Non-motoring > Transporting a fridge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 27

Transporting a fridge - RattleandSmoke
The fridge is not working (it is too cold) I have offered to replace the termostat but I suspect it eneds regassing anyway it is a good ten years old.

It is a seperate fridge (e.g not a freezer) I have offered to buy my parents a new fridge but my mum thinks they can only be transported up right, this is true? If so I doubt it will fit in my car.
 Transporting a fridge - Tooslow
tinyurl.com/3axncap

All you need to know about moving fridges in here.
John
 Transporting a fridge - Iffy
Don't think there's a problem transporting it on its side.

The usual warning is to stand a fridge upright for a few hours before turning it on.

Transporting a fridge - Skip
It will be fine transporting it on it's side, i have done so many times.
However i was once advised to let it stand upright for at least 6 hours to let the gas settle before plugging it in, which i have always done and have never experienced any problems.
 Transporting a fridge - -
If you went into the store room of a small domestic appliance shop you're likely to find brand new tall fridges lying on their side inside their packaging, usually on top of upright ones.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 4 Dec 10 at 16:17
 Transporting a fridge - Zero
Have it delivered
 Transporting a fridge - Bellboy
tell them to store their food in the garden while we have this freeze on
not under yellow snow though
oh and always let the fridge stand before use if its been on its side or sometimes they do indeed never work agains
Just no point on delviery, making sure me and my dad are in on a random date. It is easier just to stick it in the car.

The garden is not an option due to cats.
I thought something like that would be the case :). Now I need to see if a fridge will fiat in one of the smallest cars in the road even with seats down. Tape measure time.

Does the brand matter with fridges? Unlike washing machines have always felt a fridge is just a fridge.
 Transporting a fridge - Harleyman
Unlike washing machines have always felt a fridge is
>> just a fridge.
>>

Well observed. If that was the case, you could always put your food in the washing machine. ;-)
 Transporting a fridge - Stuartli
>>..have always felt a fridge is just a fridge.>>

Quality still counts..:-)

However, the Beko models are reasonably priced and reliable.

You should always leave a fridge or fridge/freezer which has been transported, probably on its side, for at least four hours before switching it on.
Looking at the Beko ones, my mothers put of the brand because of our cheap and nasty Beko gas cooker though. I explained to her that half the goods in the house are probably made by them but with a different badge on it.

The budget is probably £140.

>>..half the goods in the house are probably made by them but with a different badge on it.>>

It's a Turkish company.

I bought one of Beko's 70cm wide fridge/freezers about four months ago, mainly on the recommendation of my best mate (who has one himself and used to own an independent audio/visual/appliance retail outlet) and also one of his mates, who has a similar shop and supplied the Beko.

As both know the quality and reliability of the vast majority of such products on the market, I'm always happy to take note of their recommendations.
 Transporting a fridge - Clk Sec
>>Does the brand matter with fridges?

I don't think it does, as they all seem to be reliable. Fridge freezers are a different matter.
 Transporting a fridge - Fenlander
Ebay is your friend. I bought a Bosch fridge last year. Almost £300 new but at just 14mths old and as new won for an £80 bid.
 Transporting a fridge - Clk Sec
I bought a couple of Coolzone's from the Co-op about 2 years ago. Just under £100 each, I think.
 Transporting a fridge - kb
I don't post here very often for one reason or another but Rattle might want to know, especially in view of the weather, that Beko is either the only...or one of a very few, makes that will warranty the fridge / freezer in garages, down to temperatures of minus fifteen. Most (all?) of the others won't warranty the item below about ten degrees above. This is due to the compressor cutting out in low temperatures....clearly if the fridge compressor doesn't cut in due to the cold, it doesn't affect the food, but if the freezer compressor cuts out then the freezer contents perish as it fails to maintain it's minus eighteen degrees. Lots on the net to this effect which explains it better. The main thing to gain from this is if you're going to put it in the garage / shed / cold outhouse, you're limited to a Beko. (Just bought one today).

I didn't explore much beyond the above but it might be the case that seperate compressors for fridge and freezer compartments might add flexibility but as they tend to be dearer I didn't dig too deep - only wanting a cheap overflow fridge freezer in the garage.

