Non-motoring > Butter milk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hoseman Replies: 26

Butter milk - Hoseman
Does anyone know where buttermilk can be bought?
I am following Delia's recipe for scones and cannot find any butter milk.

Hoseman
 Butter milk - Iffy
...Does anyone know where buttermilk can be bought?...

No, but apparently ordinary milk mixed with lemon juice or clear vinegar is reckoned to be a good substitute.

Butter milk - Hoseman
Thank you Iffy , I'll give it a try

Hoseman
 Butter milk - L'escargot
Tesco sell St Ivel Buttermilk at 55p for 284 ml.
 Butter milk - Clk Sec
As L'escargot's post above, but also available at Waitrose at the same price. It's low fat, by the way.

...There is no charge for this service.
 Butter milk - Zero
Most of the items for Delia's recipes are available in Waitrose.
 Butter milk - borasport
I use it for sodabread - I usually get it from either Tesco or Sainsburys, it will be in pots like cream, and usually, but not always in the same place as the cream, but it is something they don't always have appeared to have in stock
 Butter milk - Old Navy
Obviously a lot of guys here who get sent for shopping. :-)
 Butter milk - Clk Sec
I don't mind the odd bit of shopping, as long as it keeps me out of the kitchen.
 Butter milk - Old Navy
I am only allowed into the kitchen for washing up, or emptying the dishwasher. I would rather go for the forgotten item too.
 Butter milk - Clk Sec
I'm not even allowed to empty the dishwasher. Thank goodness!
 Butter milk - Zero
Why am I not surprised this is the last remaining refuge of domestic dinosaurs?
 Butter milk - CGNorwich

Never understood why so many men are proud of their complete inability to cook even a basic meal. Surely its a basic skill that everyone should have.
 Butter milk - Clk Sec
Who said that they could not cook a basic meal? Who said that they were proud?

Wrong end of the stick, again...
 Butter milk - CGNorwich
Just an observation Clk Sec and not directed at you. I am sure you cooking skills are excellent.
 Butter milk - Zero
>> Just an observation Clk Sec and not directed at you. I am sure you cooking
>> skills are excellent.
>>

>> I don't mind the odd bit of shopping, as long as it keeps me out of the kitchen

But not recently practised by the sound of it.
 Butter milk - Clk Sec
>>I am sure your cooking skills are excellent.
>>But not recently practised by the sound of it.

Not my favourite pastime, CGN. Zero has me banged to rights.

Must try this buttermilk, though.
 Butter milk - Bromptonaut
My family assert that my cooking skils are limited to kedgeree, lambs heart stew & rabbit. I can in fact do a mean steak & chips as well!!
 Butter milk - Bellboy
agree CGN
home economics was disbanded by dozy tony though i believe in the rush to get everyone to youniverseatiy
 Butter milk - rtj70
Overtime I have ended up getting most (normally all) of the groceries sorted. When I work from home or nearby I often do the evening meal too. And load/unload the dishwasher too. Finally found the attachment in the new house (at the back of the cupboard under the sink) to do full size/height items (Bosch style).

Evening meal tonight because the wife worked until 8pm is fresh pasta. Pasta itself itself is not hand made but the rest is.

And it took an hour to drive from the office to home earlier. And stopped to pick up a few groceries locally.
 Butter milk - Runfer D'Hills
I love to cook and I like shopping for food. Don't really do washing up much though. My wife has a machine which does it apparently. I don't interfere.
 Butter milk - Ted

I used to cook an evening meal when TTQ was doing her full 3 days a week in the Jewellers shop. I'm not a brilliant cook but I could knock up a fair pasta meal or one of those cook in sauce types of things.

Her hobby is cooking, as a former cookery teacher. Since retiring, she does the foody bits and is very inventive. Being under the Weight Watchers regime means I don't really have a clue as to what she is allowed, so i leave well enough alone now.

I don't mind the washing up, though. I stack the machine and generally empty it. I wash easier things in the sink and make sure the kitchen is all boxed off and squared away for the morning. As the guys sing in Wonderpets....' What do we want ?....teamwork ' !

I do my own washing, rarely have the need to iron anything. In a different era, I could happily iron 15 to 20 shirts in one session, needed the music on, of course.

Ted
 Butter milk - devonite
Traditionally Scones are made with sour milk! - put a pinta in a warm place a couple of days before your next baking day.
 Butter milk - Iffy
...Traditionally Scones are made with sour milk!...

Hence the substitute for butter milk is milk and lemon juice or vinegar - soured milk.

Butter milk - Pat
Now you're talking Ted, ironing is relaxing, soothing and takes you to far away places.
I love it and iron everything, socks, teatowels, even dusters too...all while head banging away ( with the ironing board for support) to Def Leppard:)

Pat
 Butter milk - Iffy
...I love it and iron everything...

Pat,

That's a risky thing to say on the forum.

I apprehend several bales of un-ironed clothing will land on your doorstep.

To be serious, ironing has become a business for some people.

There's an 'ironing shop' at Framwellgate Moor on the outskirts of Durham City.

Butter milk - Pat
But I only do it when it's cold outside, you see, I love gardening more!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts