Non-motoring > Five a day Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 40

Five a day - Crankcase
Five fruit and/or veg a day is the right thing to do.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12002299

Five fruit and/or veg a day is a waste of time.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8605270.stm

What do you do? I manage my five, as luckily I like fruit and can cope with the occasional carrot etc, but Mrs C is less keen and it's a struggle for her to manage two, never mind five a day.
 Five a day - Tooslow
I'm probably behind. OJ every day plus at least one piece of fruit. I'm not big on veg; peas, carrot, mashed potato, chips, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, saute potatoes, errrr, where do tomatoes fit in?

Wife insists that potatoes don't count, I tell her she made the rules, she can't go changing them. Shame cider & crisps don't count (do they?)
John
 Five a day - Crankcase
Cider is your apple juice and crisps is more potatoes, so you're sorted.
 Five a day - Bigtee
Im waiting till some Boffin tell's me a Kebab is good for me & a chinky once a week.!!

Fruit i eat lots of it and have done since been a kid.

Chocolate the same.!!

Veg yes but mainly in winter as it's more with hotter foods.

It's finding the right balance which i can't do and lets be honest it's far too boring been sensible.......................!
 Five a day - Old Navy
Stuff the rules, who makes them up anyway? Everything that I like in moderation works for me.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 10:17
 Five a day - CGNorwich
I wouldn't get overly concerned about rigidly sticking to the five a day mantra but on the other hand a lot of people in this country do eat a fairly appalling diet almost devoid of fresh vegetables and fruit and high on saturated fat.

Seems a reasonable idea to try to encourage people to look after their own health a little bit better.

Five a day - Perky Penguin
Tomatoes count towards the 5 and have a further benefit of containing Lycopene which is thought to have some scope for preventing prostate cancer.
 Five a day - Alanovich
I think I'm right in saying that cooked tomatoes provide even more lycopenes, and that ketchup is a particularly fine source. Or sauce, I suppose.
 Five a day - Cliff Pope
Five drinks a day is fine.
I am not sure about cooked but I have certainly heard that Ketchup is very good; perhaps nice thick gloopy tomato juice, + Worcester sauce natch, would also be beneficial?
 Five a day - Tooslow
You're worrying me now. Could I turn into a werewolf by eating too many tomatoes? What's your medical opinion PP? :-)
John
 Five a day - John H
>> Five fruit and/or veg a day is the right thing to do.
>>
>> Five fruit and/or veg a day is a waste of time.
>>
I don't agree with your interpretation of the stories. The second story says "experts stress eating fruit and vegetables is still key to good health. "

>> What do you do? I manage my five, as luckily I like fruit and can

I don't count. My diet is what is probably better than in the "recommended dietary advice", and it comes from a family habit of eating the right things rather than following specific scientific advice.
 Five a day - Crankcase

>> I don't agree with your interpretation of the stories. The second story says "experts stress
>> eating fruit and vegetables is still key to good health. "

Ah, I wish there were a graphic for "slight hyperbole". :)
 Five a day - Dave
It's the same old crock.

Do this - don't do this. Designed for stupid people. I don't need, or want, someone telling me what to put in my mouth, what to drive, what light bulbs to buy, how warm to have the house, what to carry in the car when it's cold, where to invest, how much pension contributions to pay, how I should think, how the world is getting warmer/colder, why I should like/hate Islam, why I should like/hate jews, what shape my carrots should be etc.
 Five a day - RattleandSmoke
i do try and eat 5 a day but I also eat so much crap it is quite pointless.
 Five a day - R.P.
I do five a day, 4 Chocolate Oranges and a Toffee Apple,
 Five a day - AnotherJohnH
>> I do five a day, 4 Chocolate Oranges and a Toffee Apple,
>>
be careful with the toffee apple - it will pull your fillings out :)
 Five a day - John H
>> it will pull your fillings out :)

As he is a retired old man, he doesn't have those, but he has dentures.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 13:38
 Five a day - madf
"The second story says "experts stress
>> eating fruit and vegetables is still key to good health. "

Like taking aspirin daily was bad for you.
Then good for you.

Ir drinking too much was bad for you.
But then 2 glasses of red wine were good for you.

And so on.

A balanced diet makes sense.
Unfortunately my experience of many experts is they are unbalanced to the point of dementia on their expertise...

