Non-motoring > Coffee shops Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 69

Coffee shops - smokie
All the shops in my local town seem to be being fast replaced with coffee shops. Apart from wondering whether this will really support the economic recovery in the longer term, I really quite detest them. They try to appear sophisticated, giving their staff fancy titles, when all they really are is the new MacDonalds, with their overpriced packaged products and rather indifferent service - in fact, positively slow, if there is anything like a queue ahead of you.

There, got that one off my chest at last... :-)

Am I alone with these thoughts?
 Coffee shops - BobbyG
No - I love a Costa coffee from time to time, especially when I am waiting for the train.
But each time I do have a fight with my conscience as to whether I can really pay between £2 and £3 for something I can get at work or home for next to nothing.

Maybe its just the Scotsman in me........
 Coffee shops - Zero
I am a cafe Nero regular.

Known in Zero Palace as "cafe nerd"
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 09:39
 Coffee shops - Focusless
>> I am a cafe Nero regular.

Wow, that must be some pension you're on!
 Coffee shops - Pat
I miss Coffee Nation since coming off the road.

Pat
 Coffee shops - -
Oh good another pet hate of mine.

I've tried their machine brew a couple of times, overpriced tat and i wouldn't pay 20p for a cup of the muck.

They try to appear so med/Italian and it just don't come off with a regional British accent let alone the more usual accents heard.

I used to nip in to a particular supermarket for a proper pot of tea and toast if i could park nearby, i see costalot has taken over many of the previously decent little cafes that brand had.

Give me an old fashioned Brummie cafe where you can get a mug of tea or decent filtered coffee and a varied tasty breakfast with some friendly banter thrown in anytime.
 Coffee shops - tyro
"when all they really are is the new MacDonalds, with their overpriced packaged products and rather indifferent service"

That is grossly unfair to McDonalds. McDonalds prices are very reasonable, and the service is generally pretty good.

As for these new fangled coffee shops, well, they are not entirely my cup of tea, but I guess some people like them.

"But each time I do have a fight with my conscience as to whether I can really pay between £2 and £3 for something I can get at work or home for next to nothing."

Aye, Bobby. That's exactly the way I feel. Though in my case, it's only about half a dozen times in my life, and then, usually in airports!
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 11:08
 Coffee shops - Alanovich
I admire the businesses for creating a market, thereby making money out of nothing.

I feel sorry for the poor fools who think they're in an episode of Friends whilst they're getting ripped off on Reading high street.

I prefer to patronise the excellent, friendly, traditional, slightly scruffy caff two doors from my local Costa, where I can get a proper cup of tea for a third of the price and not suffer the laptop brigade sneering at me and my children for daring to go out in daylight.
 Coffee shops - commerdriver
Creeping in everywhere now, on a few large client sites, including the one I am on currently, the coffee shop on the first floor supplies Starbucks coffee, in fact the list of options - tall, grande etc is about the only thing around here without a Welsh language equivalent!
 Coffee shops - spamcan61
Christchurch is becoming infested with chuffin' coffee shops, the high street will soon consist entirely of charity shops and coffee shops. Even the local McD's has got in on the act by having a total interior makeover to make it look like a Starbucks.
 Coffee shops - R.P.
I'm building a database of places where a "milky coffee" doesn't mean a poncy Italian named coffee in a PFD taped glass mug.....
 Coffee shops - hjd
I very rarely drink coffee, and most of these coffee shops can't serve a proper pot of tea. I want my tea made properly in a pot and served with a cup and saucer, plus proper milk. I don't drink tea where the teabag is dumped in a mug and left to stew, later to be awkwardly removed. At least that means I don't waste money in coffee shops!
 Coffee shops - Iffy
...the high street will soon consist entirely of charity shops and coffee shops...

I was talking to a shopping centre manager about diversity on the high street.

Part of the problem is the lowest common denominator - money.

Few things have the several hundred percent profit margin of a cup of coffee, so these operators can pay the highest rents.

I was told that in Australia rents are regulated depending on the type of business.

So a greengrocer can get cheaper space per square foot than a fashion or coffee shop.

It's an interventionist policy and yet more regulation, but it does help keep different types of shops going.

