yorkshire is not the south east, so it's still possible to get work done at honest rates.

I expect where you are is the same.

>> Happily, leafy North Yorkshire is not the south east, so it's still possible to get
>> work done at honest rates.

Things dont freeze in the south east.
...Things dont freeze in the south east...

You'll wish they did when the Thames finally floods big style.

Flood protection doesn't work, I know that because I've read some posts on here by somebody called Zero.

Ooo, Birmingham have just scored - could be extra time.

>> Flood protection doesn't work, I know that because I've read some posts on here by
>> somebody called Zero.

Knows his stuff that bloke, advised me to buy a place that was not blue on the environment agency flood web site.

>> Ooo, Birmingham have just scored - could be extra time.

Time ran out for my mob some weeks back. In fact the clock started to tick when they employed that useless bleedin snip
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 28 Jan 11 at 13:12
...they employed that useless bleedin snip

Decent manager, but perhaps 'not a good fit' to use a current phase.

I hope we get knocked back for Stratford.

If we have to move, I want it to be somewhere 'neutral', maybe off the M25 in Hertfordshire.

Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 28 Jan 11 at 13:16

>> Decent manager, but perhaps 'not a good fit' to use a current phase.

Oh? lets look at his long record of achievement. Oh perhaps not then.
 Shower tray waste pipe - Netsur
Convenient for the Jews of north London then.
...Convenient for the Jews of north London then...

More convenient for the support generally than Stratford.

Funny enough, the east end used to be the home for the Jews, not Norf Lundun. My mum started working straight from school for some Jewish tailors in the east end.
...the east end used to be the home for the Jews...

There were lots of Jewish-owned rag trade businesses around Aldgate.

Mostly taken over by Asians now, although many retain their original Jewish name.

Shower tray waste pipe - R.P.
My neighbour here is in the trade - he "does" a lot - he knows others - I had a very positive experience with the alarm tech. The rechargeable battery failed (so alarm sounded after a power cut), I called him from the number on the system - he suggested the solution and promised to call. He didn't so eventually I got an OE battery from Amazon for 12.50 (seen it at 50 notes elsewhere) - researched the web found instructions for the system but needed an "engineer's code" by sheer chance he called the day the battery arrived - so he adviced what I needed to do and gave me the code. Fair dos - no charge..
 Shower tray waste pipe - sherlock47
If the plumber had any sense he will have installed a tray with a built in upstand to prevent leaks at the bottom edge of the tiles.

I have recently experienced a difficult to find leak and my only conclusion is that it is porous grout. The leak only shows itself 5 minutes after showering. Watch this space to see if any of the grout sealing products work.

I was talking to a plumber recently who had not ever seen the problem in 30 years, until he experienced it last month, with his own domestic installation!

Maybe there is some cheap and nasty grout around?
Shower tray installation on timber floor.

1. Ensure no movement. Fit solid Noggins (Bracing) between joists.
2. Remove floorboards. Fit 18 or 22mm WBP plywood screwed in place at minimum 200mm centres along joists and of course on every joist.
3. When tray goes in 'pump' edges FULL of silicon ensuring tray edges and walls are grease free. (Use Meths' to do this)
4. Bed tray on mortar if suitable or the compound used to fix plasterboard to masonry walls is suitable too.
5. Prior to bedding or fixing tray ensure that the waste is correctly connected (which should be obvious). Ensure all glued fittings are similarly grease free as above. Ensure that screw fittings are clean and operate freely and use a lubricant on rubber seals to relieve any surface tension in that rubber.

Other.

Don't use ready mixed adhesive. It rarely fully dries. Use a powder that you have to mix and use a reputable make, i.e BAL.

Fully bed all tiles.

Grout correctly, i.e full fill.

Best regards.................M
 Shower tray waste pipe - sherlock47
MD

Do you only try to use trays with upstands?
I have only ever seen one I kid you not. Everything is about detail, taking time, keeping clean and thinking it through. With shower trays we have never had a problem, BUT customers (90%) don't give stuff about anything other than price.

To add to my post above, of course walls shouldn't move either and any little crack can lead to moisture ingress.

Best.
 Shower tray waste pipe - BobbyG
An update, I have carefully cut some silicon from the kick plate panel and felt underneath and some water there.

But the actual drain hole seems to be loose so I have tightened that from the top and I will dry off underneath with a fan heater and then run some more water in a day or two and see if that, hopefully, is all that is wrong!
Oh

Heat, electricity, water, bathroom, FIRE!
 Shower tray waste pipe - Falkirk Bairn
A resin based shower tray seems to answer to leaky plastic shower trays.

My 3 sons seem to have all suffered from new build homes with leaky shower trays - the resin maybe 2 x the price but seems to fix the leaks at the tile/tray join.
The shower cubicle in the caravan is one piece of plastic.

The only possible places for leaks are the plug drain, the overflow, and where the mixer tap is mounted.

or the roof

Oh sorry, you were talking about the caravan..
 Shower tray waste pipe - Mapmaker
Before doing what Martin suggests, build it 8 inches up and put a waterproof layer underneath, together with a source of heat and some ventilation. All shower trays leak, but only in cold damp climates (like ours) does the water reach the next floor down...
 Shower tray waste pipe - Bigtee
This shower tray here has a lip on 2x sides were it sits just under the Aqua boards which is a better way than plaster boards & the base is nice and tough no movement as im no lightweight. :-)

For my waste is at a stupid angle so use a coolant hose from a truck to make a better fit rather than plastic tubing.
Latest Forum Posts