Non-motoring > Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 97

Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - R.P.

A thread to exchange greetings (as suggested by a member of the site - not mentioning any names just follow my eyes..)

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 01:36
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Zero
You'll be expecting Christmas cards next.

Mumble moan. If I have to.

< growl > Happy Christmas
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - hawkeye
Happy Christmas and a prosperous 2011 to you all.

PS How do you know this grumpy lot will run to Volume 2?
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - RattleandSmoke
I am not feeling my Christmassy, I should be out tonight but stuck at home on facebook and watching crap on TV. I have a few cans though. Out tomorrow night but that will just be the usual routine.

At least watching Corrie I realise things aren't that bad, I need another half to share Christmas with next year though!.

So happy Christmas you oil stinking toe rags :).
Look at the bright side Rattle - thank the Lord you're not a duck.

2 Volumes ? Unbounded optimism....!
But if I was a duck at least I could swim!
Not according to some programme on ITV now..!
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Kevin
Merry Christmas * Frohe Weihnachten * Joyeux noel * Milad Majid * Cestit Bozic i Sretna
Nova godina * Feliz Natal * Tchestito Rojdestvo Hristovo * Kung His Hsin Nien bing Chu
Shen Tan * Sretan Bozic * Glædelig Jul * Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar! *
Gajan Kristnaskon * Hyvaa joulua * Kala Christouyenna * Kellemes Karacsonyi unnepeket *
Gledileg Jol * Nodlaig mhaith chugnat * Buone Feste Natalizie * Gledelig Jul * Boze
Narodzenie * Feliz Natal * Hristos se rodi * Feliz Navidad * God Jul * Noeliniz Ve Yeni
Yiliniz Kutlu Olsun * Kurisumasu Omedeto * Vesele vianoce * Vesel Bozic in srecno Novo
leto

Kevin...
Just to add in the other native UK language

Nadolig Llawen.....

:-)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - madf
BAH

Humbug...

or was it Wurther's Originals?
Its not a native language of the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, was formed by the union of the kingdoms of Scotland and England. Wales is therefore not a native of the UK, it is in fact part of the Kingdom of England.

So you can speak Jock but not Taff. Wales does not exist.
Sad to see the "Welsh Not" is alive and well over the dyke.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Old Navy
Zero probably thinks "Inside the M25" is a country.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Dec 10 at 21:41
>> we certainly pay for the rest of you.
>>

Many thanks, and no slacking over christmas.
Seems Zero thought better of his comment so I deleted mine :).

But now Old Navy has replied to it. I said that that was such a typical Londers view of the UK and is not true at the same time I don't doubt Londons importance.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 17 Dec 10 at 21:44
London and the south east get more indirect subsidies than the rest of the UK put together.
>> London and the south east get more indirect subsidies than the rest of the UK
>> put together.

Complete Tosh, the direct subsidies to Northern Ireland and then Scotland and then Wales (in that order) far outweigh any "perceived" indirect subsidies.
For any such arguments to carry weight we need statistics on both sides :).
Indirect means "I have no idea if they exist or not and if they do I cant quantify it"
If you want to start a separate thread on this carry on, but this one does what it says on the tin...

IT'S Christmas - well soonish !
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Kevin
>If you want to start a separate thread on this carry on, but this one does what it says on the tin...

Thanks PU.

Miner (sic) languages welcome.

Kevin...
It is it called Greater London. Inside the country of London lives a smaller county called Englandshire.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - tyro
"Just to add in the other native UK language

Nadolig Llawen....."

The? Don't you mean an other native UK language?

What about "Nollaig Chridheil"?
My apologies !

Nollick Ghenna - Manx

Nadelik lowen - Cornish

as well !
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 17 Dec 10 at 22:38
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Armel Coussine
Happy Christmas chaps and Pat, or at least a Merry one.

People of puritanical bent sometimes disapprove of the wish 'Merry Christmas' because the word merry used to be associated with slightly too much to drink.

