Non-motoring > Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 30

Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Perky Penguin
These have now reached the point where they can be bought for less than the price of a 2nd hand car, at last! I have heard that, being body temperature sensitive they cannot be used in conjunction with an electric blanket. The thought being that the blanket heating affects the performance of the memory foam. My partner cannot sleep in the winter without an electric pre-heat at least. Please can any member comment on this matter? Thank you.
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Focusless
Sorry to avoid your question PP but have you tried one? Me and Mrs Focus were keen to buy one, but before we did we happened to spend a night at a hotel which had them on their beds. We were underwhelmed - IIRC we kept rolling into each other. For goodness sake...

However if you have tried one and they work for you, then apologies for the digression.
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Zero
After many years of bad backs, we bought a memory foam matress last year.

It is without doubt the finest invention ever, I doubt you slept in a hotel with a good memory foam matress Mr F, for it is impossible to roll into each other, as the matress creates individual impressions.

No idea about electric pre heating tho
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - spamcan61
>> Sorry to avoid your question PP but have you tried one? Me and Mrs Focus
>> were keen to buy one but before we did we happened to spend a night
>> at a hotel which had them on their beds. We were underwhelmed
>>

Same here, they're not for everyone. Given they're still pretty expensive I'd definitely want to try one out properly before buying.
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Iffy
...Given they're still pretty expensive...

The Myers 4ft memory divan I bought for the caravan was about £400.

Not the cheapest bed in the shop, but there were some 'ordinary' ones that were more.
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - henry k
>>Please can any member comment on this matter?
>>
Google is your friend......memory foam and electric blankets
lots to read and examples below

www.mattress-solutions.co.uk/faqs.html
"Q. Can I use an electric blanket in combination with my overlay?

A. Yes this won't be a problem. Just place your electric blanket on top of the overlay and under your sheet as normal. (Remember it is not recommended to leave an electric blanket on whilst you are asleep). "

www.extracomfort.co.uk/faq.cfm

Q) Can I use an electric blanket with a memory foam overlay / topper?

A) Yes, as long as the electric blanket is on top of the foam and not underneath it. It’s best to have a sheet or cover between the foam and the electric blanket. Remember always follow the safety instructions supplied by the manufacturer and never leave an electric blanket on overnight.

www.memoryfoammattress-domus.co.uk/faq.asp#q4

Are Memory Foam mattresses compatible with electric blankets?
A4. In the long term, using an electric blanket regularly can break down the memory cells of a Memory Foam mattress, but there is no reason not to use an electric blanket to warm the bed before retiring, as long as it is not left on all night.

I certainly find the matress is hot in the summer and some ( like our non Tempur) are on a foam base making them very soft and givving on the edges.

p.s. Tempur used to give a massive discount to those in the medical profession.
Last edited by: henry k on Sun 14 Mar 10 at 21:45
Mattresses are a personal thing, but I've been impressed with memory foam.

I put a memory 'topper' on the mattress at Ifithelps Towers and am pleased with the result.

My bed at the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire has a Myers hybrid sprung/memory foam mattress which I reckon beats just springs for comfort.

Putting a topper on an existing mattress will give you a good idea of the memory foam experience and they only cost about £60.

direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-1061.aspx
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - MD
I tried a pillow, once and once only!
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Dog
((( I tried a pillow, once and once only! )))

You sordid little man ;-)
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - MD
>> ((( I tried a pillow once and once only! )))
>>
>> You sordid little man ;-)
>>
Not so much of the Little, Old Hand!!

M
>>> Not so much of the Little, Old Hand!! <<<

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> :-D
>> I tried a pillow once and once only!
>>
Me too. Orrible things !

We had a topper on a a quality matress and it was OK.
SWMBO who has a greater need of a MF matress decided we would get one .
Reading up about them, it was often stated it is better to get one delivered that is not rolled up but flat.
We bought ours from a company that not only delivered it flat but also on a trial basis.
"Try it out and after x weeks you do not like it them we will collect it."

Most MF matresses appear to have two or three inches of MF on top of normal foam ( hence the can be rolled up for transportion).
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Statistical Outlier
I mention this only in case anyone is interested.

My parents bought an extremely expensive latex/memory foam mattress from 'The Heathy House' as my father suffers from allergies and they are supposed to be as good as it gets if you have problems with dust mites etc.