My contact was in favour, although such a policy doesn't help landlords get the most for every unit they let.
 Coffee shops - Ted
Like Zero, I enjoy a Nero coffee, usually a Mocha. I like to get a take-away at the station and enjoy it on the 20 min trip into town.
I'm quite happy to frequent ordinary cafes for brekkie or lunch but never have coffee there, only a tea. Many years on the road and visiting transport cafes and garages have taught me that they usually buy the cheapest instant coffee available. Tea, usually is OK, even if a cheaper brand.

If you're in Manchester, the best Mocha I've ever had was at the buffet at Oxford Road Station. The girl made it half and half drinking chocolate and coffee. A real caffeine shot..
There's often a mobile coffee shop in Piccadilly that does great coffee to go for a quid !

Really, if you like something, then have it. If you don't, don't bother !

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 16 Mar 10 at 23:57
 Coffee shops - BobbyG
Oi don't mock charity shops!!! :)
 Coffee shops - Zero
I have a local italian caffe* with chairs and tables outside so its good to walk there with the dog and sit watch the word go by.

If out and about , its Cafe Nero first choice, with Costa second choice. I will drink dog pee rather than enter a Starbucks: apart from the coffee being weak pathetic and less taste than the aforesaid dog pee I object to the whole corporate ethic of Starbucks.

* I am trully fortunate. I have two thriving local shopping high streets within 10 minutes walk in either direction. Butchers, bakers, hardware shop, co-op, waitrose, caffe, two pubs, independant car goodies shop - you name we have it locally.
 Coffee shops - R.P.
I've taken to taking the paper to the local caff of where I stay in Wales - nice milky coffee - its a classless sort of place. Some Army lads on leave there last week oh - Pete's Eats in Llanberis.......funny thing retirement.
 Coffee shops - Statistical Outlier
Ah, Pete's Eats. One of the finest pints of tea you can get anywhere, and a mean veggie chilli. Happy days, I'm sitting at home drinking tea out of one of their pint mugs right now.
 Coffee shops - Duncan
>> in>> Wales - in Llanberis.......>>

You're not Welsh, are you?
 Coffee shops - R.P.
Just sort of moved there by osmosis really
 Coffee shops - Iffy
...Just sort of moved there by osmosis really...

Thought it was by bike and Honda. :)

Speaking of motorbikes, I drove the CC3 over Hartside Pass in Cumbria yesterday.

Fabulous piece of road.

Now that you've moved PU, I'm guessing it might be nearer for you.

It's the A686 Penrith to Alston road, and there are other 'biker routes' in the area.
 Coffee shops - spamcan61
>> Oi don't mock charity shops!!! :)
>>
They're about the only shops on the high street I use these days! Everything else is off the internet.
 Coffee shops - kensitas
I used to frequent more & more often than I do now when living in Brighton & London, but here in N.Wales the ambience isn't quite the same - i.e. it's too wet and/or cold and/or windy to sit outside, as is my wont, to puff away while drinking coffee.

I steer clear of franchised operations - they're too 'menu bound' - you can't ask for, for example, 'a double short shot with same volume of hot milk please, in a 5oz cup' (a small cappuccino size) - you're faced with incomprehension and 'Is that a macchiato then?' or similar.

PU - there is a nice place in LLandudno (if you tire of Pete's Eats & are out shopping in Ll)
non-franchised, just down from the HamBone cafe opposite the town hall (at least it looks like the town hall, or maybe registry office).

Apparently people who make the coffee in the 'posh' franchised places like to be called a 'barista' - so you can get legal advice with your coffee I suppose... I've been tempted to call them something else on occasion.

I think GDP in the future will be generated by us all giving each other haircuts or making coffee, with occasional stints down the pub.
 Coffee shops - Zero
> - you can't ask for, for example

Beg to disagree. As long as you are clear in what you want, most will do it as you like

For example, Nicolle likes filter coffee but is dairy intolerant. She asks for, and gets:

"A small single shot coffee topped up with hot water and steamed (not frothy) soya in a jug on the side"

I like medium strong coffee but not with shed loads of milk, so I ask for and get:

"A medium double shot americano with a layer of steam foamed milk on top."

Coffee shops - kensitas
>>Beg to disagree.As long as you are clear in what you want, most will do it as you like

Well, until you frequent the coffee shops in the areas I frequent it's a moot point really.

If you found the description of my ideal cup understandable (which I think it is), the same request in my neck of the woods meets incomprehension, 'best fit' to a menu item,or poor to bad execution.

Coffee shops - Alanovich
I'm tempted to go in to one of these places and ask for a "cup of coffee".

I wonder what I'd get.
 Coffee shops - R.P.

I wonder what I'd get.

No doubt the same look as I get when I ask for a Milky Coffee - "Will that be a Latte Sir ?"

Coffee shops - Crankcase
Trying to be too clever, we went to Milan a couple of years ago.

We swanned into a coffee shop and made sounds along the lines of "due latte per favore".

There were some raised eyebrows, but we perservered with our order.

Oh well. We just had to pretend we wanted mugs of hot milk all along.

*I'm now smacking my own wrist because of the inelegant way I told that anecdote, but hey ho. Stet.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 15:03
 Coffee shops - Zero
>>
>> I wonder what I'd get.
>>
>>
>> No doubt the same look as I get when I ask for a Milky Coffee
>> - "Will that be a Latte Sir ?"

Well what is a "milky coffee"? How strong do you want it? cold milk? hot milk? How much?

YOu dont walk into a used car showroom and say "i want a white car"
 Coffee shops - R.P.
Never had any trouble with that request in proper cafes - Hot frothy milk on top of filter or instant coffee - nice.
 Coffee shops - Iffy
'Black with cold milk' is my usual order, which is generally filled correctly by even the densest member of staff.

I do sometimes wonder what I'm missing out on, with all these mochas, lattes, skinny lattes, cappucinos americanos etc.

A young lady opposite me in a cafe in the Lake District yesterday had something in a large glass with squirty cream on top.

Looked quite tempting - and that was just her.

Coffee shops - Vicar of Bray
pulled up at our local hospice warehouse sorting point a couple of weeks back. Reversed up to the doors in the van..
On seeing the vast pile of film dvds we wer donating, someone said 'someones blown a lot of dosh here'

Mistook me for a collection driver, due to the van.

I just nodded, gulped and said nothing. Mrs oilrag was less forgiving upon being told.
 Coffee shops - Vicar of Bray
cos it was herself that bought them ;-)
 Coffee shops - BobbyG
Good on you oily, us Hospices need all the donations we can get!

snip - comment removed
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 12:56
 Coffee shops - BobbyG
Dave, why did you remove a comment that charities are suffering due to the amount of clothing donations that are being stolen from doorsteps?
This is a huge well known problem across the country affecting all charities that raise money through clothing donations?

Surely we are not going down previous roads of modding? Thought this site was going to be different?
 Coffee shops - VxFan
>> Dave why did you remove a comment that charities are suffering due to the amount
>> of clothing donations that are being stolen from doorsteps?

Bobby, it was to do more with who you mentioned that were doing the stealing.

To quote from the offensive message that arrived in my inbox "Sorry, but this is purely speculative, prejudice and highly offensive."

Vx.
 Coffee shops - BobbyG
Dave, OK fair point, but whoever reported it is obviously misinformed.
I will leave it at that.
 Coffee shops - SteelSpark
I tend to go to our local Starbucks and occasionally Costa quite regularly with the wife and kids.

Yes, these places definitely sell coffee that is far more expensive but I find it a much more relaxing environment than a cheaper cafe. The more comfortable chairs and the space make a difference with the kids, and I do like their coffee. Also, I personally find them quite family friendly, lots of groups of mother with young kids most days.

Perhaps a little bit of a luxury to go out with the family and have an hour or so in a relaxing environment with a nice cup of coffee and something to nibble on, but when I compare it to everything else we have to fork out for these days, I'm not going to worry about ten quid here and there.
 Coffee shops - Dave
The last time I visited my old home own in West Sussex, the high street had indeed been taken over by dark-wood lined coffee places. Those that weren't were either greetings card shops or mobile phone outlets.

Whatever happened to woolies, wimpy, or john menzies?
 Coffee shops - Bellboy
well you wont get me in them
i earn every penny by graft not as a number on a pay slip
so i would rather go in the greasy caff, in fact as a a little treat i do every friday morning
£3.50 full breakfast toast and as much tea as i can sup
 Coffee shops - Iffy
I'm sure I remember the Benny character from the TV series Crossroads being served a cup of coffee.