Of course I am quite in favour of that, and the rest. Don't freak out or do yourselves harm, but up to nearly that point anything goes in my book. And of course if you prefer a sober but happy one that is what you deserve.

Peace and love, fingers crossed. Even to Taffs and people like Zero and me who live outside the M25 (if you can call it living).

:o}
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - SteelSpark
>> People of puritanical bent sometimes disapprove of the wish 'Merry Christmas' because the word merry
>> used to be associated with slightly too much to drink.

Maybe you should wish everybody a Very Gay Christmas instead, or does that mean something else now, too?
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - tyro
"Nollick Ghenna - Manx

Nadelik lowen - Cornish"

I must confess that I tend to think of Manx and Cornish as being dead languages, whereas there are plenty of people currently living in the UK who have Welsh or Gaelic as their first language. (Pedants will also argue that the Isle of Man is not part of the UK.)

(And while we are on the subject of UK languages, I had not forgotten Scots, but I take the view that it is a dialect of English - though I realise that some will disagree with me on this one!)
Last edited by: tyro on Fri 17 Dec 10 at 23:19
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Ted
Oh well. I suppose I'd better join in with the good wishes to everyone here.........Oh no, sod it, why should i ?
Ruddy Christmas, spent nearly £18 this year on presents, booze and food ! Called in Waitrose today...big error...Brakspear's bitter at £1.92 a bottle...how the hell do they sell that when Lidl do it for a quid ? Don't they know some of us are only on a meagre pension. Didn't buy any, that'll teach them !

Got a ticket in the car park, not a real one, parked in a disabled space but I was in the other car and didn't have my badges. The sign didn't mention blue badges just ' disabled parking only ' so I felt justified and i was ready for an argument but the man wasn't around !

Will it never end ?...Only when the Grim Reaper comes down the chimbley insted of yer man in red.
Anyway...all the best to most of you out there

Moaning load of.....mumble, grumble...... hides under duvet 'til Jan 2nd.

Ted :-(
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Redviper
Happy Christmas everyone

Drink lots, Eat lots and have fun doing it, life is to short otherwise :-)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - devonite
>>Only when the Grim Reaper comes down the chimbley insted of yer man in red<<

ooh! since you tempted fate! - here a bit of Norse Pagan mythology..............

To be “greedy or ravenous”:
These are still quite popular sayings today, but it is actually taken from the Norse God Odin, he was actually known by several names, as a God was often a God of many causes, in times before many people could write, they used symbols to depict things as well as events or people. One of Odin’s many symbols were two ravens, one called Raverner and the other Gried. Odin was the “gatherer of the spirits of the dead” and in mythology was said to

ride across the sky in a sleigh pulled by a team of eight <<<<<<<<<<<<<<(yer man in red??)

horses searching for said spirits, upon finding some, the two ravens would fly off and gather the spirits by swallowing them. As the one that safely gathered the most was rewarded by a gift from Odin, this caused competition between the ravens, who would each gather as many spirits and swallow them as fast as they could - hence to be greedy or ravenous.

Merry Solstice, everyone, - and long live the "Oak King!"
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - hawkeye
>>... - hence
>> to be greedy or ravenous.
>>
>> Merry Solstice, everyone, - and long live the "Oak King!"
>>

I think Devonite has found an old issue of "Call my Bluff" on iPlayer ...

;-)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Pat
We have the Holly King for a few more days yet though:)

Pat
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Dog
Nadelik lowen ha blydhen nowydh da.
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda from Wales as well Dog !
>>Blwyddyn Newydd Dda from Wales as well Dog<<

It's amazing how easy it is to pick up a few words, PU - once one knows the rudimentaries of any lingua.

A Cockney, speaking Cornish - that'd be novel :)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Runfer D'Hills
May the shiny sides of your sleighs continue to face the heavens and your oily bits the earth. Oh and just think, on a positive note, there's 53 weeks left to save up for next year....

