Non-motoring > B&B recommendations, Manchester please. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 46

B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Badwolf
Hello all, and a very happy new year to you all.

We have tickets to see Take That at the City of Manchester Stadium on June 5th and I really can't be figged trying to find somewhere legal to park, then battling my way out of where I've parked and through the traffic to the motorway. So I'm thinking of finding somewhere to lay our weary heads.

It must be cheap (ie under £60 for the both of us), clean and within a mile of the stadium.

I've tried the usual on-line suspects, ie Active Hotels, Laterooms etc etc but they only seem to have the larger chain hotels which are too expensive.

So does anybody who lives in the area know of any B&Bs that fulfill my criteria?

Many thanks, as always, in anticipation.

B.
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Perky Penguin
This may help, came from Googling for B&B + Manchester stadium

www.lodging-world.com/search.uk.england.greater_manchester.manchester.html

Whetever you do, under no circumstances stay at the Britannia Hotel in New Street! Trip advisor will tell you why!
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Iffy
Ask Ted nicely and he might let you sleep in the caravan on his drive.

Should be warm enough in June.

B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - RattleandSmoke
Bit of a treck to Teds though from stadium land. The problem is the Stadium is in a bit of a hellhole and there still isn't that much around the area. I am pretty sure are few Holiday Inn type places on the site now though.

Most the decent hotels are in the city centre which is about 1.5 miles away but you will probably want to avoid that due to parking.
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - borasport
If you can stretch to 1.5 miles, there is the Manchester/Salford Campanile, and this link
www.campanile.com/en/specials/index.aspx?WT.mc_id=NBCAUKPROMO&ls=1
suggests rooms from £29 per night, though you probably need to book 3 centuries in advance

Edit - damn, I misread 'citiy of manchester stadium' as 'manchester nynex arena', which tells you how long ago it was i used to work there
Last edited by: borasport on Mon 3 Jan 11 at 18:16
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Netsur
Not a good idea to stay anywhere near the CoMS. However when I go to watch MCFC, there is parking in the Stadium car parks (access off A6010 Alan Turing Way) for £10 and unofficial parking for £5 in the buildings off Edwin Road (just to the west of the stadium off A662 Ashton New Road).

If you tell me where you are coming from, I can probably give you some suggestions as to reasonably priced hotels. Do you intend to do anything else in Manchester during your visit or simply go the concert and then go home the next day?

Last edited by: Espada III on Mon 3 Jan 11 at 18:23
Thanks to all for your replies so far.

Espada, we're coming from Southport and will probably only be 'doing' the stadium. The B&B really needs to be within walking distance (1.5 miles max). The annoying thing is that both of my stepchildren live in Withington (ish) but there's nowhere for us to crash at either of there gaffs. Or so they tell us...! :-)
There is a Travelodge in Gorton but its not a nice walk back. The Picciddily side of the city centre is in easy walking distance and there will be 1000s of people walking into the city centre but parking could be an issue.

It is basic and the area is not great but parking won't be an issue

www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=285

Having said that a lot of the city centre hotels will offer parking for around £10 and most of them are very good quality.
Badwolf,

The bigger hotels may come in on budget nearer the time.

For example, take the newish Ramada near the pier at Southport, which you will know.

I paid £80 for dinner, bed and breakfast between this Christmas and New Year, booked about three weeks ahead.

They are talking about £50 room-only (up to two adults) in January.

For those that don't know, it's four star, with enormous rooms, including a fridge, individual climate control, room safe, designer bathrooms etc etc.

www.ramadaplazasouthport.co.uk/

If you can stretch your budget a tiny bit and be patient, I think it's likely one of the hotels near the stadium will do the job.

But Take That are in town it will put prices up on a lot of the local hotels though I am not sure how that will compare with say a local football match. I guess the big difference is people often want to stay in a hotel after a gig/concert but after a football match they just go home.

B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - scousehonda
Try the Old Trafford Lodge at Lancashire cricket ground. Very reasonable prices, decent accommodation and free parking. It's got a metro-link station on site as well. Mind you it's probably fully booked via ticketing website rip-off merchants by now.

I've used it loads of times for concerts at the MEN Arena and reckon it's good value.
Its not a bad place that, the only downside is getting there from East Mancherster. The Stadium is about 1.5 miles east of the city centre. By then there should be a Metrolink service running to the stadium but who knows what delays there could be with that.
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Runfer D'Hills
I think I'd go early, park near the venue, spend what you had budgeted for a room on a very pleasing early supper and drive home after the event. If it was me...
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - rtj70
It's not the best bit of Manchester to be wandering around late at night in. I think I'd go home if I lived as near as Southport too.
Looking at the Travelodge website they have already hiked their prices for June 5th. The nearest Travelodge is at Sportcity and on the Saturday is unavailable but on the Sunday it is only £19.50. The next closest is on Ancoats and is £109.65 (which is about £35 on the Sunday).
I have stayed in both those travel lodges (I won't say why but erm.... the other choice was a Ford Ka) and I would not want to paying anything like £100 for either of them. I am sure even on the 5th of June you could get the 4 star Ramada for that.
Think that is what I would do. Get there early find a parking space, go into the city centre get some decent food and then maybe get a bus to the stadium (they are very frequent and only take 15 minutes - the 216) and drive back.