Last edited by: madf on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 14:17
 Five a day - Old Navy
>> Unfortunately my experience of many experts is they are unbalanced to the point of dementia
>>

And of course would not be influenced by whoever was providing their funding.
 Five a day - Robin O'Reliant
Do Opal Fruits count?
 Five a day - VxFan
No, which is why they changed the name to Starburst to avoid confusion.
 Five a day - devonite
I`m lucky! my parents took the time and trouble to feed me vegatables from as soon as i could eat solids, I like them and I enjoy them, because i was brought up to eat them. But try feeding veg to some of todays kids! unless they have "Crisps" or suchlike printed on the packets they wont eat them! half of them wouldn`t even recognise veggies in the "raw state," anyway! Tis a sorry state of affairs.
I also dont believe in being "vegetarian" like so many are, people are meant to eat meat, thats why we have canine teeth! - we are omnivorous, and the fact that todays meal was yesterdays "fluffy Bunny" is immaterial, if its good healthy food, it doesn`t get wasted, not in Devonite Hovel anyway!
 Five a day - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I`m lucky! my parents took the time and trouble to feed me vegatables from as
>> soon as i could eat solids>>
Great. Because your body WILL tell you what it wants.
It is called CRAVING - Much a joke when referring to pregnant women, but also known by athletes.
Back when I was running 80 miles + a week, I used to get cravings. For weird stuff.
Despite a pretty good diet at home, the body wanted stuff like salt and vinegar crisps, milky bar, peanuts, and certain breakfast cereals. a few "doses" and I was "cured".
"Body wanted stuff like salt and vinegar crisps, milky bar, peanuts, and certain breakfast cereals"

Luck you Ian! I get these cravings without getting out of my armchair!
Penguin, yep.
I like them as armchair food, BUT the cravings/monkey on the back were there!

Amazing, my kids (8 and 10) sleep out with friends over a weekend, and come back and eat fuit and veg, as it wasn't available where they were...
 Five a day - Leif
I love a veggie curry at the weekend, and to be honest a meal does not feel right without plenty of veg. A nice veggie pasta sauce with spaghetti goes down a treat. Or a veggie pizza. I hated veggies, and then in my teens my step mother fed us lots of soups made from pureed veggies, and it adapted our palates. I really love stir fried broccoli with oyster sauce and the like. It is far nicer than any sweet oily rubbish. It is all about habituation. Sweet starchy fried food is cheap to make and provides the big corporations with big profits. I sometimes eat crisps but I find them incredibly salty and greasy. A banana is cheaper and tastier. And incredibly cheap (due to the exploitation of workers, sadly). Veggies make lovely tasty food, but the big corporations would rather we eat over salted deep fried foods with high profit margins.
 Five a day - Zero
When you next have a kebab, don't throw the lettuce in the bin, eat it as well.

That should do it.
 Five a day - CGNorwich
"And incredibly cheap (due to the exploitation of workers, sadly)."

The price of bananas in supermarkets is an interesting phenomenon. They were cheaper than carrots when I bought them last week.

There was an interesting item on the Food Program on R4 recently and it explained that shoppers apparently judge supermarkets on the price of certain key items, one of these being bananas. This has led to a price war although this has not, so far at least, been at the producers expense. Producers are however worried that we become habituated to low cost bananas and will not be prepared to pay the true cost when supermarket subsidies end.
>> "And incredibly cheap (due to the exploitation of workers, sadly)."

Where do you think the phrase 'banana republic' comes from?
Pre WW2 US influence in the caribbean and central american states etc etc etc. No refridgeration on ships, so get your stock to dock and on board as quick as posssible.
 Five a day - MD
If you get a chance to eat Madeiran bananas you will hanker after no others.
 Five a day - CGNorwich
"And incredibly cheap (due to the exploitation of workers, sadly)."

The price of bananas in supermarkets is an interesting phenomenon. They were cheaper than carrots when I bought them last week.

There was an interesting item on the Food Program on R4 recently and it explained that shoppers apparently judge supermarkets on the price of certain key items, one of these being bananas. This has led to a price war although this has not, so far at least, been at the producers expense. Producers are however worried that we become habituated to low cost bananas and will not be prepared to pay the true cost when supermarket subsidies end.
 Five a day - Dog
The nicest narners are (IMO) from the Canary Islands, they are not imported into the UK any more, alas.

They are quite small,compared to the Caribbean narners, and usually quite black, like they've gorn orf.
 Five a day - corax
What happens to all the odd shaped fruit and veg that isn't acceptable for the supermarket? I know that apples get pressed for juice which is something, but the rest? Is it used for cattle feed? Or does it really get thrown out?

I get a few odd shaped things on the allotment, but it all tastes the same - superb!
 Five a day - MD
Hasn't the 'right shape' attitude been abandoned?
 Five a day - RattleandSmoke
A lot of it gets sold on food markets for use in food industry e.g cafes etc.

If a carrot looks a bit wrong it ends up on dishes on your restaurant table.

A lot of it gets also gets sold in value ranges.
 Five a day - devonite
my old hens lay some `orrible looking wrinkled crinkley eggs that you`d neve-ever get to sell in a shop, but hey! once in a bowl you cant tell them from prize-winning perfect ones! and they still taste better than shop-bought ones.
There must be millions like these produced so they must go to baking factories i presume, - cant see them all being wasted and nobody saying anything!
 Five a day - Robin O'Reliant
What do they mean by five a day? Five bites of an apple, or five apples?

If it's the latter I haven't got that amount of time to spend sitting on the toilet, nor have I anywhere to store all the paper.
 Five a day - PhilW
Have a read of this
www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article7095530.ece
the same times which charges for content these days?
 Five a day - rtj70
But that's a link to the old site before they startede charging.
Latest Forum Posts