Non-motoring > What to do about wrong name on divorce papers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 7

What to do about wrong name on divorce papers - Stuu
My brother has, some 25 years on, found that his divorce papers have his first name missed out and only his middle name on them. His marriage was in the correct name so Im not sure why it wasnt flagged up when he gave his marriage cert in with the papers.

He needs to rectify it quickly if possible due to a personal issue. The court werent very helpful, he doesnt know what to do. Any clues?
 What to do about wrong name on divorce papers - R.P.
Unlikely, but has he still got contact with the original solicitors ? Bit slack that.
Just a bit. he has just been made redundant with ill health and for some reason, he needs his decree absolute, couldnt tell you why, but he dicovered its in the wrong name and now he is panicking.
 What to do about wrong name on divorce papers - FotheringtonTomas
He might get some help by going to the court in question, with the paperwork, and proper identification, just in case, and asking the Clerk to the Court (Clerk's office).
He went to the court and they pretty well shrugged their shoulders. hence he rang my dad because he has no idea how to change anything.
 What to do about wrong name on divorce papers - Iffy
I wonder if this is much of a problem.

All those years ago he could have been using his middle name and surname only, or he could be doing that now.

Are there any other personal details on the paperwork he has such as an address or date of birth?

Does he have a marriage certificate with both christian names on, or even his middle initial?

Any or all of these would lend good support to the proposition he is the person on the divorce papers.

Also, he has the divorce papers in his hand.

It is highly unlikely an impostor with such a similar name would have these papers.

His birth certificate or driving licence should have his full name on.

I think he has the supporting evidence to prove to a very high standard he is the person on the papers.
 What to do about wrong name on divorce papers - R.P.
If the original Solicitor is not contactable, two options get a new solicitor and swear an affidavit about the error or contact the local registrar of BD&M - I would imagine it could be corrected with a sworn affidavit and then get the original papers amended. If he needs a new Solicitor he may need the docs that iffy mentions. Working on the assumption that nothing other than a correct document will work.
Thanks guys, he is very much a novice at these things and doesnt know what to do in such situations, which leads onto my next thread...
Latest Forum Posts