"Black or white?" someone asks Benny.

"Neither, I likes mine a sort of browny colour," he replies.

I think he might have been talking to 'Miss Diane' at the time.

Oh, for the days of hammy acting and wobbly scenery.

Coffee shops - R.P.
All good storylines though.
 Coffee shops - RattleandSmoke
All the shops on my local high street have been replaced with bars, take aways and resturants but I shouldn't complain too much as I use them all :).

Its better than borded up shops.

I am more of a clubber than a bar man though as I found the bars can be a bit image obsessed and often play dry sort of house music and I am more of a rocker.

I never get why they have rock/indie juke boxes during the day and then at night they employ D&B or house DJs.

I never really got cofee shops but I am finding I myself using them more - it must be a sign of age. There is a Costa coffe in Didsbury which is a laugh as its full of people on their laptops posing.

I think maybne the country is drinking less.
 Coffee shops - MD
>> I think maybne the country is drinking less.
>>
There are uneducated fools everywhere Rats and it is up to thee and me to get them back on the road to DRINKING. You do the fancy stuff and I'll do the real ale!!
I am into real ale too although german stuff is my favourite (thanks to an expensive trip to Berlin).

That said more often or not I don't drink when I meet people, I just reverse drinking for a proper night out. I can't be bothering having a couple of pints as I can't work or drive afterwords.
 Coffee shops - BobbyG
I am like that as well, I tend to either not drink, or have a good bucketful. I don't see the point, especially if outwith walking distance, to have a couple of drinks that means you have to get taxis / lifts etc.
But in the house I will have a beer or glass of wine without needing another.
 Coffee shops - BobbyG
And your mention of Wotherspoons, visited a huge one in middle of Harrogate on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Rugby was on TV, plenty of reasonable priced drink and food, and the place was very busy so the missus could do lots of people watching!!
 Coffee shops - Zero
I always knew weatherspoons was full of undesirables. Its now been confirmed ;)
 Coffee shops - Bellboy
yes the weatherspoons in harrogate is very nice
was in one in castleford the other week very last year that one
i always find one when im not driving and in a strange town as i know the beer is always fresh and cheap and the toilets usually to a high standard
i used to email the company quite often on my sojourns (how sads that?)
Last edited by: Bellboy on Wed 17 Mar 10 at 19:53
 Coffee shops - MD
Keeps 'em on their toes BB. Not sad at all.
Wetherspoons is the perfect place to meet and chat to your mates in. I don't want the AD/DC or Sex Pistols blasting out if I am trying to have a chat. Just very good beer at decent prices.

The food is always ok too never anything special but is always the same and never makes me ill.

Coffee shops - Runfer D'Hills
Ordered two medium capuccini in Preston today in a Costa. Did me for nearly a fiver but at least they provided two buckets full of frothy coffee. When did medium start meaning a pint ? Who wants a pint of the stuff ? Thank the Lord I didn't order large ones, they must come in plant pots. ( Tried and failed to get anyone to smile in Preston again, is there something they are all deeply and permanently upset about in that town ? )
 Coffee shops - Dave_
>> Tried and failed to get anyone to smile in Preston again, is there something they are all deeply and permanently upset about in that town ?

Funny, I've noticed that there too! It's the only place I've been in mainland UK where I found a petrol station with coiled razor wire all around the top of the shop, and they were serving through the night hatch at 9 in the morning. That was a good 15 years ago too, I could kind of understand it if it were in more recent times ;-)
Probably because they failed to become a city although I think they did get their 'city' status in the end.

Maybe they are all depressed because they live too close to Blackpool.
 Coffee shops - Dr Prunesqualler
The cafe in our local tesco is now a Costa or similar. I was persuaded to go for a brew after the weekly shop recently. Their menu board offered medium, large and extra large and the server offered me the same choice. i requested a small one which i duely received. I asked why she did not offer me that size and was told it was company policy not to. weird

Also, it always cracks me up to hear the word Latte in a broad Yorkshire accent. Doesn't sound right somehow.
 Coffee shops - Ted
>> The cafe in our local tesco is now a Costa or similar.
That brings forth a further gripe, Dr. P.
Our Asda had a cafe...do yer shopping, stick it in the car and then go for a full monty.

