Non-motoring > O2's handy 1471 number is no more. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 13

O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - VxFan
Just like a landline you could dial 1471 to check who the last person was to call you on the O2 mobile network.

Handy? Well I thought it was. O2 however have ditched it.

They now offer "call alert" whereby you get sent a free txt of the details of who phoned you if your phone was switched off or out of network range.

What's wrong with that I hear your ask? Well, you can only have "call alert" active if you switch off your voicemail. Seems you can only have one or the other active, not both.

Their logic is that if you've got voicemail switched on, people will leave a message. Well not in my experience - a good percentage would just hang up and not bother unless it was important. That's where I thought the 1471 feature was handy. If your phone was off, or out of network range, at least you could check if someone had recently called you and not relied on someone leaving a message.

Nice try O2, but 0 out of 10 for effort. Why can't we have "call alert" and voicemail switched on together? Orange, for example allow it.
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - BobbyG
But if they haven't left a message its obviously not important so why bother trying to work out who called you?
Because some people are not comfortable with leaving messages on an answerphone.
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - Zero
its on your "recents" list on your phone.
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - movilogo
In a mobile phone, you can always see who called you! If caller withheld his/her number, then you couldn't get that using 1471 (at least that's the case with BT landline).
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - R.P.
"Recents" won';t show a call if the phone is off or out of signal.
>> "Recents" won';t show a call if the phone is off or out of signal.

Glad to see someone is awake this morning.
>> If caller withheld his/her number, then you couldn't get that using 1471

You do however still get a time/date reference of when they called.
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - paulb
>> Because some people are not comfortable with leaving messages on an answerphone.
>>

True, but I guess if it's that urgent, they would try again?
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - Skoda
Have they made a replacement available like the *147# or whatever on some networks that texts you the time & number of the last caller?

I tried 1471 yesterday on my o2 and it didn't work was mighty miffed as i use it quite a bit, live in a low signal area.

Is it Focus on here who works on femtocells? Any chance of a freebie / 5 fingered discount Focus? :-)
>> Have they made a replacement available like the *147# or whatever on some networks that texts you the time & number of the last caller?

Yes, it's called "Call Alert" - which I mentioned right at the start of this thread, but you can't use this and voicemail together. It's one or the other.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 10:32
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - rtj70
These are used on Vodafone I believe. Not O2.
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - Bromptonaut
Orange send a missed call text in these circs. I'm sure, even on Voda or O2, there are periods on a moving train or in the car where you can be out of signal for a few minutes.
 O2's handy 1471 number is no more. - Skoda
The work bb has the vodafone call catcher -- sends a text when you've missed a call. I don't rate it. It's forever bleeping and moaning about emails and sms messages so i subconsciously ignore it and miss the call catcher messages.

Only interested in checking i've missed a call at certain times, the *147# thing is ideal (so is 1471). That call catcher thing's a waste for me.
Latest Forum Posts