Non-motoring > The real news Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 12

The real news - Crankcase
Never mind all this terrorism, snow, strikes, riots and death. The real news is here.

Farmington is holding its annual Chester Greenwood Day festivities today to pay tribute to the man who invented earmuffs back in 1873 to protect his sensitive ears from the cold.

Festivities include a parade, a chili contest, a flag-raising, an auction and other events. Townspeople and visitors will be decked out in earmuffs, and oversized pairs of the protectors will adorn fire engines, police cars and other vehicles.

Most famous for his earmuffs, Greenwood is also credited with inventing dozens of other devices, including a mechanical mouse trap, a shock absorber, a new type of spark plug, a wide-bottom kettle and a folding bed.
 The real news - madf
Farmington ? Never heard of the place.. is it in outer Mongolia?
I should have said it was the Maine News.
 The real news - Cliff Pope
I challenge that. With the possible exception of the spark plug, I put it to you that all those things had already been invented centuries earlier.

Ghengiz Khan invented earmuffs.
Alexander the Great invented the folding bed.
Polly invented the kettle.
Polly might have SAID she invented the kettle, but she was just putting it on.
 The real news - Tooslow
I saw a young lady wearing ear-muffs the other day. She was probably in her late twenties. The earmuffs were in the form of a bunny's head. A "face" on the main part, little ears sticking up. Good grief. They might, only just possibly, might, look "cute" on someone 20 years younger, but on a young adult?
John
 The real news - MD
If yer warm yer warm.
 The real news - Tooslow
Pardon? :-)

John
 The real news - MD
Granted.
Well lots of adults today have problems actually being adult. It's a strange twist in society. Before the Victorians children were treated as little adults, then in Victorian times they were ignored (seen and not heard) and today adults are treated, and some often act, like children.

Even at a medical the other day the Dr kept saying "good girl" to Mrs C, and he was probably half her age.

The real news - MD
Trainers and football shirts in restaurants. Most blokes never grow up.
 The real news - madf
Mentally I'm still 19.

I am assured I was retarded at 19..:-)
 The real news - R.P.
Absolutely baking ! Five mile trek to get bread, milk and a bacon sarnie -togged up a little too much...
Latest Forum Posts