I agree - its only Southport not London. Drive home after the concert.
Thanks again, all.

The main reason for wanting to stay over was so that I wouldn't have the hassle of finding somewhere to park, then joining the countless thousands trying to leave the same small area at exactly the same time. No problems with driving back to Southport at all - it's not exactly a journey that's new to me!

I think, though, that we will have to drive back on the night. I have found a hotel called the Sandown - www.hotelsandown.com/ - which looks ok and has availability on the night in question at £40 for the two of us. If the walk isn't too perilous for us, it might be a goer.
Harpurhey is not a great area - drive home.
Ah, fair enough.

Right - next question. Can anybody recommend somewhere decent to park around the CoM Stadium...? :-)
I really don't know why they stick these things in the middle of know where, I mean the stadium itself is built on an old coal mine.

There really should be more decent hotels ajoining the stadium but I suppose it is supply and demand, it is mainly used for football and not concerts.
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - BiggerBadderDave
"the stadium itself is built on an old coal mine"

He could park down there.
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - R.P.
....among the minor celebrities ?
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - VxFan
>> "the stadium itself is built on an old coal mine"
>>
>> He could park down there.

Might be a bit Chile.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 10:22
He'll get shafted though...
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - VxFan
Only by a miner amount I would have thought.
You ae the pits !
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Clk Sec
>>He'll get shafted though...

I doubt it. Quite a slack regime down there...
See my post above about parking in and around the stadium.

You do not want to stay at the hotel mentioned. Not a great location and I drive past it often enough to think that it might not be that great.
A few years ago I stopped in the Castlefield Hotel, which is 1.1m from the Arena, according to Google Maps.

Decent enough place, in a decent enough location, not far from the Granada studios.

The walk is through the centre of Manchester, which is about as safe as you will get.

I've just checked a sample date in June and it's showing £59 room only for two adults.

The OP could do a lot worse than Take That.

www.castlefield-hotel.co.uk/
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Bromptonaut
Stop worrying about the car and take a train to Manchester?

Advance fare probably less than £35 return for the both of you.
Thanks, Iffy but I think you've got the CoM Stadium mixed up with the MEN Arena :-).

It's a 3.2 mile walk from the hotel you mentioned to the CoM Stadium!

But ta anyway.

I think we'll definitely be driving back after the concert.

Bromptonaut - sadly the last train leaves Piccadilly for Southport long before we could get there after the concert.
Last edited by: Badwolf on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 10:47
...Thanks, Iffy but I think you've got the CoM Stadium mixed up with the MEN Arena :-)...

Oops - never make a bus driver, will I?

I think Take That are playing at Sunderland AFC's Stadium of Light, so I should have known it was a stadium tour.

B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Bromptonaut
>> Bromptonaut - sadly the last train leaves Piccadilly for Southport long before we could get
>> there after the concert.

Thought that would be the case, it's a trial to catch both the encore and the last train from the NEC or Wembley to Northampton.

I had rail and hotel in mind.
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Ted
Harpurhey deffy a nono. I've done a lot of work in the area.
The Sandown always looked like mostly DSS occupied flophouse.

Ted
A very succinct and I think accurate description, Ted
Thanks that is handy to know :).
Can I revitalise this thread to ask if anybody has any recommendations for parking near the Manchester MEN/Nynex/whatever its called these days Arena ?

ta
The Boddingtons one is probably the best, its about £3 a day not sure if it is 24/7 though. There is a car park next Victoria Station where the Arena is but that costs a fortune. It is not realy my end of Manchester as its "north of the library" but I know there are quite a few car parks within walking distance which are very cheap.
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Dave_
I would just Google for it and go with the best-promoted one. When I went to a concert at Wembley Arena before Christmas I spent an age looking around online for free or cheap parking near tube stations or close to the arena itself, but then the friend I was going with booked a £20 space literally outside Wembley Stadium itself. Cheaper than a hotel. There are bound to be similar facilities in Manchester, I would have thought.
Quite often the cheapest car parks are not promoted though, because they are essentialy justy a plot of land which was supposed to be a massive building project but the was a victim of the crunch.

I think the Boddingtons car park is one such site.

tinyurl.com/6ez35ec
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Ted

If you're not staying the night, why not come off the M60 at the A56 junction.
The A56 runs parallel to the Metrolink and there should be easy free parking near one of the stations. I had a look at the car park at Sale station today while waiting for an Altrincham Tram. Quite a few spaces which should be free of cars in the evening. Dane Road has a large pub car park next door. Catch the Bury tram and get off at the MEN. arena.

Ted
Borasport

When are you going and are you still coming in from Wigan area?

The car park under the Arena is not that expensive and there are loads of 'sites' that do 'ad hoc' parking for Arena events for about £5.

As Rattle said, maybe get the tram from a convenient stop (Whitefield/Prestwich)?
EIII - tonight ! (don't you dare look up what's on there tonight)

Recommendations for somewhere to eat beforehand would be appreciated.

We might end up going on the train yet

B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - Focusless
>> EIII - tonight ! (don't you dare look up what's on there tonight)

Couldn't resist after seeing that! Well at least it's not a boy band :)
 B&B recommendations, Manchester please. - SteelSpark
I'm not sure what it is called but there is a hill near the stadium. There's a road going down the other side of this hill. I'm pretty sure there is a hotel there.
Latest Forum Posts