Non-motoring > Hedgehogs out tonight. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 20

Hedgehogs out tonight. - Kevin
We have a hog box at the bottom of the garden where Horace lives.

Haven't seen him since mid November but he/she's out tonight looking for grub.

header typo corrected
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 18:33
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - rtj70
I assume you'll be feeding it. And know what to tempt him/her with?
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - FotheringtonTomas
Crikey! It must be the thaw. The birds are going potty as well, due to frost heave and the thaw softening the soil surface a great deal. He'll probably be back home shortly.

How do you know he's out, by the way?

I have considered getting a bird box camera for use with hodgehegs etc. Could be a good wheeze.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Cockle
Item on our local radio today about hedgehogs and the effect of the early snows.

Apparently they are very concerned that as many as 60% won't make it through the winter due to being undernourished for their hibernation, most will starve to death whilst asleep. The problem centres around the fact that, according to the 'expert', hedgehogs bulk up through November and December and start hibernation at the end of December and due to the snows not only have they not been bulking up but living off the fat already stored to get through the snow - a double-edged sword. A hedgehog needs to weigh a minimum of 600g to survive hibernation, most being brought into the local sanctuary are well below this with some having a bodyweight as low as 200g. They are particularly worried about baby hogs, who always struggle to bulk up quick enough, they haven't seen any up to the required bodyweight, and were appealing for anyone who sees a hog looking thinnish, or any babies out and about to take them into the sanctuary and they will attempt to nurse them through the winter. They said that this winter could be one of the most critical for hedgehogs in living memory.

Should imagine there are many other of our small mammals struggling as well.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Dave
I have a hedgehog near me that I have seen for the last few years. Certainly last winter, it was below zero constantly from mid november until late march, but the dogs still found him (alive) in the summer.

Talking about hibernation, what happens to all the toads? My area is over-run with them in the summer, so they must have a super long hibernation as well.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Leif
I'm sure you know that dog food is supposed to be a good food for Hedgehogs and milk should be avoided, too rich or something.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Stuartli
>>..and milk should be avoided, too rich or something. >>

For the same reason why cats (and other mammals) shouldn't be given milk contrary to belief, only water, because of lactose intolerance.

However, occasional small amounts are regarded as acceptable, although lactose free milk is available to give to cats.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Leif
>> For the same reason why cats (and other mammals) shouldn't be given milk contrary to
>> belief, only water, because of lactose intolerance.

A lot of Chinese and other asians are lactose intolerant. It is ironic that a lot of Europeans are moving to soya milk, whilst in China cow's milk is all the rage.
>> It is ironic that a lot of Europeans are moving to soya milk, whilst in China cow's
>> milk is all the rage.

It is interesting - however, the consumption of soya milk in China is far, far lower that the consumption of cow's milk in "the West". They don'd drink it by the pailful as happens here; the per capita consumption of soya-based food is generally about 1/3 oz (10g) to 1 oz (30g) daily. Not very much.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - CGNorwich
Traditionally in China drinking milk by adults was considered uncivilised and rather repugnant. Something that inferior races did. I was once told that by a Chinese woman that to a westerner it would be roughly equivalent to drinking spit!
They will eat that - you can give them worms and beetles, too. Their table manners are *dreadful*, though, and their habits are most insanitary. Dirty and smelly little animals, but they have some charm.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Kevin
>How do you know he's out, by the way?

Forgive the late reply FT.

Mrs. K spotted him trundling across the lawn towards the spot on the patio where we leave food and water out for him. She crept out and left him some peanuts.

He loves peanuts but is very fussy and will only eat the healthfood stuff. We once gave him some bird nuts and he just kicked them around the patio.

Kevin...
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - MD
Our Vet', a very affable Aussie Guy, assures us that Dogs are fine with milk if they have always had it, something to do with Enzymes. Our Two younger Labradors have milk maybe once a week or fortnight and they are fine.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Zero
Every dog I know will happily guzzle milk with no side effects (unless you give them pints of the stuff)
Dogs will eat anything, and usually do. If they can't eat it, they roll in it. That reminds me of a rude joke.
>> If they can't eat it, they roll in it

Only if it smells rather more noxious than they do. Fox poo - ewwww yuk!
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 22:07
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - bathtub tom
We had some, erm, itinerants staying nearby, briefly.

A colleagues Labrador found it liked eating the stuff they left behind!!!
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 23:29
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - Stuartli
Labs will eat anything and everything given the merest of opportunities.

But superb temperaments and fantastic with children, however unruly they prove.
>> but they have some charm.

They have fleas is what they have. Poor Fifi was like the canine version of an American Cruise ship (infested with thousands of undesirable fat hungry passengers) after she met a hedgehog in the garden.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 20:18
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - MD
I hope he didn't Prickle her.
 Hedhehogs out tonight. - corax
Give it some creosote and fags.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnsQ31-xT4
Latest Forum Posts