Non-motoring > Russia will host the 2018 World Cup Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeteW Replies: 23

Russia will host the 2018 World Cup - PeteW
Not wishing to sound unpatriotic but thank god for that - with our national finances as they are just how did we expect to fund this if successful?
Plus it means all the footy agro boys will go to Russia now and come up against some REAL opposition!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 18:50
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - Perky Penguin
We shall still be paying thru the nose for the so called legacy of the poxy Olympics so we have done well really
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - Zero
You got no idea you guys have you.

We would have made a packet from this. No stadia to build, no olympic villages. It was pure profit. The BBC stood to gain most from this, so their highly successful attempt to pox it up was a surprise.
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - ....
>> You got no idea you guys have you.
>>
>> We would have made a packet from this. No stadia to build, no olympic villages.
>> It was pure profit. The BBC stood to gain most from this, so their highly
>> successful attempt to pox it up was a surprise.
>>
There wasn't enough profit in it for FIFA and Blatter's pension pot in England hosting it.
If you get a chance read Foul! by Andrew Jennings.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 16:42
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - Tooslow
Has the Russian mafia decided who wins yet or are they still accepting bids?
John
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - Zero
Several small tin pot nations are now looking to change their presidential palaces.
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - madf
Bread and circuses were used to keep the Roman mob entertained. Not much has chanhed in 2,000 years.. except fewer casualties...

And anyone who supports the English football team is clearly a devoted follower of Saint Jude...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 15:59
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - R.P.
I really thought that if England would have got it, it would have finally exorcised the ghost of the 66 world cup and laid it to rest- fat chance of it happening in my lifetime then !

Funny though. Putin made a last minute decision not to go to the final presentations - maybe it was all sewn up ?

Maybe they should have sent Prince Andrew ?

Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 16:14
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - Iffy
...Plus it means all the footy agro boys will go to Russia...

EP,

Not sure why you're so pleased - think of the commission on the replacement of all the broken windows. :)

RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - PeteW
God if I'm still selling windows in 2018 someone please shoot me.....
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - smokie
Suppose there's no chance of the Eurovision song contest instead? :-)
...Suppose there's no chance of the Eurovision song contest instead? :-) ...

One or two of those could crack a few windows as well.

RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - SteelSpark
>> God if I'm still selling windows in 2018 someone please shoot me.....

The Russian Mafia might do you a good deal...and I don't mean on the windows...
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - SteelSpark
Might give us a chance to win it. I don't reckon the Brazilians, Argentinians, Italians, Spanish, or most others will fancy it in Moscow (even in the summer).

We should move the Premier League to Scotland for the next 8 years to fully acclimatise and sort out our frozen pitch tactics.

EDIT: Actually Moscow seems quite warm in summer...stupid stereotypes letting me down!
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 18:39
...We should move the Premier League to Scotland...

I bet the Jock refs would be pleased to see the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger on the touchline.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 18:51
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE 2018 WORLD CUP - CGNorwich
Russia in 2018 I can understand but Quatar in summer 2022? Come on lads its only 40 C !
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - Perky Penguin
"Millionaires gathering with bent millionaires to decide where to hold a spectacle where the common man pays way over the odds to watch more millionaires kick a ball and swear, spit and fight all over the pitch

Beautiful game, my *RS* !
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - Stuu
I wonder if the decision was made just before a Russian lunch :-)
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - MrTee43
There must have been some big brown paper bags flying around or do they do it some other way these days.

I noticed that Roman Abramovich was there as well.
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - Harleyman
May I be the first to say that I really couldn't care less?

PP has summed the whole thing up quite perfectly for me.
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - NortonES2
Ditto. May the whole mosquito population of Moscow and the taiga descend on the shambles. A plague of pustules on the FIFA lot too.
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - hobby
Good... are we too late to hand the 2012 Olympics back to Paris?

Save a fortune that would...
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - Pat
We are such good losers in this country.

Pat
 RUSSIA WILL HOST THE WORLD CUP WHAT A RELIEF - hobby
Why would we want something that will cost us money, though, Pat? I was reading an article in one of the papers yesterday that was examining the possible effect on tourism if we'd have got it... it concluded that we were better off without it, more tourists would have stayed away (put off by the supporters' reputations) than the number of fans coming from other countries...

And if you look at the costs of hosting an Olympic Games I don't think any country thats done it have made any money, in fact most are still trying to pay off the debt, just like we will be!

No, good riddance to bad rubbish.
Latest Forum Posts