Non-motoring > What did Santa bring you ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 26

What did Santa bring you ? - Ted

Best present for us this year arrived on Christmas Eve, son and his partner came round with some pressies for the little ones and announced that she was expecting a baby. Early days yet so nobody else told. They were off to Blackpool to her parents for Christmas. Cam as a shock to them as they've got no Grandkids yet !

Someone in our family initiated a system where each adult bought a present for one other, the names being picked at random. Partners bought for each other and the littlies got pessies from everyone, of course.
I landed my Son's name...he wanted a set of good kitchen knives.
My eldest girl got me and bought me the only thing I really ever want....vouchers from the Model Railway shop in Altrincham.

I bought TTQ a rather expensive food processor, a DVD, a chunky cardigan ( picked by me ! ), a DVD player for the bedroom and some good headphones for the talking books on her MP3. A Hairy Bikers cook book completed the line-up. I got a very nice working model of a Great Central Rly heavy goods locomtive in 4mm scale and a wireless weather station.
My birthday this week, so anticipating a few moe vouchers and she's booked Friday for a trip to the shop to buy my birthday loco ! Anticipation levels on high setting at the moment !

Ted

What did Santa bring you ? - Pat
I got a lovely snail carved with a chainsaw, some natural driftwood signs for the garden and some real Welsh slate place mats I'd wanted for ages.

There's a bit of a theme there!

As it was our wedding anniversary on the 22nd we treated ourselves to a Wii Fit Plus, which is supposed to keep me mobile on stiff days, and this morning I have a stiff neck and can't walk straight.

Pat
 What did Santa bring you ? - bathtub tom
Some rotten so-and-so got me an addictaball:
www.addictaball.com/

No-one's managed to get more than a third of the way round the damn thing yet. I'll probably still be swearing at it when they bury me. ;>)
 What did Santa bring you ? - Zero
>> I got a lovely snail carved with a chainsaw,

Is that from the travelling artisan who camps with his family on various laybys round the east Midlands and fens and Lincolnshire Wolds? He has done some great stuff.
 What did Santa bring you ? - henry k
A Worx electric leaf blower that looks as if it has come from the Dyson school of art.
Daughter insisted I assemble it and try it out. Forget the destructions ( No RTFM for me) and switch it on. It was set to blow and the room was then treated to many Christmas cards fluttering down.
I ws tempted to send son outside to try out his Hi Tek (or is it Geek ) gloves that allow him to keep his pinkies warm while operating his Iphone but being the season of goodwill I let him stay in.
That's the one Zero, I just love what he does.

Pat
 What did Santa bring you ? - legacylad
For my future intended I gift wrapped a box containing an apple, orange, banana and lip salve. She was not overly impressed. Even less so than the, again beautifully wrapped, Subaru brochures. No pleasing some people.
A short while later she perked up with the Icebreaker 100% merino base layers and top of the range Salomon girly ski helmet.
I bought my own presents to myself..and wrapped them....SWMBO simply has to pay my boss. Outdoor/ski gear for me. Haglofs ski pack, Helix ski gloves, base layers and Teko ski socks. Perfect.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 27 Dec 10 at 11:57
My Lad got the Haynes "build your own engine kit"

He's moaning that its impossible to build because the cam belt wont fit.. I might tell him some time later he has the cylinder head on the wrong way round.
 What did Santa bring you ? - Harleyman

>> He's moaning that its impossible to build because the cam belt wont fit.. I might
>> tell him some time later he has the cylinder head on the wrong way round.
>>
>>

That's what you get from following the destructions in a Haynes manual! :-)
 What did Santa bring you ? - R.P.
Did Rattle ever get his going ?

Talking about Haynes - Kevin in the Street, bemoaning that his lurrvve child had been dumped on him complained that "There no Haynes Manual for one you know" well he's wrong...

www.amazon.co.uk/Haynes-Baby-Manual-Conception-Years/dp/1844250598

What did Santa bring you ? - Mike Hannon
This is a well-known issue! We bought one for my grandson but warned his father first. He says it'll be more of a challenge.
I hope it's better than the Haynes-branded car kit my sister gave me last year. It was Chinese-copied complete carp.
 What did Santa bring you ? - BiggerBadderDave
We got 3 more frying pans this year, bringing our total up to 10.
thats a lot of bacon and eggs.
 What did Santa bring you ? - R.P.
BBD,

Is this some sort of "domestic" arms race ??!
Strangely enough, I had to lend 2 frying pans to a friend this Xmas. I have, of course, kept the best one for my customary blueberry pancakes.
 What did Santa bring you ? - BiggerBadderDave
"Is this some sort of "domestic" arms race ??!"

