Non-motoring > Video Game Machines. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

Video Game Machines. - R.P.
Which one is best - I know that PS3 will show Blu-Ray DVDs etc, I think it will also access iPlayer. Then there's the Wii - currently it won't play discs but apparently that's due to change, then there's Xbox...
 Video Game Machines. - Zero
your choice of games machine is determined by the software you want to play on it.

The lad got call of duty - black ops for his xbox Superb Graphics and game play. Another part of the family brought their Wii round to do karaoke, and Wii Dance - crap graphics but huge family fun.

Really the secret is to check out the software titles, and then buy accordingly.

My slight preference, is PS3, mostly because the xbox makes a renault seem like a paragon of reliability.
deleted duplicate
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 27 Dec 10 at 12:14
Some baragains to be had on PS3 - it is a Black Ops thing mainly... ;-). There were reliability issues with the PS3 weren't there - overheating ?
 Video Game Machines. - Runfer D'Hills
Video games....really? Crickey. My ten year old likes them. Can't quite see the attraction myself but fair enough, maybe it's me.
>> My ten year old likes them.

You need to see Black Ops in action. 10 year olds banned, Its not for them.
 Video Game Machines. - Runfer D'Hills
Or me !
 Video Game Machines. - RattleandSmoke
It really depends on the games. The PS3 will play Blueray but think of it is a bonus feature. It is no match for the quality of a dedicated blueray machine.

In general

The Wii is for casual gamers who want a quick 10 minute play while waiting for somebody to arrive. The game play is pure and simple but the graphics are some years behind.

Xbox - In the middle some really good proper games but also a lot of casual titles.

PS3 - For the hardcore gamer

Both PS3 and the Xbox suffer from reliability issues because they are made too cheaply and the solder joints often melt due to very poor cooling.
Little unfair on the Wii there Rattle

We have several fun hours on one, mainly it has to be said a lot of us, and fairly pie eyed at the time.

I have some great video of Nicole doing Wii Dance.
 Video Game Machines. - SteelSpark
>> It really depends on the games. The PS3 will play Blueray but think of it
>> is a bonus feature. It is no match for the quality of a dedicated blueray
>> machine.

I use my PS3 primarily as a blu-ray player these days. I'd say that it is more than a bonus feature. It is probably not as feature rich as a standalone player, but if the feature you want is "it plays blu-ray movies", then it seems to do that very well.

It has the nice feature that you can run movies from a USB key, or copy them directly to its hard drive. Also, they are continuing to improve it on the software side, including adding 3D support (probably not the kind of support you would get on another player).

>> Xbox - In the middle some really good proper games but also a lot of
>> casual titles.
>>
>> PS3 - For the hardcore gamer

Personally I would say that both of them are suitable for hard-core gamers, as the vast majority of titles are available on both. Aside from that, both consoles do have exclusive titles, but I don't think that the PS3 ones are more for hardcode gamers than the Xbox ones (Bioshock, for example, was an Xbox exclusive for example).

That said, the PS3 is more powerful and so there are some games that arguably couldn't be made for the Xbox, whereas any exclusive Xbox game could eventually be released for the PS3 too.

For me, the PS3 wins simply because it has the Blu-Ray support.

As for the Wii, it may well be that now that the Xbox and the PS3 have their own motion controllers (Kinect and Move, respectively) that there will be far more "casual/party games" available, which will make the Wii less appealing if you do also want support for HD movies and/or games.

Of course the PS3 slim fits niceley under the TV in the black and chrome stand.

The Xbox is still an ugly old brick that fits in nowhere, and scratches the CDs you stick in it.
Plus the huge external power supply

Its a nasty thing really.
 Video Game Machines. - sajid
for me a pc, however the games dont work on my ancient pc 6 years old, going to replace it for a current upto date rig which will play games at the highest resolution, have a emulator called mame which allows to play arcade titles, in terms of hardware and flexibility you cant beat the pc.
Sajid, I have the best current hardware going.

You wait MONTHS for xbox and PS3 games to appear for the PC, if they appear at all.

The PC is no no longer a gaming alternative, despite having more gaming horsepower than racks of xboxes or PS3's.

I will go a step further, I would suggest that PC video cards are now more powerful than needed and completely useless overkill, being only able to run games designed for and ported from much less capable games machines.

edit, No games are written just for PC these days.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 27 Dec 10 at 13:22
As the PS3 and xbox age though that will change. I've seen the cycle many times before and the PC will once again become a popular gaming platform. At the moment the PS3 is too just too cheap and that is what is effecting the PC.
>> As the PS3 and xbox age though that will change.

Nope. The PC is a dead gaming platform. In fact the PC will die as we know it. Its on a, at the moment, slow decline that will accelerate as we move to a cloud based architecture.
The PC will always be better but it depends on the cost.

The graphics card alone will probably set you back close to £200.

I need to upgrade mine really but just got better things to spend my money on at the moment.
PS3 has it at the moment - I used to use my PCs for gaming (including the original Doom games etc) I bought ToD for Mac last year but fancy seeing this stuff in HD on a big screen....
 Video Game Machines. - rtj70
The Original xbox 360 had reliability problems because of overheating. They called it the Red Ring of Death because the red light came on. To be fair Microsoft extended warranties and fixed them.

Subsequent xbox designs have made overheating a lesser problem because they shrank the chip size. Latest slimline versions of xbox and PS3 cheaper to make because they shrank the insides. What took a few chips now needs one smanller, cheaoer, cooler one.

The xbox will access Sky Player, iPlayer etc and so will the PS3.

When I play games like CoD I find I want to use a keyboard plus mouse snd not a controller.
 Video Game Machines. - Skoda
PS3

Capable Bluray player (frequently updated with the latest standards, e.g. 3D recently, not bad for folks who bought their PS3's before 3D was even considered for mainstream)
HDMI (+ Optical Out if needed)
LoveFilm streaming online (also allows ordering a film to arrive on bluray via post)
iPlayer
YouTube XL
ITV online (new)
Channel 4 on demand (new)
DNLA client for media served off the PC
Plays all sorts of common film formats off an external usb HDD / Flash drive (Xvid, DivX, mp4 & various others)
Photo album function, pretty good if you load it up with all your pictures or just stream off your PC
Music player (CDs, DVD Audio, MP3s, streaming)
Gran Turismo 5 game + Call of Duty are essential purchases :-)
The Play TV (SD only, no HD) freeview is cheap (£35) and works pretty well for watching / recording TV shows via an aerial
PSP remote is sometimes quite good, it works as a remote desktop for the PS3, so you can watch your stored media on the PS3 or recorded telly from a wifi hotspot away from the house. Also for PS1 games they can be played on both the PSP & PS3 synchronising save games etc.

Bad bits (IMO)

Not as good games selection as the xBox
The music playlist function is crap (easier to keep music on the PC and create playlists there)
The remote is Bluetooth, so it doesn't work with IR all in one remotes (Logitech sell an extra device for their Symphony remotes but it's not worth the money)
The DVD upscaler is not as good as even Sony's stand alone bluray players
No ability to easily send a picture or movie from a mobile phone to the big screen, there's a free DNLA server app for the iPhone but it's a faff no matter what way you dress it up
I think that settles it ! Thanks..
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 27 Dec 10 at 14:59
Latest Forum Posts