Non-motoring > Gas Fires Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 16

Gas Fires - BobbyG
Looking to put a gas fire into our extension.

Originally I wanted an open type that you could physically touch the flames . I would prefer not to get the glass fronted type that look a bit artificial to me and I certainly don't want a big fireplace surround for it.

However, having now done a day of touring showrooms it would appear that I now want a balanced flue one (ie straight out the back), I don't want the open type as these need an electric fan on them to remove the fumes and much of the heat with them. I am also told they can be draughty as well when they are not on. And noisy when they are on (I did witness this).

The balanced flue seems to be around the 75-85% efficiency whereas aome of the other type are well below 50 and thats only the ones that they actually give efficiency ratings for!

So it looks like we have gone full circle and will be looking at the "landscape" shape glass fronted fires.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions etc on whether the above advice I have been given is accurate, have your own experiences etc etc.

Any input much appreciated!
 Gas Fires - Vicar of Bray
we have a large balanced flue job. Just in cas the electricity goes off in winter.
 Gas Fires - R.P.
Legend is the make to go for (budget) unless you go for megabucks versions. Still just about made in the UK
 Gas Fires - Vicar of Bray
ours is a cast iron framed flavel
 Gas Fires - RichardW
"Any input much appreciated!"

Don't let your missus see the 'real' thing in a wood burning stove, unless you like chopping logs(*)! Stove more efficient than an 'open' fireplace whatever it's fuelled with.

Make sure you are not going to get in trouble with the location of the flue and the boundary, given the previous discussions on the windows in this extension in the 'other place'!

* actually I rather do, and I got to buy a chainsaw :-), and the wood burner we installed looks the dogs danglies in a way a gas facsimile never will.....
 Gas Fires - rtj70
I assume you don't have a chimney for a flue and to recess the fire into. We're looking at these for a new house (when we find it) but it would go in the chimney breast.

Found loads of nice fires online and locally in Manchester (Levenshulme).
 Gas Fires - BobbyG
Rob, I can basically have whatever I want in that the extension is getting built, if I want a chimney put in or a flue out the wall or a recess then it can be done just now at build stage. Its only a single storey so relatively easy to do.
 Gas Fires - BobbyG
Richard, I am desperate for wood burning stove - a few of the neighbours (guys) regularly gather at someone's house on a Sat night, drinking beer whilst burning either in a chiminea or if really cold, one neighbour has a wood burner in his shed.

However, I feel thats what they're all about, and I don't know if I would want one inside my house to sit in front of on a cosy settee whilst reading the paper. and my missus is dead against the idea as she doesn't want any smell working its way through the house (I am dispatched to the shower as soon as I get in from a fire on a Sat night)

No issue with flues etc with neighbours, the external wall it is going on is a couple of yards within my boundary.
 Gas Fires - Zero
First things first. Get the fireplace and proper chimney breast installed. It adds feature to the room.

Then I would get a standard fire irons and grate, and burn coal or wood. Get a second hand henry to clean it out.
 Gas Fires - Dog
>>> and the wood burner we installed looks the dogs danglies in a way a gas facsimile never will..... <<<

I wouldn't be too sure about that ~ www.straxgas.co.uk/inglenook.php
 Gas Fires - -
That looks lovely Dog, tried to find a price for it, can't, dare i ask?

Gas Fires - rtj70
Inglenook was the name of my last house. We called it number 29.

There's load of fireplace websites to look at. But a lot might not look right in a more modern house??

www.direct-fireplaces.com/
 Gas Fires - Dog
>>> That looks lovely Dog, tried to find a price for it, can't, dare i ask? <<<

I reckon you'd need to sell the Mercedes to afford that heater gordon!
I've got an ordinary 16" inset gas coal effect Straxgas that was here when we moved in.
They are very realistic coal effect jobbies and also throw out a fair amount of heat via convection.
 Gas Fires - MD
If anyone wants me to get them a price for a woodburning stove, woodburner etc. then ask here. I can often obtain very good deals. Don't want to supply though, I will just point you in the right direction.

M
 Gas Fires - Fullchat
We've had a small log burner fitted now for about 3 weeks. Less than 5 Kw so it does not need a draughty air vent.
I like the real fire but the downside is they have to be emptied of ash. Occasionally when trying to pop a bit more fuel on some smoke comes out of the front and the faint smell lingers a while.
They become a bit of a hobby, sourcing, chopping and storing wood. You become a wood Magpie scrounging offcuts and tree branches. Of course you can always buy it. Its a 'hunter gatherer' thing.
Naturally as a male you need a chainsaw and log splitter. Harvested wood needs to be stored for at least a year in an open but dry store of some kind. These burners do tend to eat a fair bit of wood but you can balance with coal or smokeless fuel depending on where you live.
The heat output is good but not quite what I expected. Whilst our chimney breast is in the room (as opposed to a flat wall and the chimney breast on the outside) it is therefore encased in an alcove which stores some of the heat in the brickwork. The freestanding ones radiate all their heat into the room space. Heat goes up the chimley so by keeping as much of the steel chimney in the room even more heat is radiated.
Overall -can't beat it!
 Gas Fires - MD
Hi FC. It will take you at least a year to get to know your woodburner.

Top vent for wood. Bottom vent for solid fuel (Homefire ovals) the only ones worth burning.

MD
 Gas Fires - Dog
- - - Fullchat, when you say log burner, you obviously mean multi fuel stove?
I had a small Dovre for 6 years and yes - the smell of smoke is all part of the 'joy'
Ours was in a barn perversion which had an open plan lounge, kitch/diner so when I (as in me) was cooking with the extractor fan going, it would draw smoke n' fumes into the lounge :)
I used to use Phurnacite but ya need to make sure its ok for your make of stove,
The Hobgoblins Homefire is very good as well :)
Different woods have different heat outputs, oak is slow burning and has to be burnt with another wood as well really - Ash was my favorite, very clean burning & left hardly any soot.
Beech was ok, I do miss the smell of a 'real' fire though ... watch this space!
The difference between burning wood & burning smokeless fuel, is that the s/fuel will still be alight come the morn.
Latest Forum Posts