Non-motoring > Cycling and greenhouse gases Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 10

Cycling and greenhouse gases - Chris S
Cycling increases respiration and consequently results in the higher production of greenhouse gases (eg, carbon dioxide, methane, etc).

Has anyone ever investigated what effect this has on the environment?
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - hobby
Just think of the impact if everyone started cycling....

Do gyms have special extractor fans to prevent all that co2 going into the atmosphere then? :-)
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - madf
Imagine the methane (a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2) if cows cycled...
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - L'escargot
>> Cycling increases respiration and consequently results in the higher production of greenhouse gases (eg, carbon
>> dioxide, methane, etc).
>>
>> Has anyone ever investigated what effect this has on the environment?
>>

There's this bit of information for a start. www.burstbug.org.au/environment.html
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 18 Dec 10 at 14:21
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - RattleandSmoke
I have often thought of that, after a half an hour cycle I usually stop of and buy a botteled drink contributing to CO2 I will then need food etc etc.

Then there is all the C02 required to treat the cylists when they end up in hospital.

PS I do have a bike and I do use it warmer weather.
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - Perky Penguin
I am not sure, working in a horsepiddle, that CO2 is available nor does it have any medicinal purpose that I am aware of.
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - TheManWithNoName
>
>> Has anyone ever investigated what effect this has on the environment?

I've no idea if any scientific studies have been carried out but since no-one can do anything about curbing human emissions (i.e. breathing) it would probably be a pointless exercise and most likely be a candidate for the Ignoble Awards. Clearly the CO2 produced by humans whilst 'under load' is a fraction of what is produced by 'man made' emitters.
I always understood cycling to be a very efficient method of locomotion compared to say someone running over the same distance at the same speed.
Chances are an overweight person walking up their stairs emits more gas huffing and puffing than me on my 5 minute bike to work.
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - madf
Don't be rude to runners. We're lean and mean unlike the overweight porcines of 50% of the population.. so we use less fuel, less clothes, less space and are more efficient in our use of oxygen .

If greens were serious about the environment , they would be culling the fatties. And calling for population controls.. And setting an example. But no, words are cheap...
Last edited by: madf on Sat 18 Dec 10 at 15:34
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - TheManWithNoName
I wasnt being rude to runners, just defending cyclists and comparing how efficient it is to bike over the same distant compared to a runner. Either way both forms of locomotion are greener compared to fossil fuel powered transport (including power station 'powered' electric cars).
I like the bit about culling fatties, however when the bodies start to rot they would release more gases. Perhaps its best to keep them alive and keep the junk all stored up!
;-)
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - CGNorwich
'they would be culling the fatties.'

No, no, no an ecological disaster. Fat people are valuable carbon sinks like trees. Their destruction would lead to the release of millions tons of carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere.
 Cycling and greenhouse gases - Harleyman
>> Cycling .................... results in the higher production of greenhouse gases (eg, carbon
>> dioxide, methane, etc).
>>

Usually in the form of hot air from the cycling protest lobby. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts