Non-motoring > Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 38

Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Netsur
OK

We have discussed razors recently and also aftershaves. But what do people use to coat their faces with before shaving. Having used all sorts of products I now prefer creams.

I came across some creams packed with Dead Sea minerals which were pretty good, but I have found that my favourite is E45 emollient wash. Just stops all those little nicks and leaves my face nice and smooth even with a blunt razor.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Old Sock
I've found Noxzema shaving foam works well for me. Comes in 'ordinary' and menthol varieties - the latter being my favourite.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Mapmaker
Shaving gel. Foam doesn't get in the way of being able to see what you're doing. And it's VERY economical. A tube lasts several years.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Zero
Nothing

Electric Razor courtesy of Mr Philips.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Pat
You'll all be doing a car4play calender next...

Pt
Or The full Monty?
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - L'escargot
>> You'll all be doing a car4play calender next...
>>
>> Pt
>>

And I expect you'll be having a Brazilian next!
I really don't know what you mean L'es :)

Pat
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - R.P.
Nuts Pat !
>> Nuts Pat !

If they dont look like ZZ Top, Pats not interested.
You can't beat a traditional lather, so I use Boots Lather Shave Cream applied and worked into a lather with a wet shaving brush. I shave downwards (i.e. with the grain of the bristles) first followed by upwards to get the smoothest shave. One of the secrets of a smooth shave is to dip the razor in really hot water.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 17 Dec 10 at 09:46
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Bigtee
Gillette Gel the best a man can get.!!

Then shaving balm afterwards but usually in the summer when my poor skin starts to rash.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - tyro
In the days before I had a beard, an ordinary bar of soap which I lathered up with a shaving brush. I suppose for the sake of completeness, I should add that it was the cheapest shaving brush that I could find at Tesco in Gateshead.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Skoda
I tried shaving oil recently - comes in a tiny bottle, ideal for getting past the gestapo at airports.

Mixed feelings about it, probably will use again on holidays or travel. There's no need for an aftershave balm if you use it, but i think before using it i'd make sure your face has a good soak in the shower, not the most protective thing during shaving.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - R.P.
Tesco el-cheapo foam 34p a tin. Works fine. Why spend 2 quid or more.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Mike Hannon
>>You can't beat a traditional lather, so I use Boots Lather Shave Cream applied and worked into a lather with a wet shaving brush. I shave downwards (i.e. with the grain of the bristles) first followed by upwards to get the smoothest shave. One of the secrets of a smooth shave is to dip the razor in really hot water. <<

That all makes sense to me. I haven't shaved (wet or dry) in the normal sense for more than 30 years. I really don't think now that I would know where to start.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Netsur
That's a curious comment! What is the secret to save us blokes hours each week in the bathroom?
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - tyro
"One of the secrets of a smooth shave is to dip the razor in really hot water."

What is the scientific explanation for that?
>> "One of the secrets of a smooth shave is to dip the razor in really
>> hot water."

>>
>> What is the scientific explanation for that?
>>

I haven't got a scientific explanation, it's just what I've discovered by experience.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - madf
Palmolive shaving soap... traditional cylinder.

Gillette Fusion Power razor with 5 blades and a baby's bum is like barbed wire by comparison.

What's this "shaving in hot water " stuuf? Real men do it in cold water.
Last edited by: madf on Fri 17 Dec 10 at 12:34
He has grown a face hedge obviously.
I HATE shaving in hot water.

Saves money too.... But seriously, I HATE it.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Marc
Used to use canned foam.

Since the 'Razor Blades' thread a few months ago I switched to a DE razor and have also switched to a brush and cream which I bowl lather. I find Erasmic and Ingram good.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - -
I use a 3 head Philshave wet shaver designed for Nivea Coolskin which i won't buy cos it's a ridiculous price.

Tried shaving foam...useless, but cheap supermarket gel smoothed on the washed clock forms just the right amount of slippery foam to make the shave excellent.

I have experimented with brand named stuff when they've been on offer but haven't found them worth the extortionate price tag.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Ted

I haven't bought anything special for at least 20 yrs. I have a good quality shaving brush made by Penhaligans but I use whatever soap is on the side of the basin...and that's whatever she buys.
I've got 2 or 3 proper shaving soaps but I never think to use them now.
I prefer very hot water...I think it softens the old face a bit. I do a really good shave and it lasts me a couple of days.

I might get round to growing a full set again soon. Had beard for years when on the road. Last time was on a bike camping trip to Germany, two of us didn't shave for 10 days.
Very liberating !

Ted
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - PhilW
"growing a full set again soon"
My old and wise, long departed, Grandma used to say "never trust a man with a beard, he has something to hide"
So, starting with Gerry Adams, Rasputin and Lenin who would dispute that?
And don't mention Abraham Lincoln and David Bellamy!
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Alanovich
>> "never trust a man with
>> a beard,

Never trust a man wearing a bow tie has always been my mantra. I'm even considering extending that to all neck ties.
never trust a man.....:)

Pat
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - -
Surely you can't mean those of us that sport the occasional Cravat, salt of the earth types what?
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - Runfer D'Hills
Can't really remember the last time I wore a tie of any description. Must be 25 years at least. Had to wear one all through school and in my early working life. Think it put me off. Come to think of it the same amount of time must have passed since I wore any form of formal trousers too. Didn't get on with those either.

Weddings, formal dinners etc the kilt comes out, the rest of the time it's jeans, chinos, cargos or shorts. Funerals can be dealt with by wearing all black with a long black overcoat and scarf if cold.

Funny old set of values isn't it when a cheap suit and tie is seen as more acceptable in some circles to well coordinated, good quality casual wear. Not knocking it, just remarking on the paradox really.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 10:53
I assume BBD wears one of those bootlace things with a rhinestone clasp, specially when he is out line dancing with his bareback mountain mates.
Serious question Zero. I can't imagine there being a very formal clothing culture in IT is there ? All the guys I've ever encountered were pretty laid back. Maybe I'm wrong.
Humph

When I first started in my large American IT company, there were strict, very strict "get sent home" rules on dress.

White shirt, Dark blue suit, Dark tie with no patterns, dark sock and black lace up shoes.

That disappeared in the late 80s.

Dress rules are now very much customer driven. You can have two clients, one where you turn up to work for them in chinos and open neck shirt, and another where suit and tie is expected.
One of the questions we asked when starting contracts is "what is your dress code"

It was funny in Vegas this year. I sneaked into a Mcafee* conference. There you could see the dress code of the various parts of the states.

The ranching states had guys with white suits, Stetsons, bootlace ties and heeled boots. The eastern states were all dark suits and ties, and the west coast was all chinos and open neck shirts.

* They make security software. IT conferences (for an it type guy) is the best place ever, you get loads of freebies and cool give-aways, Every IT guy has a shelf of branded coffee mugs.

OK - I suppose that makes some sense now. I've worked for many years in the world of high fashion / high value apparel and footwear. By definition it's a casual dress code. I suppose the visiting IT guys just reflect that in their clothing choices.

Conversely, like you, years ago, we were suited and booted but that culture had all but gone away by the mid '80s. Back in the day though, we were all issued with identical cars, told to wear particular brands of suit in sober cloths, a particular style of briefcase etc etc. Different world.
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - BiggerBadderDave
"I've worked for many years in the world of high fashion"

Mr Byrite? Great shop.
Not nearly as upmarket as that Dave.

:-)
 Razors, After Shave - now how about foam? - corax
>> Funny old set of values isn't it when a cheap suit and tie is seen
>> as more acceptable in some circles to well coordinated, good quality casual wear. Not knocking
>> it, just remarking on the paradox really.

It's funny how someone in a suit, however ill fitting, is seen as a pillar of society. It's not worth being strangled like a chicken by your tie, and having a mass of calluses for feet, just to feel that someone is looking up to you.

>> IT conferences (for an it type guy) is the best place ever, you get loads of freebies and
>> cool give-aways, Every IT guy has a shelf of branded coffee mugs. I'm just sooooooo
>> cool you cannot believe it.

>> I work in High Fashion. I'm *actually* cool.

Tee-Hee Mapmaker you might be forgiven for thinking that's how those in the industry see themselves but for the most part the majority would probably only claim to be occasionally mildly luke-warm ! The really deeply self-obsessed tend not to last very long. It's a business and quite a tough one at that. Appearances might play a bigger part than in some others but results are what counts as in any modern business environment. Cool doesn't cut it on its own.
Latest Forum Posts