Sadly, after less than a week, it became apparent that he is allergic to the latex in the mattress, and so they are unable to use it and need to get rid of it.

Link to the page here: tinyurl.com/yjqyzku

I believe it is the 150 cm wide latex, if anyone was interested in making an offer I can check.

Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Stuartli
Some very reasonably priced memory foam mattresses and toppers here:

www.memoryfoammattressdirect.co.uk/

Almost certainly other similar suppliers - they were also being offered on BidTV recently at low prices.
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - merlin
I heard that memory form matresses are no good if you do more than just sleep when you go to bed ;) Something to do with the memory form upsetting rhythm. Also the extra heat generated has an affect...
I been away for a few days but my thanks for the comments to date. I agree that the matresses need trying out but the faffing about getting it collected at the end of a 30 day free trial is a bit off putting. I have to say, without getting too personal that Mrs PP and I have very different body thermostats! She sleeps almost fully dressed plus cashmere bedsocks and all all-night electric blanket while I sleep in a pair of boxer shorts type jimjams and lie on top of the duvet to get away from all the heat! I think perhaps a new decent pocket spring mattress is the way to go. I like my comforts - I take my goosedown pillow with me on holiday as nothing else will do!
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - BobbyG
Single beds???
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Stuartli
Might not be of interest to you now, but this memory foam mattress topper range has just been reduced in price:

www.jmldirect.com/Mattress-Topper-PM3321/
Not yet BobbyG - there is no gain without pain! Thank you Stuart for the link re cheap toppers, I think if I am going the memory foam way it will the full mattress!
...I think if I am going the memory foam way it will the full mattress!...

Your choice, but a topper will give an almost identical experience, assuming your present mattress is in reasonable condition.

>> ...a topper will give an almost identical experience assuming your present mattress
>> is in reasonable condition.
>>
I agree. It would appear that most if not all the matresses have just either 2" or 3" of memory foam as the top layer.
We had a 2" topper prior to replacing out old matress with a memory foam topped latex matress.

Maybe try a half width topper thus saving some ££s
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - movilogo
I sleep on memory foam matress and would not go back to conventional pocket spring matress ever.

These are very comfortable. They come in all formats and make sure you choose the one with required firmness setting (1 = very soft, 9 = very hard).
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Zero
We have a memory foam mattress.

Best thing we ever bought.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 Mar 11 at 10:40
I ditched my old springy mattress when my back 'went', I bought a mammary foam mattress on the firm side of firm,

With hindsight, I would have gorn for the much-more expensive Latex jobbie.
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Roger.
We have a combination of pocket springs and memory foam incorporated into the construction of the mattress.
This gives a decent mix of a firmish base with a softish surface and is also not costly.
tinyurl.com/5uu86tw
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Snakey
I bought one from an online place for £200. Its quite firm but with my damaged back I find it better.

It took a little bit of getting used to, but now I much prefer it to a soggy wallowy spring mattress.
My fairly cheap memory mattress topper at Iffy Towers is just, well, topper.

The bed at the caravan is a spring mattress with memory foam incorporated and is also very comfy.

Mattresses are very much a matter of personal preference, but I would recommend anyone give a topper a try.

An inch thick is all you need and there are plenty about for around £50.

Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Crankcase
Some of us have a complete inability to sleep in a bed at all. Oh the joys of a B&B where I have to try and get some cushions onto the floor under my hip and grab the usual two and half hours at best. Sigh.

It's weird, but lying in a bed of any sort for more than ten minutes makes me feel nauseous, so it's the floor for me.

Not a good sleeper.
 Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Enoughalready
After many years of suffering a bad back we got a memory foam mattress and I hated it.....for two weeks then I must have adapted and it's perfect. I can now sleep in on a Sunday morning which is something I could never do before due to backache. The only issue I have is the heat but I throw back the covers if I get too hot.

Tempur/Memory Foam Matresses - Old Navy
After using a memory foam topper for a few years we bought a spring mattress with a built in memory foam layer. It looks like a standard mattress but is extremely comfortable.

This sort of thing -

www.silentnight.co.uk/products/mattresses/memory-foam
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 16 Mar 11 at 19:01
Ere's my one ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Mattress-exclusive-Sleep-Solutions/dp/B0038MEHGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1300303437&sr=8-5

My review is Nodlander ... I bought a cheapie to see how I got on with it, but then why pay more?,
it's only a bit of polyurethane foam with a fancy cover.
Latest Forum Posts