Non-motoring > Telly knacked ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 18

Telly knacked ? - Ted

Telly wouldn't bring up my cable signal through the Virgin+ box yesterday. Easy, I thought, switch the mains off and let it re-boot. Didn't work. I run this through a HDMI cable so i went down the caravan and got a co-axial, thinking I could run the telly from the roof aerial on the inbuilt freeview. Showed ' no signal ' again.
Rang Virgin and he tried to fix it on the phone from Gujerat or somewhere but no luck. Engineer coming tomorrow afto.

I suspect the telly, though. It's a 26" Samsung...about 3 yrs old and we've had no trouble.
It shows which channel you're on, or which source but thats all.
It will allow you to view and listen to a DVD perfectly.
I disconnected everything and fetched another telly.. This played the freeview via the aerial but wouldn't play the V+ box.

I suspect there is something in the big telly that grabs a signal, both from the cable and the aerial and this has gone......would this be logicl thought ? If so, is it fixable or do we need to buy another set ?

I had to get my 15" one out and put it on the dining table for SWMBO to look at.
We both sat there last night in some discomfort. Tonight, I fixed it up in the lounge through the aerial point there. Much better but a bit too small to be really enjoyable.

Any advice.....just pay out again ? I'll wait 'til the engineer's been tomrrow, he or she might have an idea too.

NiteNite all.

Ted
 Telly knacked ? - Manatee
'Morning Ted.

>>I suspect there is something in the big telly that grabs a signal, both from the cable and the aerial and this has gone......would this be logicl thought ?

How would you account for the other TV no playing the Virgin source?

Anyway, I know just enough about flat panel tellies to be dangerous, having spent a couple of days out with a TV service bloke. There's not much in them in terms of major components. About 4 big boards, maybe a daughterboard or two, a pair of speakers and the panel itself. "Repair" isn't usually at component level, just diagnose and replace the relevant board unless the panel's gone, which obviously isn't the case with yours if it's displaying the "no-signal" messages. I don't know what an honest repairman charges, but that aside whether it's an economic repair would usually depend on the cost of which ever board is replaced (assuming the repairman isn't ex-motor-trade and randomly replacing them until it works ;-)).
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 08:52
 Telly knacked ? - Zero
The option of repair is usually about availability of the relevant board and at what cost.

If its a non mainstream brand, spares are usually non existent.
Correct Z - saw a few write-offs for that reason (usually just parts not available). If you're lucky a board might only be £30 though.
 Telly knacked ? - sherlock47
I just replaced a Power board in a 2 year old 32" sony for £39 (sourced on EBay). Second hand but guaranteed. But it had taken me 5 months to find the intermittent fault though!

Plenty available in the States but generally at an even higher price. UK new price £175 - who would buy that ( + repiar cost)?
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 11 Dec 10 at 09:39
 Telly knacked ? - R.P.
Have you got a portable with a HDMI that you can test the box on that first. If that doesn't work, tey a replace,

Google the make and model, it may be a known fault. The one on my Toshiba was - remote switching worked only irregularly - a software download fixed it - eventually !
 Telly knacked ? - rtj70
IF this tv is connected via hdmi then there is no output via the main scart on the v+ box.
 Telly knacked ? - Iffy
...so i went down the caravan and got a co-axial, thinking I could run the telly from the roof aerial on the inbuilt freeview. Showed ' no signal ' again...

I wonder if when this happened Ted had failed to retune the telly to the co-axial input, so the 'no signal' message still referred to the line input from the V+ box.

I'm backing a combination of a V+ box fault and pilot error. :)

>>I'm backing a combination of a V+ box fault and pilot error. :)

Yes, we still don't know why the Virgin box wouldn't play through the second TV...
 Telly knacked ? - RattleandSmoke
I am a bit confused now, does the virgin box have a co-axial UHF output - I doubt it.

All it would be is a loop through probably.

If the Samsung does not have a built in freeview then you could get no signal by passing the virgin box because analogue is switched off.

Have you tried hooking up a dvd player via a scart lead?
 Telly knacked ? - AnotherJohnH
>> It will allow you to view and listen to a DVD perfectly.

I'd pull ALL the extra leads out of the back of the TV, and try the internal freeview.

It may be that your DVD player (or other external device, might be Virgin box) has "grabbed hold" of the its (HDMI?) input and nothing else can get a look in.
 Telly knacked ? - -
Ah Samsung...might be worth looking it up as already suggested.

My son has a 40" Samsung about 3 years old, started playing up, his resourceful wife researched and found they have had many problems with the power supply going into the telly's...seems Samsung will repair under goodwill for free and she got in contact, sure enough the repair was carried out a few weeks ago...might be worth a bit of looking into.
 Telly knacked ? - Stuartli
>>because analogue is switched off.>>

Depends where OP lives Rattle.

We're just very fortunate in the beautiful North West...:-)

I have a pal whose 42in Toshiba set (original price well into four figures) packed up after only two to three years. It would have cost nearly £900 to repair it, so he just bought a new one (Panasonic of course this time!) which also left him with a few pounds change.
 Telly knacked ? - Ted

Thanks all......sorry not to have posted until now but it's been a busy day and I've not been around too much.
The girl from Virgin came this afternoon and diagnosed a fault on the telly and also a fault on the plus box. She fitted a new box ( free ) but couldn't do anything about the telly.
We connected up one of the other tvs and the cable worked ok.

So, when I'd finished today's toil, SWMBO and i took the plunge and went shopping. We came home with a 32" Sony Bravia....with a VAT back offer. More than I was going to pay but it's better than sitting in the lounge scowling at each other all evening. The larger size is better for my vision as well !

Might try the route that the admirable Mr Bennett suggested. in any case, i'm not chucking the old one. I have a cunning plan which involves fitting it in the workshop with a cheap DVD player and getting some use out of it !

Many thanks to all who replied.

Ted
 Telly knacked ? - Iffy
...We came home with a 32" Sony Bravia...

Seems a shame to have to lob out on a new telly only three years after buying the old one.

At least the Sony should be a worthwhile upgrade.

Telly knacked ? - Dog
>>Seems a shame to have to lob out on a new telly only three years after buying the old one.<<

S'only a Samsung.
 Telly knacked ? - teabelly
That's a bit disappointing for a samsung. Only 3 years fully working. Wonder if the expiry of the v box could have killed the tv input or the other way round?
 Telly knacked ? - Zero
entirely possible, or a voltage surge? have you checked the Stereo Ted?

Good boxes those Sony's, better than that Panasonic merde
 Telly knacked ? - Ted

Stereo, Zed ?? haven't had one for years since the handle that you wound it up with broke !
Nothing else seems not to work. last +box we had replaced was after a savage electric storm close by that actually broke windows in some houses round the corner !

The Virgin engineers are spot on, really. How these kids know all the stuff they do is beyond me.

Bedtime.......'ad enough of you lot :-)

Ted
Latest Forum Posts