Non-motoring > Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 26

Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - smokie
There are coloured paving stones at the front of the house for our parking area. It's on a minute gradient, which sometimes means it's sometimes tricky to get the cars on in snow.

If I were to get some rock salt would it be any use (as it seems to need traffic to work best), and/or would it damage or discolour the slabs?

btw spent a fun couple of hours "sweeping" the snow away with the pressure washer today. SWMBO said it would ice over - seems OK so far, and once the thaw starts will certainly clear quicker than the packed snow alternative...
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 16:45
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - Iffy
Rock salt hasn't damaged the concrete rear yard of Iffy Towers.

How big is the parking area?

If you are really worried about the slabs, you could use white cooking or table salt.

A couple of kilo bags will only be a pound or two from the supermarket, possibly cheaper from a cash and carry.

The salt will work without traffic, and certainly as soon as you walk on it.

Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - Perky Penguin
Perhaps some coarse sand would improve the grip, even without the melting effects of added salt?
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - sherlock47
Why bother? You say only a minute gradient. I drove out yesterday up a 20% 10m slope carefully on 15cm of virgin snow. If you cannot mange a 'slight incline' should you be driving on the roads?
Last week a visitor drove in and 'blocked' one of my cars in, (I was not going to clear and move the second vehicle for his benefit), so I made him reverse out. It took him about 5mins of much tyre spinning, I thought at one point that he was going to wedge it sideways between 2 brickwalls, and he then inadvertently drove over the neighbours grass verge! Once he was out I just drove off - no problems.

Technique conquers lack of common sense.
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 17:31
I don't think it is much to do with the driver at all; more likely the nature of the surface and make of the car. Some BMWs and Jaguars can't move on the level in these conditions.
I would suggest that it all to do with the driver - sheet black ice excepted. If not the driver, then other drivers!
That's fairly insulting really pmh. I'm not going to bother trying to describe why it's not easy, but there are three drivers in the house, of varying abilities, and all have had difficulty with it one or more times. At least they are prepared to make the effort to take the cars off the road rather than the easy option of leaving them on the street. And, unlike you, I am prepared to make a bit of effort to help others who are having problems.

Anyway, probably already too late for this bout but if we think table salt will do it then maybe that's the way to go. I would have thought it would need a fair amount to clear the few inches of snow we had yesterday though.
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - Iffy
.... I would have thought it would need a fair amount to clear the few inches of snow we had yesterday though...

Sweep away the loose snow and broadcast a few handfuls of salt where the tyres will go.

Shouldn't take that much.
smokie - Sorry not meant as an insult, just a reality check.

My statement of 'If you cannot mange a 'slight incline' should you be driving on the roads?' still stands.

PS my second somewhat curt posting was aimed at PP
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 19:29
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - CGNorwich
My statement of 'If you cannot mange a 'slight incline' should you be driving on the roads?' still stands.

When that loose snow turns to packed ice even a slight incline can become a problem however superior you may believe your driving skills may be. Pride cometh before the fall.
Why? What have I said that you don't like? Don't bother answering - I don't care! Happy Christmas!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 19:35
PP Sorry not doing well here - should learn not to post and watch TV at the same time, - it was not meant to be a a 'curt' reply, just that on rereading it it seemed to be!

Last edited by: pmh on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 19:40
Please don't worry - I am being a bit curt myself! Shooting from the hip instead of the brain! The Merry Christmas wish IS sincere. Pax?
OK, I kind of understand and I also have little sympathy with some of the predicaments some drivers get themselves into, or their actions to get themselves out of it. But although it is just a slight incline, I insist that they reverse onto the drive, which puts them across the road for a short time, then there is the camber of the road, and a small but sometimes tricky (if you get it wrong) lip up the dropped kerb, then the incline. And you have to be accurate so all cars can get in, so you can't easily take much of a run up.
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - rtj70
But pmh you did reply to Perky Penguin - everyone including mods should know that viewing in threaded view shows who replied to who. Or hover over the arrow to see which post was replied to.
>>Or hover over the arrow to see which post was replied to.<<<

you learn something new everyday - thanks
The short answer is no.

Have used rocks salt both last year and this on paving slabs, tarmac and concrete path and there is no adverse affect. Be careful with using it near expensive plants as most cannot tolerate high salt levels.

As has been said best to mix some sharp sand in with it to increase grip.

Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - Skoda
We must be able to come up with a super concoction to deal with this?

1 part sharp sand
1 part table salt
1 part cat litter

?

Salt to melt the ice, cat litter to absorb the water and stop re-icing, sand for grip ?
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - Zero
They do say, that if you skin the cat, and wrap the skin the right way round your tyre - you do get extraordinary traction.

Cheaper than snow sox too.
Z

You just beat me to it! But I decided too many people were already taking offence!
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - Runfer D'Hills
More than one way to skin a cat apparently. Never felt the urge mind.
Never tried cat litter - unused I assume, although very useful for oil spills. Table salt far too expensive - use rock salt which apart from lowering freezing point also has a grittiness about it.

Cinders are good if you have a coal fire.
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - Zero

>> Cinders are good

The prince charmings will skewer you with their lances.
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - bathtub tom
Salt's also a good weed killer for between the cracks.
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - VxFan
Smokie, do you and the family generally park on the paving stones?

If so then you'll have picked up salt from the roads previously on your tyres and wheel arches. If that's not stained the stones by now when it thaws and drops off the car(s), then it's unlikely to this time. That is of course if they use rock salt for gritting?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Dec 10 at 00:14
Good point Vx, I s'pose that's why I have to pressure wash the slabs once in a while to get them back to (near) original colour. I expect all stocks of rock salt are gone from local stores but I think I'll get some to stash in the garage at the next opportunity.
 Would rock salt damage/discolour paving stones? - BiggerBadderDave
There's a slight incline leading up to our garage. When the sun shines in the day and melts the snow and icicles on the roof, it refreezes when it hits the path. After a while it's solid glass ice, an inch or two thick and it's lethal. Some of the neighbours chip away at it with a hoe, but that's hard work. I fill a mop bucket with piping hot water, dissolve a bag of salt in there and pour it over the path. Three or four buckets does the trick and it stays clear for a few days.
Latest Forum Posts