Non-motoring > mystery critter Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 10

mystery critter - devonite
Been down allotment to dig out the chickens, and noticed some tracks in the snow. One set exiting from a 2im diameter hole, under the shed, and running directly to food hopper and back, leaving small footprints and body drag-marks in the 4in snow - obviously ratty!
Another pair exiting from under shed via a 3in hole, (so co-exists with ole ratty) and leaving hand -like footprints about an inch in diameter, no body or tail marks so obviously leggy enough to clear the snow, and with about a nine inch stride! This critter can also jump vertically onto a 3ft wooden fence, squeeze through a 4in fence mesh and jump down the other side.
Me stumped but thinking Mink??? - but chickens obviously not being bothered or worried by it!

Any ideas???
 mystery critter - Runfer D'Hills
Come to think of it, I've not seen my guinea pig for a while. Try standing down at the allotment and shouting "Frank !!? Come on lad, I've got a nice cabbage for you" You never know what might turn up...
 mystery critter - Armel Coussine
Squirrels have hand-like paws and don't drag their bloated bellies along the ground. And they are perfectly capable of taking short cuts under sheds, and have teeth as long as a rat's.

I don't know what sort of feet stoats and weasels have. But I bet rats don't mess with them either.

My vote goes to the American immigrant grey squirrel, or squoil as they pronounce it in the deep south...
 mystery critter - Perky Penguin
Are you in Rural Devon? My money might be on a polecat. My sister has had grief from them in mid-Wales, rural
 mystery critter - madf
Might be the odd mink...

(Our local gray squirrels...? Dalek treatment.)
Last edited by: madf on Sat 18 Dec 10 at 21:02
 mystery critter - R.P.
Deep South = sort of Surrey way then ?
 mystery critter - Zero
Its south pole here mate.
 mystery critter - Iffy
My guess would be a boring old - or young - grey squirrel.

Could be a stoat, weasel, or mink, but these are fairly hard to tell apart when you can see the animal, let alone from tracks in the snow.

This thread does allow me to crack one of my old jokes.

How do you tell a stoat from a weasel?

A weasel is weasily recognised, and a stote is stotally different.

mystery critter - Cliff Pope
I don't think a mink would have passed up the chance to have all the chickens.

Rats and chickens mainly co-exist. Rats will take chicks or weak hens, hens sometimes cooperate to attack a rat. But a mink will tackle anything.
 mystery critter - MD
Including humans. Trust me.
 mystery critter - devonite
Squirrel sounds quite feasable actually! - hadn`t thought of those under a shed. but it`ll be warmer than a tree! The "Whatever" has been out an about today as well,doesn`t seem to be doing any harm or upsetting the old girls. so i dont see the point in trying to catch it or trap it. Might have a bit of fun tho` setting up food tasks to see if it can solve them, I believe grey Squoils like "mission impossible" type obstacle courses! an it may help keep it warm!
Latest Forum Posts