Non-motoring > Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 19

Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Stuu
Im toying with the idea of visiting maybe next year, anyone been there? My nan, who may not have many more years left, expressed an interest in going as its one place she has never been. Id like to help her realise the ambition.

Is there much to do? Is it expensive?
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Tooslow
Only on a day trip. I think one person owns most of the hotels / accomodation and a report on the tv said the food was dire.

Much to do? Does she like bird watching / fishing / making sand castles?

John
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Crankcase
Spent a week there a year or two back. Great place as long as you don't mind (very) simple pleasures and not a lot to do. A typical day was a walk round the island, a coffee in a tearoom and..um..a sit on the beach. We went on the bus tour, which stops at exciting places like the duck pond.

We liked it a lot though - very slow and quiet holiday, so great for just blobbing for a few days. If it rains there's not much indoors though.

You need to be of the right temperament, and have inner resources.

Remember the boat takes ages and can be horrid and the helicopter is very expensive. We went by boat.
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - borasport
My experience is not recent - in fact, whilst waiting for the ferry back, we shared a table in the pub with Harold Wilson and his special branch man, so that tells you how long ago it was.

Plenty to do if you are active and into archaeology, natural history etc, but not a lot if you are passive holiday maker, but Tresco is the place to go for gardeners
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Perky Penguin
VERY expensive. £675 each for 3 nights - this is partly because of the helicopter flight!

www.brightwaterholidays.com/tour.aspx?TID=22155258-33EB-4198-83EB-350824FDA07E
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Bromptonaut
Went in the same era as Borasport, 68/9 and I was about 10. Never saw HW but remember being taken to Downing St the night before (we used the motorail train to Penzance) and parents joking that the PM would be packing his bags and on the same train.

Obviously things will have changed but the scenery, plant and bird life are still likely to be as good. Not somewhere for the party types but I plan to return some time to compare notes with my visits to the Hebrides. My first take on Barra was like the 'Scillies but hilly'.

One thing that hasn't changed is the helicopter service. Our snaps from 1968 show Sikorsky S61N G-ATFM; it's still in service with British International Helicopters 9though I don't think it still carries the name 'Orion'
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 1 Dec 10 at 22:05
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Hard Cheese

Many times, I too saw HW there when I was kid, the best way to get there is on the Scillonian III and watch the islands appear over the horizon.

Beautiful scenery, clear seas, as long as you like boats and walking ...

Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Zero

>> Beautiful scenery, clear seas, as long as you like boats and walking ...

Not ideal for an aged granny then.
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Bellboy
no push halfpenny machines there then?
sounds really boring,even filey has them
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Stuu
The idea of sitting in a deserted beach and devouring a novel ( something I can never do at home ) out of mobile signal, is a dream. Even on Lands End I was getting work calls. I have to be forced to get away from, it all, part of self-employment.

I might see if I can do a day trip next year, get a feel for it.
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - CGNorwich
"Even on Lands End I was getting work calls."

Well turn it off and buy another phone for personal calls.
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Crankcase
Just to add to what I wrote before - each of the islands has a different character, so do a bit of research. We keep talking about it being quiet, but everyone generally stays on St Mary's, and that's a heaving metropolis compared to some of the other islands.

We didn't take to Tresco much, but why is pretty undefinable. Like I say, each island just "feels" different somehow.

I guarantee though if I offered another holiday in the Scillies to Mrs C tonight she'd leap at the idea, and thinking about it, so would I. Have to start saving!

Final word - if you didn't see the Island Parish BBC programmes they give a good flavour of the Scillies, even if you turn off the commentary and just enjoy the pictures. Probably bits on the net somewhere.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 08:40
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Pat
You have to take the helicopter if you do go, it's an experience.
Good or bad, I'll leave for you to judge:)

Pat
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Perky Penguin
There is a ferry and there are non-helicopter flights. The helicopters are "an experience" but pricey with it!

www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 09:12
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Dog
I'd prefer the Canaries - especially right @ this minute in thyme :)
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - smokie
Dog - my daughters are in Fuerteventura right now and have had torrential rain - such that their room (presumably ground floor!!) was flooded and they had to move!! But on the whole I'm in agreement with you...
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Tooslow
Yes, we went to Tresco. Wanted to go by helicopter because neither of us had been in one. Turned out they're booked MONTHS in advance and, as noted, they're expensive. So we went on the ferry. The sea was as flat as a millpond.

Went by helicopter a few years later. Tick :-)

John

Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Mike Hannon
Islomania by Sara Hudston. ISBN: 9780953800001.

Book about the delights of the Scillies written by a fan (and an old friend of mine...).
 Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Hard Cheese

>> So we went on the ferry. The sea was as flat as a millpond.
>>

I have been when it is rough, great fun!

Anyone been to the Isles of Scilly? - Fenlander
Looked into this a while back as an alternative to our usual 1-2wks at a coastal location in Scotland. In peak school holidays we've found some amazing luxury cottages in stunning Scottish locations for less than £800 then all we really have to add is the £140 fuel cost. Eating out and cottage catering is not so different to a week off work at home so we'd call our core holiday cost £1000 for the 4 of us.

A comparable cottage on the Scilly Isles is £1450 for the peak period, helicopter transfer is £500 (4 people and fixed wing not that much cheaper)) and I'd still have to pay £100 in fuel to get from home to heliport. So £2050. Add to that boat shuttle trips to other islands at £24 a visit (4 people), fast boat ride £100 for an hour. You are somewhat captive for shopping and eating out too so it can get very pricey.

Probably the most important thing for us though was it is all so small... a hired cycle ride will only take 15mis from one end of the larger island to the other.

I prefer to explore on a greater scale.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 10:23
Latest Forum Posts