Merry Christmas !
>>Called in Waitrose today...big error...Brakspear's bitter at £1.92 a bottle...how the hell do they sell that when Lidl do it for a quid ? Don't they know some of us are only on a meagre pension. Didn't buy any, that'll teach them !<<

Er indoors sez "What do you expect if, if you go to the most Expensive Supermarket, beloved of celebs" :)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Alanovich
Merry Christmas to everyone. May Father Christmas empty his sack into all your stockings.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Mike Hannon
This is our ninth Christmas here and, at long last, I have learned the French for Bah! Humbug! It's Bah! Sotisse! Not much different really. I only found out because my neighbour wanted to understand what I kept saying and who Scrooge was, so she went out and bought a (French) copy of A Christmas Carol!
For years I've been working on and off at a written defence of Ebenezer Scrooge, whom I believe is one of the most misunderstood men in literature. You can almost see Dickens licking his lips as he wrote the characterisation at the start of the story. I think Scrooge was just a prudent businessman who had suffered a few disappointments in life - haven't we all? And I always get angry when I read that, after all Scrooge's generosity that wastrel Bob Cratchit was STILL in late on the next working day. Some people just never learn.

Anyway, best wishes to all... ;-))
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Tooslow
Happy Christmas all! Well, Christmas was last night. Down to local pub, into restaurant, turkey for mains, Christmas pud for afters. How can people go to Chinese restaurants for Christmas? Came out and it's snowing with just a covering on the ground. Brill! So that's Christmas done. No fuss, very enjoyable.

Ah well, I can dream. :-)

John
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Manatee
I sincerely wish you all an enjoyable holiday period, whatever your beliefs, and a happy, healthy and fiscally satisfactory period thereafter.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Skoda
Aye, a Merry Christmas to all.

www.skodachristmas.com/

Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Cpt. Flack
With all this snow, even in N. Surrey, it feels like Christmas already. Shame it didn't come a week later.

"And thus I comytt you to God, who send you a mery Christmas."

All have a safe and enjoyable Christmas, and a properous New Year. From whatever planet you're from ;-)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Cliff Pope
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Clk Sec
The very best to you all for Christmas and 2011.

Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Robin O'Reliant
Please accept without obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the summer solstice holiday, practised within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all, and a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects, and having regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or sexual orientation of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are bound by these terms that: -

* This greeting is subject to further clarification or withdrawal;

* This greeting is freely transferable provided that no alteration shall be made to the original greeting and that the proprietary rights of the wishor are acknowledged.

* This greeting implies no promise by the wishor to actually implement any of the wishes.

* This greeting may not be enforceable in certain jurisdictions and/or the restrictions herein may not be binding upon certain wishees in certain jurisdictions and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wishor.

* This greeting is warranted to perform as reasonably may be expected within the usual application of good tidings, for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

* The wishor warrants this greeting only for the limited replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wishor.

* Any references in this greeting to "the Lord", "Father Christmas", "Our Savior", "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer" or any other festive figures, whether actual or fictitious, dead or alive, shall not imply any endorsement by or from them in respect of this greeting, and all proprietary rights in any referenced third party names and images are hereby acknowledged.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sat 18 Dec 10 at 17:08
Very good - but that must be the Antipodean version for NickinNZ;-)
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 18 Dec 10 at 18:04
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Ian (Cape Town)
Have a cool Yule.
I'll be back in the new year. Best wishes all.

CAPE TOWN:
Partly cloudy at first becoming fine.

Wind: Moderate to fresh south-easterly.

Minimum/Maximum: 17/25 C.

The Expected UVB Sunburn Index: Very Dangerous.
My place ain't bad either ~ news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1083
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Roger.
Have a happy Yule-Tide., with much drinking of ale and eating of blood sausage!
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Perky Penguin
My Best Wishes to all members of both this Forum and the Other Place, although I reside here now. I hope you all enjoy the festive season, wherever and with whoever you spend it and that 2011 works out well for you. I am happy whatever happens, tomorrow is the first day that I shall not have had a job for 52 years!
PP, why not write a book ? Seriously. It sounds like you've had a fairly interesting life so far...Never know.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - ....
Digital Christmas

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkHNNPM7pJA

Merry Christmas everyone !
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - legacylad
Merry Christmas everyone.
If anyone happens to be passing thru Settle I would happily buy them a pint in my local, the Harts Head Giggleswick. Preferably a pint of Golden Pippin.
Regards
LL
>> If anyone happens to be passing thru Settle I would happily buy them a pint in my local, the Harts Head Giggleswick.

