Non-motoring > Freezing paint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 7

Freezing paint - Pat
We've had a new door fitted this week along with some modifications to the hall ceiling and the door frame itself.

I knew it was too late to decorate it before Christmas but watched the plaster drying and this morning took a snap decision that if we both wielded a paint brush each, we could make it look a little better until the spring, when we could do it properly. We fetched a gallon tin of silk emulsion from the shed and found it frozen solid, We fetched the paint brushes, left soaking in white spirits and they were solid too.
In desperation we fetched a half a tub of 'knobbly' masonry paint in, but yes, that was frozen as well.

We managed to thaw out the emulsion but it gone lumpy, and we gave up on the paint brushes, so the moral of this story is don't leave paint in the shed in the winter!

Pat
 Freezing paint - Iffy
The emulsion could freeze because it's water-based, but I'm surprised about the paint brushes in white spirit.
 Freezing paint - Clk Sec
I keep all paint and emulsion in the house during the coldest months, as it does not like sub zero temperatures - not one little bit.
 Freezing paint - MD
Nor do the tools in the inside of my van!
 Freezing paint - Clk Sec
Ah, but they'll recover when it gets warmer!
 Freezing paint - Old Navy
Does it say "protect from frost" on the paint tin ? Although I run my pressure washer for a few seconds with the hoses removed to clear water from the pump, it lives in the utility room when temperatures are well into the minuses.
 Freezing paint - Zero
>> Does it say "protect from frost" on the paint tin ?

Indeed it does

Freezing paint - Clk Sec
Seconded. I've just checked a tin.

Must get out more often...
Latest Forum Posts