Non-motoring > Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 35

Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Falkirk Bairn
The snow has gone but some damage to the roans in a newish housing estate. Brackets broken and 3 lengths down on my son's home - so time and a maybe 10-15 brackets on 3 x lengths. How much?

My son was quoted £500 by a joiner.

What would your expect to pay per hour? / for the job?
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - R.P.
About half that !
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - sooty123
What's a Roan?
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - L'escargot
>> What's a Roan?
>>

It's a horse which is red, black or brown with a few white hairs.
He has a rocking horse of some sort?
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Old Sock

>> It's a horse ....

Not surpring it's expensive, then :-)
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - VxFan
>> What's a Roan?

Typo for road.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - CGNorwich
What's a Roan?

Had never heard this word before so had a quick browse. Always easier to understand a word in context so here is an actual quote from another forum.

'I live in Scotland and a while back an old guy in Aberdeen was taken to court and fined for greasing his roan pipe'

Funny place Scotland
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Skoda
>> Funny place Scotland

If you find somebody old enough, and you offer to clean their gutters, they'll ask what you need the ladder for ;-)
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Zero
Whats a joiner got to do with it? unless the fascia is damaged as well.

Even if it is, this is a jobbing builder territory. 250 quid max including materials.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - bathtub tom
We could have a guessing game along the lines of 'call my bluff'.

My contribution:

Roan: A colloquial expression for a length of plastic guttering, deep-fried in batter.
>> My contribution:
>>
>> Roan: A colloquial expression for a length of plastic guttering, deep-fried in batter.
>>

Ahh all becomes clear.
Served with ice cold Irn Bru.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - MD
£495.00
Just got this year's car insurance renewal that I thought was appropriate to this thread.

28% increase! No change whatsoever to circumstances.

Looks like I'll be spending the afternoon shopping around.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Clk Sec
>>28% increase! No change whatsoever to circumstances.

Do have a close look at your excess, too. My insurers (no longer) tried to increase mine by 150%. This was well hidden on the back of one of the ten pages of their recent renewal pack writ small. It could easily have been missed.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - madf
Insurance companies manage to make Artur Daley look honest.

(and I am prerfectly serious).

Their sales techniques are abysmal and the only reason they make profits is that approx half their customers have excrement for brains at renewal time.

IIRC Arfur made a good living from dodgy dealing..
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Iffy
...Their sales techniques are abysmal and the only reason they make profits is that approx half their customers have excrement for brains at renewal time...

The reason they make profits is because it is compulsory to buy their product.

>> The reason they make profits is because it is compulsory to buy their product.

and frequently never manage to make any, profits that is.

You may all b itch and whine, compulsory or not, its a pretty competitive market and there is no reason to get ripped off if you are canny.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Jan 11 at 14:47
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - NortonES2
If you believe the accounts, you may be led to think they make a loss. Others know accountants are just another non-productive creative industry.
>>Do have a close look at your excess, too. My insurers (no longer) tried to increase mine by 150%.

They didn't do that, but there's four A4 sides of policy changes, including:

No cover if TWOC'd by a family member.
No MOT = no cover.
They may use non OE or re-cycled parts for repair
I pay them £200 to get it repaired other than where they want.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Iffy
....No cover if TWOC'd by a family member...No MOT = no cover...

Doesn't 'no cover' in this instance mean 'No cover for the insured, but third party risks still (reluctantly) covered?'

usually.
Here's the 'update' in full, I think the word must is conclusive:

"We have added a requirement that your car must have a valid MOT,if required and that items such as tyres and tinted windows must meet the legal requirements."
I've done the price comparison websites and a few major companies I can think of and there's only less than a tenner saving.

It seems strange they can all be so close, or is it my suspicious nature?
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - MD
>> I've done the price comparison websites and a few major companies I can think of
>> and there's only less than a tenner saving.
>>
>> It seems strange they can all be so close, or is it my suspicious nature?
>>
Car tel
not sure what you are using. I get a variation from 250 quid to 1250 quid.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Auntie Lockbrakes
And it's nor just in Britain! a lot of the flood victims in Australia are now discovering that their home insurance policies have flood exclusions. In one case a homeowner has been told that they are/were covered for flash flooding but not actual flooding....??! Wtf? Swines!
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Snakey
I went through the usual farce with my insurance company - quoted £380 and using a well known website got comparative quotes of £275.

One phone call later same insurer offers £275 - they obviously count on a percentage of people not bothering to check
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Dulwich Estate
Just tried to book a ferry to France. Last year off-peak prices of about £50 -£60 return were available and we did it several times. This year, mid-week in mid-February I'm looking at £70 to £90. Not only that, P&O are now wanting a £4 credit card surcharge (£2 last year).

The 2011 rip-off is beginning I fear.
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - CGNorwich
Shop around - you can still get a return for £58 inc fuel surcharge from DFDS, formerly Norfolk lines on the Dover/Dunkirk route. Actually find the service better than P and O

Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - Dulwich Estate
Thanks CGN - I know about Norfolk - in fact Norfolk want £50 + £1 Debit card charge from me for mid-February. I want to go south-west from the French port and Boulogne is ideal, but nobody goes there now and Calais is second choice. The slightly longer Norfolk Lines crossing added to the extra fuel cost and extra time makes it less of an easy decision.

Now that Speedferries has gone and LD Lines pulled out it makes it easier for the Dover companies to push up the prices.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 18:57

>> Now that Speedferries has gone and LD Lines pulled out it makes it easier for
>> the Dover companies to push up the prices.

They went bust because they were not making any profit. Making a profit for the first time in years is hardly a rip off is it.

Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - smokie
ISTR the French held the boat to ransom for a week or so against unpaid port bills, which somewhat impacted their profit-making ability!
And why didnt they pay the port bills? Because they were broke?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 20:17
 Rip off Britain alive and well in 2011 - smokie
Well yes, there was that... :-)
Latest Forum Posts