Non-motoring > Amazing what you can buy on ebay Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 37

Amazing what you can buy on ebay - CGNorwich
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-11872743
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Old Navy
Old military kit has always been sold off, usually at auction, just a different media.
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Skoda
I think you can hoover up a mig 29, or the high flying one, is that a mig 25 ? If you have the pennies for it.

I'm sure that's one way to get on first name terms with MI5 or whatever :-)
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - rtj70
Larry Ellison (founder, CEO and major shareholder of Oracle) purchased a MiG-29 and then found it difficult to import to the US. What a surprise. But he did eventually get it in I believe.
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - sherlock47
Yes, but this is not on EBay - if you read the article?
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Bigtee
It won't be going too fast with no engines::

The four Rolls Royce gas turbine engines have been removed and the generators and pumps are advertised as 'generally unserviceable or not working'.

Richard Scott, of Jane's Defence Weekly, said: 'She certainly carved her name out in history. But every ship reaches the end of its career.'

Bids must be made by January 5 next year.
HMS Invincible was due to be sold to Australia for £175 million in 1982 - but the sale was hastily stopped when the war in the Falklands broke out.
Built at Vickers Shipbuilding in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, she was laid down in 1973 and entered active service in 1980.
The 210 metre long and 46 metre tall vessel is currently based at the naval yard in Portsmouth, Hampshire.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334008/HMS-Invincible-sold-scrap-eBay-style-auction-website.html#ixzz16nMcZHBj
Have a look at www.edisposals.com

for interesting disposals!
Our company disposed of some servers (ok lots) via a company that seemed to buy anything and then flog it on. My colleague got a call from them a few weeks later and he was offered a warehouse full of prawns if he was interested.

Lots is sold/auctioned all the time.
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Leif
>> Lots is sold/auctioned all the time.

Especially when many companies go out of business such as a recession.
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Crankcase
edisposals is oh so tempting. Who could resist the Lynx MK7 Multi-role Helicopter Simulator, used to train military pilots? They say "It comes with a good number of spares and no reasonable offer would be dismissed."

Make someone's Christmas that would.
edisposals is oh so tempting.

I fancied the Saxon. 4x4 Armoured personnel carrires - That would sort out the super market dingers and mix well with the Chelsea tractors!
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Crankcase
The Saxons are good, but eclipsed, I feel, by the stunning arty photography for this item. No question that it sets the 2010 bar for glamorous and product enhancing photography. Bargain.

tinyurl.com/39ovclf

for glamorous and product enhancing photography. Bargain. :)

"For Ease of Donning & Doffing" what is that all about ? military speak? not Essex speak as far as I am aware.
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - CGNorwich
"Yes, but this is not on EBay - if you read the article?"

Oh all right, I was just going for dramatic effect
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - RattleandSmoke
It could make a godo rock club to replace my beloved Jilly's. I would have to find some where to put it though and with the high price of metal I suspect it would be worth more for scrap.

It is a shame I had planned to by a field in Cheshire to dump it on.
I would love to see the plan on getting an aircraft carrier inland. It's not going to come up the ship canal easily. Or would it? It's not going to fit in a field is it though.
Logistics always get in the way! It would probably be fit on the ship canal - possibly.

I guess the only way to do it would be to chop it up like a cut and shut and then weld it all back together again.
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Zero
HMS Invincible

Length: 210 m
Beam: 36.0 m
Draught: 8.8 m

Manchester Ship Canal Lock

Length: 170.68 m
Beam: 21.7 m
Draught: 8.78 m

= stuck Aircraft carrier.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 21:53
So how does one move 22,000 tonnes of ship even if in two halves?
You tow it, with tugs lashed to the side and back for manoeuvring

Just not up the Manchester ship canal.

Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Runfer D'Hills
I'd love to phone VOSA to tip them off that there was a scrappie coming up the M6 with a hell of a load on his trailer...
22,000 tones is gonna make the Highways Agency weighbridge groan a bit for sure.
I was coming from the point Rattle wanted this in a field. It won't come up the ship canal in one piece and if it did, it limits where it can be dropped off. I wonder if there is a reason why ship builders are on the coast? ;-) Not many in say Rugby.
You would have to split it up in probably about 50 halfs to transport it and then weld it all back together. It would have the strength of a cut and shut MK1 Mini made out of paper but it would do for onland.

I am sure people realise that I was only joking and poking fun at myself :).

If I did turn it into a club it would just have to be on the coast. Also if this thing has no engines how can it be transported even on sea?
Hellava large dance-floor on the roof tho.
>> Also if this thing has no engines how can it be transported even on sea?

Tugs. But I know you weren't serious. And 50 halves is 25 ships isn't it? :-)
 Amazing what you can buy on ebay - Runfer D'Hills
>> how can it be transported even on sea?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/seagull-outboard-motor_W0QQitemZ300496757148QQcategoryZ56422QQcmdZViewItem
That was used in the galley to mash the huge pot of spuds.
I suppose you could widen the ship canal. It would be good to take some business away from the Liverpool docks. I might contact Peel with my bright idea. Oh wait Peel also owns the Liverpool docks (as far as I know!).

The scousers still hate mancs for opening the ship canal.
>> I suppose you could widen the ship canal. It would be good to take some business away
>> from the Liverpool docks.

That was the justification of the ship canal and it carried big ships. Also made Peel Holdings very rich. Will they sell the Trafford Centre of the 1.5 billion or so on offer?

Indeed it took a lot of business away from Liverpool more than the earlier railway ever did. When the big container ships came in though it all dried up. The railway docs in Trafford Park are still very busy though even though the goods would have been loaded onto the trains at the Liverpool docks.

I think Peel will sell, I suppose shopping centres are no longer their thing. They are too busy trying to turn Barton Aerodrome into a proper airport and all their plans for buses down the ship canal.

It will be a shame it is sold, I think Peel always gave the Trafford Centre a unique no expense spared feel.
>> It will be a shame it is sold, I think Peel always gave the Trafford Centre a unique no
>> expense spared feel.

Yes because any new owners are sure to pull it down Rattle aren't they. I'd start again if it was me spending £1.5bn, Marble is so yesterday.

They want to extend it though and put an Argos and Primark in it. I think the £1.5bn includes about £800m worth of debts too though.

I am sure the will leave most of it alone but I just hope any extensions are done to the same high standard. I used to work there and always very impressed with the standard of the fittings in that place.
>> They want to extend it though and put an Argos and Primark in it. I

Wow yeah, no expense spared feel.
>> Oh wait Peel also owns the Liverpool docks

And John Lennon Airport.
Of course they won't pull it down but I just hope it dosn't go slowly down market e.g Primark and Argos.

They want to build an extension to it some how. I think about £800m of the £1.5bn is debts.
A big part of the last extension was still unoccupied the last time I was there.
I think they didn't realise how lazy people are. It is quite a long walk from say the bus stop though. They do have a mini lego land and other things in the extension now though.

I worked at the Trafford Centre for about 6 months and was always amazed of the quality of the building. I think at the time it was the most expensive shopping centre ever built but the not the largest.
Latest Forum Posts