I wasn't aware of it until yesterday my wife asked me how many frying pans I thought we had. I wonder if one would fit in Santa's mouth. I'll let you know next year if he tries to deliver another.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Mon 27 Dec 10 at 13:54
 What did Santa bring you ? - Stuu
I got that Ben Collins book from the misses, should be an interesting read. Also got the Michael McIntyre book aswell, which has some promise.

Stranger presents included a hedgehog house and a Stig keyring torch ( what?! ).

Also we seem to have a lifetime supply of biscuits and chocs, which are now organise into sell by date.

Have nasty flu so not enjoying it all like id like, but its still a nice time of year and being ill, I get to avoid going to see my aunt, which is an xmas bonus of much value.
 What did Santa bring you ? - Tooslow
"base layers " yup, I insist that the stuff I wear when I'm out walking is a "technical base layer" and most definitely NOT "thermal underwear".

Well I'd like to say thank you (and here it is - "thank you") to someone on this forum who recommended the LED Laser torch. It's brilliant, in more ways than one. Superbly well made and incredibly bright. It beats my Maglite hands down.

The Ctek battery charger means I can keep the mower battery charged and not worry when I remember just after I get into bed that it's still switched on. I can also charge the car battery in situ if need be, not something I'd trust the ancient hand me down from FiL to do.

A Ring tyre pump seems very lazy to me but after having to pump up all 8 tyres (his 'n hers) I decided it was time for one. Only £20 inc p&p. How do I know? Well I take the precaution of buying my own presents! I do hate waste. I'm quite happy if you don't buy me anything but waste does upset me. No, I don't want a pink cardy with Father Christmas on it, in size XXXXXXXXXL. But I'll pretend I do :-(

Best of all - the in laws have gone!!!! She drives me nuts. I don't think she made one sensible remark the whole time she was here. "Oh is that coffee?" she said as SWMBO brings in the gravy, and then cackles for 2 minutes at her wit. Ah well, Peace on Earth and all that.

John

I agree wholeheartedly with you Tooslow on the buying your own pressies thing. Nothing worse than being bought 6 bottles of expensive stout/brown ale/rum!! beer when the girls should know i only drink blonde beers, preferably bitter. Hate to sound ungrateful, but...
Buying your own presents is the future.
Especially when I have the time to research things properly and not rush into into it amongst crowds of shoppers. Good old Amazon.
 What did Santa bring you ? - DP
Gran Turismo 5 was my star pressie this year, thanks to Mrs DP.
This evening, I will mostly be attacking the Top Gear test track in an air cooled VW camper! :)
 What did Santa bring you ? - Skoda
>> This evening, I will mostly be attacking the Top Gear test track in an air
>> cooled VW camper! :)

Haha you'll save yourself the cost of a barbers trip now. When it starts growing in again, i suggest the 300SL on the Nurburgring for shedding the locks again ;-)

Or maybe you'll ace them both and i'll have to kick the PS3 or something :-P

I've just finished assembling the present i really wanted, between the 2 of us we've splashed out well over a grand (young love eh) but my favourite prezzie of them all...

A £35 creeper for rolling about under the car that folds into a rolling stool for doing brakes. Sweet!

Cat's happy with the box it came in too...
 What did Santa bring you ? - Runfer D'Hills
>> Best of all - the in laws have gone!!!!

I thought I'd detected a certain lightness of mood in your recent posts John...

:-)
 What did Santa bring you ? - Fursty Ferret
Kindle 3G. It's BRILLIANT.
 What did Santa bring you ? - Roger.
Bah - humbug - I bought myself a belt & SWMBO bought herself a long top/short dress thingy.
Didn't bother wrapping them - saved a bomb on useless cr*p.
Sent £££ to daughter & family - job done.
 What did Santa bring you ? - mikeyb
My Mrs got me a bottle of bombay saphire....and that was it.

Its about the kids in this house so we tend to just get each other a token gift and then treat ourselves in the sales
Shall we have a car4play pressie swap shop then?

I'd like Stu's hedgehog house and the build your own engine kit please.

In return I can throw in some solar ducks and a garden planning book.

My garden would never be planned......and there's some pink spotted shaggy socks too:)

Pat
 What did Santa bring you ? - Fenlander
Like landsker and mikeyb we don't do the big present thing for each other. I get some aftershave and she gets a bottle of malt. Kids get more but by and large we all get what we want throughout the year when we need it so there is rarely a specific item at Christmas/birthday.
Latest Forum Posts