Now what ? It's only a sodding MacDonalds now !!!

Went to our local B&Q today, it's too small to have a cafe. There's a little catering van on the car park. I had a superb bacon barm/batch/muffin/bap ( suit yerselves ) Plenty of good tasty bacon for £2. She had a sign saying she now used Nescafe coffee,
I got chatting, naturally, as she was about 20 and very pretty. Not the usual swamp donkey with a spatula and tattoos ! Turned out it was her own business, it was scrupulessly clean as well. Good for her, I told her. Nice to see kids making a go of something a bit different.
Hope she does well....I know where I'll be breakfasting now and again !
I commend it to you Rats...it's even nearer for you.

Ted

Yeah its even walking distance! Thanks for the tip, never seen the van in the car park before though but then I usualy go there when its quiet.

Coffee shops - Ted

Well, Me and 'Er are off to stay with friends who live in the Lyvennet Valley in Cumbria this weekend.. Lots of good Jenning's Ales and micro breweries, village coffee and cake sessions. Pub lunches, dogs and horses. I even look forward to the drive, leaving the M6 at Milnthorpe, where we have lunch. Taking the A6 through Kendal and over to Shap Village where I turn right and take the road to the East. No mobile reception, no PC, so the Cams will be silent !

Can't wait !
 Coffee shops - Statistical Outlier
I embarrased myself asking for a white coffee in Miami the other day. They don't call them that, it's a coffee with milk. I'm pretty sure the Latino lady I was ordering from thought I was using racist terms. Very embarrassing, although I tried to explain I didn't get the feeling I'd made friends..
 Coffee shops - Pat
Once the hole is dug 'tis always better to jump in with both feet:)

Pat
>> well you wont get me in them
>> i earn every penny by graft not as a number on a pay slip
>> so i would rather go in the greasy caff in fact as a a little
>> treat i do every friday morning
>> £3.50 full breakfast toast and as much tea as i can sup

My salary is a number on a pay slip, I had never previously realised that it means I have worked less hard for my money.

Anyway, you can't take it with you can you?

Same could be said for taking the missus out for a meal (I can do you steak and chips for under a fiver at home love), on holiday (what's wrong with a deckchair in the back garden) or to the pictures (it'll be in blockbusters for three quid in a couple of months).

Sometimes the enjoyment you get is not necessary inversely proportional to how much it costs. Mind you, to me it's all just numbers on a pay slip :)
 Coffee shops - Zero
Hey I am just a number on a payslip and dont even work any more.
That must make ding dong spit.
 Coffee shops - Duncan
>> Same could be said for taking the missus out for a meal (I can do
>> you steak and chips for under a fiver at home love) >>

I can take you to a place near me which does steak/chips/peas etc plus a drink - pint of beer or a glass of wine - for less than six pounds. Now that's what I call value.
>> >> Same could be said for taking the missus out for a meal (I can
>> do
>> >> you steak and chips for under a fiver at home love) >>
>>
>> I can take you to a place near me which does steak/chips/peas etc plus a
>> drink - pint of beer or a glass of wine - for less than six
>> pounds. Now that's what I call value.

And they dare to say that the age of romance is dead! :)

Anyway, I just got two sirloin steaks for 6 quid from Tesco, say 50p each extra for oven chips and some peas, 2p for an Oxo cube, 10p for a mug of tea, stick a Top Gear repeat on the TV...what more can a girl ask for?
 Coffee shops - Zero
A new fella?
 Coffee shops - Iffy
A new fella...

...with a car that doesn't have a flat battery.
 Coffee shops - Pat
Tesco Finest if you don't mind:)

Pat
>> A new fella...
>>
>> ...with a car that doesn't have a flat battery.

I can handle you publicly suggesting that my wife can do better than me, but mocking my poor discharged battery? That's going a bit far isn't it?!

Anyway, it isn't flat, it is just...low :)
>> A new fella?

Are you putting yourself forward as a candidate Zero?
 Coffee shops - Zero
Oh dear me no. Its your job. For life.
Latest Forum Posts