Non-motoring > Strong advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 56

Strong advice - Crankcase
I've just experimented with putting a spoonful of Bovril in an Oxtail cuppasoup.

If you value your sanity, do not repeat this experience. My gullet, my beautiful gullet.

However, what things DO you add to food to "improve them" that other people think aren't normal?

I've always had jacket potatoes with butter and Marmite, but am told that is odd. Also "coffee" as a mug of milk with a spoonful of instant done in the microwave I find very palatable but apparently it's a heathen thing to do.
 Strong advice - smokie
Salt on peanut butter sandwiches. No idea why I started doing it, but anyone that sees me do it comments how odd it is. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.
I do that.
 Strong advice - Netsur
We make 'milky coffee' in our office every so often to cheer us up. My mother used to make it the same way for the Thermos when out on a picnic.

Peanut Butter and Jelly (Jam) PB&J surely - not PB&S? Very odd. Mind you I like jam and cheese sandwiches.
 Strong advice - Zero
Baked Beans served cold from the tin.
 Strong advice - MD
>> Baked Beans served cold from the tin.
>>
With fresh white bread and thick butter.
 Strong advice - Focusless
As a child, we always had apple sauce with roast chicken. SWMBO thinks that's daft.
 Strong advice - helicopter
I take some salt and then add a nice juicy steak.....
 Strong advice - Iffy
Salt has been demonised in recent years, but it is an excellent way to season - enhance - the flavour of foods.

There are lots of things which taste better with salt.
 Strong advice - MD
Seawater
Yes to cold baked beans from the tin, eaten with a teaspoon, over the sink at 1 am.

Too much information?
 Strong advice - Bromptonaut
Mustard rather than mint sauce with lamb
 Strong advice - Zero
mix dijon mustard, and brown sugar, smear over your lamb before you roast it.
 Strong advice - MD
And puncture it and insert whole Garlic cloves or even Anchovies......delishoouusss
 Strong advice - tyro
Salt has been demonised in recent years, but it is an excellent way to season - enhance - the flavour of foods.

There are lots of things which taste better with salt.

One of the best reasons to avoid processed foods these days is that a lot of manufacturers have lowered the salt content, thus making the food rather insipid*. As a result, for some items, you have to make your own if you want them full flavoured.

*An example was a cereal made by Quaker called "Oat Crunchies". They were criticised for their high salt content, withdrawn from the market, and relaunched as "Oat Crispies" or something like that. They looked the same, but lacked taste, IMHO.
 Strong advice - tyro
what things DO you add to food to "improve them" that other people think aren't normal?

I tend to add butter to things. Butter on digestive biscuits is probably considered normal enough, but I also sometimes butter to some cakes - like fruitcake.
 Strong advice - Old Navy
>> what things DO you add to food to "improve them" that other people think aren't
>> normal?

>>
>> I tend to add butter to things. Butter on digestive biscuits is probably considered normal
>> enough, but I also sometimes butter to some cakes - like fruitcake.
>>

That is a Scottish habit. It mildly surprised me when I moved, now we do it too.
 Strong advice - big bird
I was a development engineer occasionally working on the Oat Crunchies production line back in the 90s in a 10 storey building in Southall, very visible when on final approach to Heathrow from over London.

Quaker was bought by Pepsico around 2001 and I think the production was moved elsewhere, maybe they changed the equipment and so the taste/shape changed. The line wa ancient so I be surprised if they moved it.

Dan
 Strong advice - henry k
>>Salt has been demonised in recent years,
>>
but it is an excellent way to season - enhance - the flavour of foods.
>>
Not in our household it isnt.
For decades the only salt we have in the house is kept for guests or for de-icing the back step.
I sometimes have to accept low salt crisps but prefer not to.
For me salt detracts from the taste.
 Strong advice - Dr Prunesqualler
There is nothing 'wrong' with that at all. We do this now. Perfectly normal. Maybe it is a peculiarity of the North East?
 Strong advice - PeteW
Peanut butter and salad cream sandwiches....my guilty secret.
Try them - go on, dare you!
 Strong advice - Armel Coussine
Electric soup:

big slug ice-cold vodka
juice of 1 lime
quite a lot of worcester sauce
V8 vegetable juice (tomato if unavailable) to taste

Very nutritious.
 Strong advice - R.P.
Sweet and Sour Pot Noodle sandwich.....never ever try this. Please.
 Strong advice - bathtub tom
Devils on horseback.

I've never found anyone else who likes them.
 Strong advice - Mapmaker
Love devils on horseback.

And anchovies in my roast lamb.

Strong advice - Pat
Vinegar on sprouts.

What are Devils on Horseback?

I'm only asking because of all those out there who don't know, but are too scared to ask:)

Pat
 Strong advice - Zero
prunes wrapped in bacon.

As I hate prunes, its a no no for me.
 Strong advice - VxFan
>> What are Devils on Horseback?

tinyurl.com/352r53z ;o)
 Strong advice - Pat
They want to keep on galloping.

Pat
 Strong advice - Iffy
...What are Devils on Horseback?...

Prunes or pieces of liver wrapped in bacon to make a little parcel.