Don't ask me how or why Beko offer this facility - I'll ring and ask next week just to satisfy curiosity. A good Google shows them to be quite cheap, albeit with differences in price of up to £70 between different suppliers (silver's cheaper than white for my model, BTW)

Finally, fit a smoke or heat alarm near to an old fridge / freezer in a garage. I've seen the results when they catch fire, and being seperate from the house a fire usually has a chance to get a hold and 'bottle up' before anyone notices. You might want to read up on these too, as some smoke alarms aren't recommended for garages.
 Transporting a fridge - -
Fridges don't usually go seriously wrong but what they or rather the cheap ones do is fall apart, and i mean the interiors and fittings.

Bosch, Siemens, Leibherr and other such makes may be no more efficient but their interiors and body's are of much higher quality and will usualy last many years longer, as their washing machine/diswasher etc products do...(well we'll see if that's the case in years to come as it has been to date, i notice made in CR on the outer packaging of some surprising makes in my current work).

Not suggesting quality makes work out any more economical that buying a cheap one and replacing it in 3 years though, thats a personal choice some prefer new things.
 Transporting a fridge - Dave_
I have a Beko fridge/freezer dating from 1997. As GB notes, the fittings inside the door have seen better days but that's mainly from my children swinging from them when they were much smaller. It still maintains fridge and freezer temperatures just fine, it's been moved house 7 times (sometimes upright in a lorry, sometimes on its side in a car), managed 4 years being neglected by the ex-mrs and never suffered any ill effects.

I used to deliver fridges, and always told customers to leave them to "settle" for 4-6 hours before switching on. The reason I was told was because the refrigerant is suspended in oil in a similar way to CO₂ is suspended in lemonade, therefore the settling time allows the bubbles to rise to the highest point and not form any airlocks around the system anywhere.
 Transporting a fridge - RichardW
If i's too cold then your assumption that the stat is goosed is almost certainly right. Domestic fridges are hermetically sealed, so it won't need regassing. Fo course changing the stat might be a job you wish you hadn't started....we changed one on an Ariston, and had to break part of the fridge to change it. When it went again, we changed the fridge!
 Transporting a fridge - Dave
The whole upright thing is because when it's laid on its side, the refrigerant oil can move around the sytem, when it should be sat in the bottom of the compressor. So leaving it upright lets it all drain back to the compressor at the bottom. If this isn't done then the oil can enter the inlet of the compressor and hydraulic it.
Miele re-badges the Leibherr fridges and freezers to its own specifications - the only Miele products that are not manufactured by the company itself.
 Transporting a fridge - Manatee
>> Miele re-badges the Leibherr fridges and freezers to its own specifications - the only Miele
>> products that are not manufactured by the company itself.

So I understood, just had to replace our FF and bought Liebherr. Seems quite well built as I discovered when I came to swap the doors over - needed torx bits as well.

IKEA had some very good value refrigeration products - worth a look if you don't need it delivered.

Currys probably the best range, including Beko UTC fridge bang on budget -

goo.gl/ZsU6d
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 12:58
>>..probably the best range..>>

Wouldn't touch the high street outlets with the proverbial barge pole...:-)

If you missed my earlier thread, I pointed out that I had bought a Beko fridge/freezer about four months ago on the recommendation of two people who sell or have sold appliances from an independent outlet (both Euronics members):

beko.co.uk/ProductDetails-76-Fridge-Freezer-CDA751F.aspx
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 13:35
PS

The Beko replaced a Bosch fridge from the early 2000s whose insulation had packed up, the freezer section disposing a 30-year-old plus LEC 5.8cu ft model still working perfectly.

The Bosch was housed on top of the LEC, so a combined unit made more sense, with the 70cm width of the Beko creating virtually as much interior freezer capacity and improved fridge space.
 Transporting a fridge - Manatee
>> >>..probably the best range..>>
>>
>> Wouldn't touch the high street outlets with the proverbial barge pole...:-)
>>

Why on earth not? You're buying the fridge, not the shop ;-)
 Transporting a fridge - AnotherJohnH
cheapest of the cheap is probably an Aldi fridge at £79.99

Bought one (2008?) as a garage/overflow fridge, and ended up using it in the kitchen as SWMBO couldn't get on with what appeared to me to be a quite nice Bosch fridge.

Something to do with the gaps between the shelves, ISTR.

Takes all sorts, I suppose.
 Transporting a fridge - The Nut
>> Now I need to see if a fridge will fiat in one of the smallest cars in the road even
>> with seats down. Tape measure time.

I once transported a fridge in a Nova 4 door saloon, the seats didn't fold in that. We got it accross the back seat, it only just fitted and I had to open the door window as the door didn't open far enough to load it. So a hatch back with folding seats should do it.
Latest Forum Posts