Non-motoring > iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 10

iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Focusless
What practical differences are there between the 8Gb and 32Gb versions of the most recent (4th generation) iPod Touch?

Price-wise it seems to be about £50 (164/218), which seems like quite a lot. But apart from being able to store a lot more songs, are there things the 32Gb can do that the 8Gb can't?
 iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Zero
>> What practical differences are there between the 8Gb and 32Gb versions of the most recent
>> (4th generation) iPod Touch?

None

>>
>> Price-wise it seems to be about £50 (164/218), which seems like quite a lot.

Its not a lot. You are getting 4 times as much storage.

>> apart from being able to store a lot more songs, are there things the 32Gb
>> can do that the 8Gb can't?

No

iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Iffy
I'd go for the 32Gb.

Based on Apple's estimates, I thought my 16Gb nano would have more than enough space for my CD collection.

As it's turned out, I have very little headroom.

It may be I made a balls of the calculation, but I think Apple's capacity estimate was optimistic.

iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Skoda
8 Gig's only enough as store maybe 1 film, a couple of tv episodes, a few playlists of music, one or 2 audiobooks, some photos, some apps.

Sounds fine, except you'll burn through that in under a week easily, it's a total drag having to hook it up to the pc / laptop more than once a week.

£50 for a few years of convenience? Worth every penny in my book! My 3GS is 16Gb but it's a bit of a squeeze at times and a pain for holidays. IMO :)
 iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Leif
Yes, go for the 32 GB. I have an old 20 GB iPod and had to upgrade to a 32 GB one. Bear in mind that you'll get much better sound quality if you use a higher bit rate compression, at least 196kbps in my opinion, which will mean bigger files, and more disk space used.

The Apple store sometimes does returns and specials, which are a bit cheaper than normal.

Oh, and ditch the rubbish earphones and get some decent ones, ~£30 will give you much better sound quality. Juat be careful where you buy as there are loads of Chinese made fakes that look almost identical to the real thing.
 iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Skoda
>> Oh, and ditch the rubbish earphones and get some decent ones, ~£30 will give you
>> much better sound quality. Juat be careful where you buy as there are loads of
>> Chinese made fakes that look almost identical to the real thing.
>>

Top tip... £11 JVC "Air Cushion". I got these after multiple recommendations when i lost my Shure's. The Shure's are 1 step down from in-ear monitors, the JVCs are 80% as good as the Shures at a tenth of the price.

Bargain if you ask me. Very very good.
 iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Focusless
Thanks for the advice everyone.

F
 iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - R.P.
I went for a pair of foldable Sennheiser phones - well worth the money.
 iPod Touch (4th gen) 8 vs 32Gb - Zero
Who uses the phones you stuff deep in your ear canal? Are they any good?
>> Who uses the phones you stuff deep in your ear canal? Are they any good?

I've tried quite a few Sennheisers in the ~£30 bracket. I had a CX500, which was awful. There was a lot of cable noise, such that whenever the cable moved, it sounded like rolling thunder. So so sound quality too. The problem with many if not most in-ear phones is the lack of bass. Unfortunately most of the others I have tried have too much bass, it's the fashion these days. I've bought 3 or 4 so called sports headphones for running, and all turned out unsuitable for exercise. I think it is marketing nonsense.
Would that be the PX100? The old version is the best I've tried in the ~£30 range. The new one, PX100-II is not as good IMO. The best I've used for an iPod is the AudioTechnica EC-7, very very good, but there are a lot of cosmetically very convincing fakes about.
Latest Forum Posts