Non-motoring > Silly short pop/rock quiz Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 22

Silly short pop/rock quiz - RattleandSmoke
Please email me the answers and I will anounce the winner:-

1) What links The Pogues with Ewan Maccoll?

2) In the mid 1970's while at work Ian Curtis witnessed something which inspired one of Joy Division's best known songs, what was it?

3) What links Robert Smith (The Cure) with John Robb (Goldblade, Membranes) and Coronation Street? (it is not Manchester)?

4) What Stephen King novel links with the Ramones?

5) Which Birmingham heavy metal band which formed in 1968 had a habbit of doing breaking what?

6) Which popular UK artist who has had many hits in many decades was born in India?

7) What links Sir Oswald Ernald Mosley with the Bee Gees? (it is not Manchester!).

8) Which Rover was a feature of a certain hit for a certain Sheffield bands video in 1981?

I realise the questions are a little hard, they are designed to make you think rather than get the answers of google in a split second. I am also sorry for a slight bias :p

Who ever gets most right wins :). My email address is displayed in my profile :).

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 19:21
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - MD
Dusty Springfield.
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - Dave_
Your email isn't visible in your profile, otherwise I'd do it. I try and do Popmaster every day.
Sorted it, my profile should now be visible.
I'm working on it now... Google is a wonderful thing :)
Google will help it may take a bit of research :).
I knew two of them straight off, but manc rock isn't really my thing so I'm doing a bit of delving now! Keeps me busy lol.
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - Ted

Not even going to attempt this one, Ratto. Do one on Classic and I'll have a go !

Ted
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - Robin O'Reliant
They're so laughably easy I won't even bother to answer them.
Ted you should get number seven :) You would have almost known them.

Robin go on see if you can beat Dave, he has got three right :).

I had to make the questions a bit obscure because there was no point in saying who had a hit with xxx in xxxx because the answers can be found out in seconds. Some of the questions are very hard.
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - Runfer D'Hills
I don't think I know any of them I'm afraid. At peace with that though.

:-)
OK I might as well reveal the answers later :).

The only link I know in no. 7 is that the Mosley family and the BGs lived around here.

Don't know if old Ozzie M ever did though.

Ted
Oswald was the clue, rather than Oswald Mosley :).
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - Woodster
Rattle -will you post the answers on here when you've got a winner please?
I will do.

Only got two in so far :). Also because the questions are a little vague in some cases more than one answer may be valid.

The Mosleys owned Barlow Hall, now Chorlton Golf Club.

I was in the same year as one of the Gibbs at primary school, Rats....you know where !
Solved !

Ted
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - MD
Didn't they 'Do' Toothpaste?
The answers are :-

1) What links The Pogues with Ewan Maccoll?

Dirty Old Town - Ewan Maccoll wrote the song. The other much more indirect link is Fairy Tail of New York - Kirsty was Ewan's daughter so half a point if you said that, but the correct answer was Dirty Old Town.

2) In the mid 1970's while at work Ian Curtis witnessed something which inspired one of Joy Division's best known songs, what was it?

She's Lost Control - I didn't really expect anybody to get that one but Ian Curtis worked for an elipsy charity before he knew he had it. While he was there he saw a girl have an eliptic fit and that is what inspired him to write the song.

3) What links Robert Smith (The Cure) with John Robb (Goldblade, Membranes) and Coronation Street? (it is not Manchester)?

A hard one, Robert Smith, John Robb were both born in Blackpool. Coronation Street has strong links with Blackpool.

4) What Stephen King novel links with the Ramones?

Pet Sematary - The Ramones wrote the cover song for the film version of the book.

5) Which Birmingham heavy metal band which formed in 1968 had a habbit of doing breaking what?

Judas Preist - Their most famous hit is Breaking the Law however there is probably a lot of heavy metal bands formed in Birmingham in 1968 which broke things!!

6) Which popular UK artist who has had many hits in many decades was born in India?

The easiest of the lot, Cliff Richard born in 1940 in Lucknow as his parents worked there.

7) What links Sir Oswald Ernald Mosley with the Bee Gees? (it is not Manchester!).

The Bee Gee's went to Oswald Road Primary school, the road being named after Sir Mosley.

8) Which Rover was a feature of a certain hit for a certain Sheffield bands video in 1981?

The answer was an SD1, Human League - Don't you Want Me.

Just need to double check the answers from the two people that did between them they got most of them but none of them got the same ones correct.

The winner was RTJ who got 4/8 correct followed by Dave TD who got 3 correct.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 23:40
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - rtj70
>>5) Which Birmingham heavy metal band which formed in 1968 had a habbit of doing breaking what?
>> Judas Preist - Their most famous hit is Breaking the Law however there is probably a lot of
>> heavy metal bands formed in Birmingham in 1968 which broke things!!

And there's me thinking the link was (for a bonus point at least) Black Sabbath because Ozzy married Sharon who managed Smashing Pumpkins. Answer 5.

And I did wonder about the Sheffield group... I thought it might be ABC.
I think that question was too vague to be fair. I know people would be thinking of Ozzy so it was a kind of trick question.

The SD1 question was supposed to be one of the easy ones as it was one of the few things apart from rusting that car was famous for.

If a Rover featured in a 1981 video for ABC you can have it though!
 Silly short pop/rock quiz - rtj70
>> If a Rover featured in a 1981 video for ABC you can have it though!

No idea. But just thought I'd join in. Might have won anyway.

My claim to fame as a student was saying I didn't want that 'band Oasis' playing. So we cancelled them.
Hehe I bet you were quite shocked when they became big then.

Rather like Rob Gretton not signing the Smiths in the early 80's as they thought they wouldn't sell any records.

Well you did win but only because only two people bothered with it, but then I didn't give it much time. I know the questions were obsure but they have to be otherwise people would just use google and get the answers in seconds.

Latest Forum Posts