Non-motoring > Thaw damage now ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 17

Thaw damage now ! - Ted

Got up late today, flu symptoms meant I didn't feel too good. Hope it's not swine flu...I'll be pig sick if it is.
We had left the heating on .14 last night but it didn't come on...or rather it did but the radiators didn't. SWMBO wanted a bath but she couldn't get it very hot
Pressure, thought I. It was down so I cranked it up to about 2 Bar...Combi boiler.

I noticed the small extension on the back of the kitchen was all steamed up....strange !
She went in an found the floor covered in water. It was coming from under the washer so I pulled it out and could hear water being injected round the back. The red hose was hot.
Isolated the pipes and took them off. They're ok, both hold pressure.

Concusion....the metal unit inside the machine, which controls input, has been frozen up, split and leaked when the thaw came.
Am I right ? I know little about the workings of these things, although if I have the part I can generally fix it.
It's a Whirlpool, not very old. I'll take the back off when my hands work again and have a look.

There's nobbut owt wrong, what wi' meither and clutterbucks !

Ted
 Thaw damage now ! - R.P.
Seems we got away pretty lightly here - there was a bow in on the back guttering this morning, now gone...some people down the road weren't as lucky their entire front guttering has come down taking the sat dish with it...

Outside tap piping (blue plastic) was lagged just before the snows and the tap encased in a polystyrene box - although it was frozen up seems to have thawed out ok with no leak.

Thaw damage now ! - RattleandSmoke
You don't have much luck sometimes Ted!

I have the same bug as you I think, fell asleep yesterday afternoon for no reason. Woke up al blocked, been in bed all day today with flu symptoms but it is not the flu. I have plenty of energy but I am just aching, keep sneazing, can't breathe, got a sore threat, got a nasty cough and feel light headed.

However I don't feel half as bad as I did when I got swine flu last year.

Hopefully Ted it is just a nasty bug, if it was swine flu you wouldn't be well enough to get out of bed, swine flu really does make you feel like you're knocking on heavens door!

No idea about the washing machine but I don't think it really got cold enough last night to cause any damage.
 Thaw damage now ! - Runfer D'Hills
Sorry about your wife's washing machine Ted. You must remember to scold her for not lagging it or draining it down or whatever they are supposed to do with them when not in use. Not really good enough is it, especially if you are not up to snuff on the health front to boot ? Still it's Christmas so don't be too hard on her, just so long as she's made aware eh?

Rained all day here but still some residual snow and ice. Bit worried about the possibility of a dry fine day later in the week. Might feel compelled to wash a car or two. Mine both look like they've been down a salt mine.

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 27 Dec 10 at 16:42
 Thaw damage now ! - R.P.
In fairness the BMW has come up surprisingly clean....some snow property...needs a good clean inside now, oh and heated seats are really the business...
 Thaw damage now ! - Ted

Ah well, Humpers. I've already been on Google Earth and identified a place where she can get down to the Mersey without too much difficulty. There seem to be some big stones there so all might be well on the washing front.

Ted
 Thaw damage now ! - Tooslow
Dog may be able to recommend a laundradrome and you could score points by taking the washing there.
John
 Thaw damage now ! - Dog
>>Dog may be able to recommend a laundradrome and you could score points by taking the washing there<<

Well, I've watched Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy twice since Xmas day and I was a'gonna watch it again last night but my £50 DVD recorder seems to have gorn TU but I'll take a spanner to it later on.
 Thaw damage now ! - Runfer D'Hills
You are a good sort Ted. I hope she realises how much you do for her. I deliberately bought a house backing on to a canal for similar reasons of convenience.
 Thaw damage now ! - Aretas
Seven days ago I woke up to smell gas in the porch and garage. Immediately thought all hope of heating over Christmas was gone. (Family full of grotty symptoms). Pretty swift response from my call to the panic line, but thankfully they could find no fault in our house. However, an hour later I saw the van a 100 yards up the road and the sound of a pneumatic drill. Perhaps a lucky escape....
 Thaw damage now ! - Old Navy
>>
>> Got up late today, flu symptoms meant I didn't feel too good. Hope it's not
>> swine flu...I'll be pig sick if it is.
>>

Not had your flu jab Ted ? This years one does pig flu as well as standard issue flu.
 Thaw damage now ! - Ted

Yes, I've had all that....administered by our very pretty practice nurse, Sarah.
I don't expect this is flu....probably man-flu

Similar symptoms as Ratboy.

Ted
 Thaw damage now ! - -
>> Yes, I've had all that....administered by our very pretty practice nurse, Sarah.
>>
Of the heaving and tantalising bosom, as Nurse Gladys Emanuel perchance?

What's the bungalow situation in your part Ted...yes i know lights on and no one upstairs..;)
 Thaw damage now ! - Ted

Funny you should mention bungalows.. There's a 3 bed one within sight of our house.. Our good freind Betty left there for a flat 12 yrs ago. It sold quickly and the new owner Lance has been working on the place since with no sign of him moving in........he was 90 this year !

I offered him 80K cash for it last year but he didn't bite...ideal for my youngest and her family....ah well.

Ted
 Thaw damage now ! - Fursty Ferret
>>
>> Yes, I've had all that....administered by our very pretty practice nurse, Sarah.
>> I don't expect this is flu....probably man-flu
>>
>> Similar symptoms as Ratboy.
>>
>> Ted
>>

And me, though was at work today since it came on while in a hotel at work. Just spent 2 hours in the bath and my head's still bunged up, though only the right hand side for some reason!

Got through the day with mega doses of Otrivine, into the rebound effect now.
 Thaw damage now ! - Dog
>>my head's still bunged up, though only the right hand side for some reason!<<

Could be the other side is empty - I had a friend like that once.
 Thaw damage now ! - Old Navy
I may be sinusitis, that sometimes only affects one side.

You weren't flying at 30odd thousand feet with the window open were you ?
 Thaw damage now ! - R.P.
He's got a scarf...Woke up this morning and it has all gone, warm and damp today - the world has lost its monochrome brightness and strangely green, the grass is strangely flattened though - there are cars parked like beached whales in strategic places....very strange.
Latest Forum Posts