Way hey ! The inaugural Northern C4P meet has just been called....Good man LL ! Of course, all being drivers, we'll only be able to have the one each so it may be some time before you get one back...

Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - ToMoCo
Well, happy Christmas and all the best for '11 to everyone. I'm off out for Crimbo Lunch :-)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Avant
At least half the posts on this thread are actually wishing people a Happy Christmas - not bad! So happy Christmas and New Year from me too. I'll be playing the church organ as ever and belting out the well-loved hymns and carols: for me that's the joy of Christmas rather than the endless shopping.

We're having lamb for the main meal so it'll be Baa Humbug.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - commerdriver
Happy Christmas one and all
Off to Glasgow Airport for flight to Heathrow with elderly mother to spend Christmas with no 1 son and rest of family in Yeovil.
Hope you all have a good one with those you love
Avant,

Taking a Flash Mob down the local Tesco then ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Hard Cheese

24 hours to go, so what they all said !

Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Ted
We're out for Chrimbo Dinner this year. TTQ loves all the cooking and having about 12 of us round the table and I don't mind a bit of peace with a new CD on, doing the clearing up.

But...Partner of youngest daughter wants to do dinner at their place..." adults, 2 kids and his Mum, recently widowed. No room for the rest of us...fair enough.
Son and his partner going to Blackpool to her parents this year...again, fair enough.

Since SWMBO's mum threw a seven in '09, that leaves me, 'er, eldest daughter and her 6 yr old girl. Not worth cooking so off to our regular Italian.......be like the Glum's Christmas Party ! A few Peronis might help me along.

Any road up, best wishes to all you mob and a good, peaceful and prosperous new Year.

Ted
Right, best get this Christmas shopping malarky done then. I had thought about some mats, an air freshener and an ice scraper for her new Qashqai. What do you think?

Your missus needs one of

A new Iron, a New Vacuum Cleaner, or a set of snow chains,.

Your in luck, I can sell you a unique snow chain.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 09:15
Not a bad idea. Often the snow is just at the side of the road so one is really all that is required.

Must find a vendor of Christmas cards too.
Best wishes to one and all.

I broke the rule "Don't buy anything with a plug on it" this year. The plug is attached to the charger for the camera she wanted.

Fortunately she reminded me to buy a card. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 09:23
We've got loads of spare cards but I suppose I'll have to get one she doesn't recognise. Strikes me there could be a bloke's card exchange scheme potential here. You know, Christmas eve, all the guys chuck a spare card on a pile in the Market Square and get to take someone else's. Got to have legs that...
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - henry k
>>Fortunately she reminded me to buy a card. :-)
>>
For the camera, so she can take lots and lots and lots of your happy smiling face ? :-)
It will only need a small memory card then.
>> For the camera, so she can take lots and lots and lots of your happy
>> smiling face ? :-)
>>

I did buy an SD card and a spare battery, It is a digital SLR so will need the spare battery. Three pressies I must be going soft. :-)

One thing that is a little annoying, the camera is two models on from her five year old one, the battery is the same physical size but has different contacts and she has two spares for the old camera. Also the old camera used CF cards. I suspect a multi TB hard drive will be next for the increasing photo library.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 09:49
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Iffy
...I suspect a multi TB hard drive will be next for the increasing photo library...

Mutli-TB?

That's a lot of snaps.

She has been a keen amateur photograper for years and has tens of thousands of photos.

I don't ask, just supply the kit, it keeps her amused and off my back. :-)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Iffy
...She has been a keen amateur photograper for years...

