Non-motoring > Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 15

Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - VxFan
Got some bottled water in the shed (12 x 2 litres bottles). Out of the 12 bottles, only one had frozen up.

It was in the middle of the pack and none of the other bottles next to it froze up at all. Why did that happen then?

Similarly, I have a 5 litre container of screen wash (mixed at a ratio of 1 part screen wash to 4 parts tap water) in the other shed that has gone like slush puppy, but the 5 litre container of bottled water next to it hasn't frozen up at all.

Anyone care to explain why?
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Fenlander
Oddly all our bottled water in the shed hasn't frozen but my 10% mixed screenwash has.... and a 6 pack of Tesco diet ginger beer has exploded one by one over the cold week.... as in the tops being blown out of the cans and the frozen liquid showered like snow over the floor.
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Number_Cruncher
>>Anyone care to explain why?

Perhaps more of the bottles had been frozen, and the one in the middle was simply the last to thaw?
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Manatee
NC are you Edward de Bono?
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - VxFan
>> Perhaps more of the bottles had been frozen, and the one in the middle was simply the last to thaw?

Good thinking, but I noticed it a few days ago when temperatures were still in the minus figures.

Re: Gingerbeer. None of the coke zero's, diet cokes, and Carlsberg cans froze up either. The 12 x 2 litre bottles of water were Tesco 'own' brand but I think the 5 litre container of bottled water is a named brand.

Could it be that bottled water has a lower freezing point than tap water, but one of the 12 bottles *might* have contained tap water? Reminds me of Del boy's Peckham Spring.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 21:04
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Fursty Ferret
Perhaps one of the bottles had some sediment to form a freezing nucleus and the rest were simply super-cooled?
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Iffy
I have tap water in an old 2ltr Coke plastic bottle in the boot of my car.

It froze during the recent cold spell.

I'm surprised the bottle didn't burst, although it wasn't full and the bottle is designed to take the pressure of the fizzy drink, so it might be stronger than it looks.

Shame the same can't be said for static caravan pipes....

Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Cliff Pope
Good thinking by N-C.
I had a very similar occuence recently, and he would have been spot on in his suggestion.
I discovered the washing machine was frozen solid around the inlet valves. It is in an unheated scullery, but in a well-protected area, and nothing else had frozen, even exposed taps.
The answer was that presumably on the very coldest day, everything must have frozen, but 2 days later, with milder weather, it had all thawed apart from the washing machine. Last in, last out!

There must be a name for the phenomenon in deductive reasoning, where events happen in a manner that simulates time running backwards for a while, because we often only take observations as snapshots, rather than by continuous observation.
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Zero

>> There must be a name for the phenomenon in deductive reasoning, where events happen in
>> a manner that simulates time running backwards for a while, because we often only take
>> observations as snapshots, rather than by continuous observation.

If you don't see it it, it never happened.

Its the whole "tree in a forest thing, if it falls and there was no one there, did it make a sound"
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Fenlander
In our case we go to the shed twice a day minimum and the mineral water bottles never froze and the ginger beer cans did.
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Tigger
>> The 12 x 2 litre bottles of water were Tesco 'own' brand but I think the 5 litre container of bottled water is a named brand.

There's the answer! The branded one clearly has a different additive pack when it comes out of the delivery tanker. Probably gives better MPG and cleans the inside of your stomach too!

;-)
Strangely, it could be that the one at the centre was originally warmer?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - Hard Cheese

>> Strangely, it could be that the one at the centre was originally warmer?
>>

I was thinking that, you can test it yourself on a cold day (say minus 1 or below), put two saucers of water outside, one warm water, say 15deg, and one cold, say 5 deg, and the warmer one will invaraibly freeze first.

Otherwise back to the OP's point, it could be to do with a pressure differential between the bottles.

Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - swiss tony
>> Strangely, it could be that the one at the centre was originally warmer?
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
>>

That is why I can never understand people 'de-icing' their car with warm/hot water.
If you do, then it will probably re-freeze harder.....
 Bottled water. One bottle frozen out of twelve. - CGNorwich

We had this discussion on the HJ site. Out of scientific curiosity I experimented with two containers of water in the freezer. One warm and one cold. The cold water froze first. I tried again with the same results

Would be interested if anybody else repeats the experiment and finds otherwise
>> That is why I can never understand people 'de-icing' their car with warm/hot water.
>> If you do, then it will probably re-freeze harder.....
>>
I can't understand them because they get a sheet of ice on their drives just where they'll be standing to de-ice the car the following morning
Latest Forum Posts