Dinner or drinks party food of a bygone era.

tinyurl.com/2wr266k
>> Peanut butter and salad cream sandwiches....my guilty secret.
>> Try them - go on, dare you!

Dare accepted.

I may not post for some weeks.
 Strong advice - R.P.
Damn it - I have a loaf, peanut butter and salad cream...
 Strong advice - Iffy
I have a slightly stale loaf, no peanut butter and some Co-op salad cream which is not as nice as Heinz.

I'm not normally brand fussy, but this Co-op stuff is just not the right stuff.

Strong advice - Zero
Please, at the very least use Helmans Mayonaise.
 Strong advice - Roger.
Bread, butter, Marmite, cold mashed potato, cheese, bread. A Sandwich made in Heaven!
(+ Optional; peanut butter if in stock.)
 Strong advice - sooty123
Strangest combination I ever saw, marmite on a slice of bread then dipped in either coffee or hot chocolate.
 Strong advice - madf
Any packet of instant pasta with lots of garlic...
 Strong advice - Ted
Try some cheddar cheese on the buttered digestives, Tyro. Butter on fruit cake is a must !
Cream crackers, buttered with strawberry jam on are nice.

Anything with mustard....you can chuck it down the garden for me !
Frted bread, must be Warburton's white. Nice and crispy with tinned toms on it. Healthy as well, all those toms.

For lunch I sometimes cut up an individual pork pie, add a cut up tomato to the ensemble and drizzle Heinz salad cream over it all.. Mmmmmmmm !

Celery with blue stilton stuffed up it's channel.

Ted
I did experiment with mixing coffee and tea once, in an attempt to find that new taste sensation.

There was certainly a sensation. I couldn't decide whether to call it "coftea" or "teafee", so settled in the end for "disgusting" and binned it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Jan 11 at 20:55
 Strong advice - Zero
Spot the similarity

V O M I T
V I M T O
 Strong advice - Iffy
...I did experiment with mixing coffee and tea once...

Good stuff.

It's that sort of pointless curiosity which drove some of this country's greatest inventors.

>>
>> It's that sort of pointless curiosity which drove some of this country's greatest inventors.
>>

If they mixed common beverages for fun then no wonder we lost an Empire.
 Strong advice - bathtub tom
>>I did experiment with mixing coffee and tea once

I wonder how many other people have done that and if that's the reason it's not sold. ;>)
 Strong advice - Harleyman

>> I wonder how many other people have done that and if that's the reason it's
>> not sold. ;>)
>>

Popular with the Chinese community apparently; one of our weighbridge clerks hails from Hong Kong, and she drinks a tea/coffee mix at work. She tells me it also ensures that no-one pinches her drink..... at least not after the first time!
I mentioned this one a while back on here:
Glass of decent malt whisky served with a digestive biscuit (note, a Hob Nob will NOT do).
Delicious.
How about salt on an apple - something my wife used to do.
 Strong advice - Perky Penguin
Mustard in cheese sandwiches, Marmite as a savoury drink, I always put some Worcester sauce in my bolognese sauce. Maggi seasoning is nice dripped onto crisps and is great with roast chicken. A bit pricey in UK - I buy mine for about 3 euros a litre when I am in Germany.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Thu 6 Jan 11 at 18:04
I forgot my old standby when really in dire straits - half a glass of cream soda topped up with milk.

It has a certain something.
 Strong advice - Zero
Ah reminds me

milk with malibu - ice cold Yummy

Try putting some single cream in that cream soda, thats really yummy
>>milk with malibu - ice cold Yummy

Malibu? With a Slim Panatella perhaps? A set of Cuban heels too and you could be Ken Worthington, the troubled impresario.
 Strong advice - Zero
I have the Cuban Heels, alas not the stogie.
 Strong advice - Manatee
>> Malibu? With a Slim Panatella perhaps? A set of Cuban heels too and you could
>> be Ken Worthington, the troubled impresario.
>>

I almost included John's "One Foot in the Gravy" in my iPod desert island list! The account of loosening the bolts holding Ken's satellite dish in case it was needed as a "lifecraft" in a flood would brighten the darker moments. (You have to hear it really).
 Strong advice - R.P.
Brilliant.
Ah, now I'm going to have to break out my 500 Bus Stops DVD again.
Ah, Maggi....
Maggi makes anything taste better (well, anything savory of course).
A favourite of ours when we come back from holidays is boiled rice and Maggi. Lovely.
It is not too expensive if you buy the litre bottles from chinese supermarkets such as Wing Yip
 Strong advice - Mapmaker
Three eggs with a dash of tabasco. Quick and easy supper - about 20 seconds from starting preparation to finishing.
 Strong advice - Gopher
Crispy bacon and marmalade sandwiches.
 Strong advice - PhilW
Thick white bread, thick layer of butter, thick layer of cold mashed potato, thick layer of sliced raw onions, thick layer of Heinz salad cream - just the job after a few too many pints! Sometimes followed by cold Yorkshire pudding filled with Golden Syrup!
Oh, and don't forget to have cheese with your Christmas/fruit cake.
Latest Forum Posts