Nice to think the prezzie will see plenty of use.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - BobbyG
Well, merry Christmas to you all, no doubt will be on here before Hogmonay so will keep the Happy new Year Greeting til then!

there is a challenge, who can get a HNY greeting in timestamped exactly at midnight????

I won't as I will be serving lots of drinks at that point but no doubt someone will - no editing mods !!!

Whoever you spend tomorrow with, whatever you do on the day, I hope you have an enjoyable time.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Badwolf
A very safe, happy and peaceful Christmas to all and their families.

May tomorrow bring all that you wanted, and none that you didn't.

How about a Boxing Day Present Exchange Thread? You know, "anyone want to swap a fetching pair of novelty socks for a belly-button de-fluffer?", that sort of thing...

Anyway, all the best folks :-)
Good idea Badwolf - no cycle racks, no 1/2 pairs of snow-chains..
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Old Sock
"Happy Holidays" to you all.

Jesus, that expression's annoying :-)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Roger.
...after a good Christmas lunch with brussel sprouts!

tinyurl.com/2cz8o2l
Happy Christmas all..
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - MD
The very best regards to you all whatever your views and wherever you may be.

Martin.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - swiss tony
May I take this opportunity, to wish you all a Happy.............
Easter!!!

(well, the eggs will be in the shops soon.......)
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - rtj70
Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda.

(Merry Christmas and Happy New Year).
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Pat
Morning All, and a very Merry Christmas to you.

Pat
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - MD
Can't you sleep Gal?? Ho ho ho
All the best for Christmas and the New Year. I hope 2011 is good to you!

IF YOU SEE A FAT MAN Who's jolly and cute, Wearing a beard and a red flannel suit,

And if he is chuckling and laughing away, While flying around in a miniature sleigh,

With eight tiny reindeer to pull him along,

Then let's face it... You're drunk!

Merry Christmas and a Happy 2011!

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Dec 10 at 16:49
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - movilogo
Merry Xmas to all.

BTW, how did you insert that image in the thread?

He's mod, he's allowed to, we are not.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Stuu
Happy Xmas you lot.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Skip
Happy Christmas to all !
>> Happy Xmas you lot.

You could tie some reindeer to that pram of yours, it would improve it a lot.
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - BiggerBadderDave
Got a new game for the Wii from my wife. It's called Resort, it's activities set on a tropical island - jet skiing, wake riding, water skiing, canoeing etc.

It must be a misunderstanding. When she asked me what I wanted for Christmas I replied that I'd like to participate in watersports with her.

Merry Christmas.
My OH has given me what seems to be the entire Autoglym range of car cleaning products, i think it might be a hint as one of our cars is light blue and the other is black and its hard to tell which is which at the moment !
>> My OH has given me what seems to be the entire Autoglym range of car
>> cleaning products, i think it might be a hint as one of our cars is
>> light blue and the other is black and its hard to tell which is which
>> at the moment !
>>

I trust you got her a new ironing board and a big tin of Vim?
>> My OH has given me what seems to be the entire Autoglym range of car
>> cleaning products, i think it might be a hint as one of our cars is
>> light blue and the other is black and its hard to tell which is which
>> at the moment !
>>

I trust you got her a new ironing board and a big tin of Vim?

Nothing that glamerous !!!!!
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - VxFan
>> He's mod, he's allowed to, we are not.

Didn't stop you trying though ;o)
Ok so what stig gift did you get?
I got a stig soap on a rope
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Dave_
I got presents for the children from me, and presents for the children from each other. Completely forgot to get any presents for myself though.

Tomorrow morning my little boy will be unwrapping a Roary the Racing Car Haynes Manual and, at the age of 3, his first Scalextric set :)

Season's Greetings to all of you on C4P, btw.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sat 25 Dec 10 at 19:18
 Christmas Greeting thread Volume 1. - Londoner
Been unavailable for a bit, but a belated
*** M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S ***

...to all C4P posters and lurkers.

And a special greeting to the mods, who have managed to keep everything under control and running nicely.
Latest Forum Posts