Non-motoring > Post early for Christmas Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 28

Post early for Christmas - L'escargot
I know when the Royal Mail last posting days are for Christmas delivery, but what about posting early? What's the earliest you would post Christmas cards for UK addresses?
 Post early for Christmas - CGNorwich
1st January
 Post early for Christmas - Hard Cheese

26th December.

Post early for Christmas - Runfer D'Hills
I'd have thought anytime now would be ok. I have a policy of waiting until the last minute to see who's sent me one then if I like them I'll send one back. Saves making a list.

Wish I had the nerve not to send any to be honest. I don't really want any from anyone else. If it's someone you rarely hear from, why bother and if it's from someone you see or hear from regularly, equally, why bother?
 Post early for Christmas - Cliff Pope
Still using snailmail?

>> Still using snailmail?

Practically everyone has a letterbox, but by no means everyone has a computer.
 Post early for Christmas - Cliff Pope
Sorry, poor pun :)
Someone had to say it.
 Post early for Christmas - Zero
Can I have your Postal address please Humph,

I want to put you on my round robin list.

Not mine you understand, but all the ones I get, I send on to other people. Its so much more fun reading crap from someone you know nothing about or never heard of.
 Post early for Christmas - BiggerBadderDave
"Its so much more fun reading crap from someone you know nothing about or never heard of."

That's why I like reading your posts.
 Post early for Christmas - Zero
Remember that park bench, 5 years ago? you were drunk.

How could you have forgotten me,
 Post early for Christmas - RattleandSmoke
Don't bother, its all done via facebook now. Well I have to send my female friends cards because they get offended if otherwise but thats only a few people.

Post early for Christmas - Runfer D'Hills
Joking aside, sending Christmas cards does strike me as a rather odd thing to do nowadays but one which still enjoys huge popularity. Of course I still send some, in particular to shall we say the more advanced in years. Some of them would I suspect be at least mildly offended not to receive one.

Years ago, it seemed that they came from more or less everyone you had ever been in the same room with but now the numbers have dwindled. By mutual agreement we don't bother at work for example and even some close family members are of the same view.

It must have been very pleasing when post was the primary method of communication to receive a greeting from a friend but now interaction is so instantaneous and regular with those who are important in our lives that it seems a bit redundant really to send a card to someone with whom you exchange regular texts, telephone conversations or emails. Even more so to someone whom you physically see regularly.

Care for a humbug anyone ?

:-)
 Post early for Christmas - BobbyG
Same goes for holiday postcards. Never send them now, have usually texted / emailed /skyped/phoned or facebooked during the holiday!
 Post early for Christmas - bathtub tom
An acquaintance showed me the first Christmas card they received this year.

The front said: Joy to the world.

Inside: John's been diagnosed with cancer and this will probably be his last Christmas.

Post early for Christmas - Bellboy
we used to send holiday postcards but they never arrived and so i stopped sending them

obviously i also probably offended a few people because i liked the truly risqué ones
 Post early for Christmas - Stuartli
The Royal Mail website is the obvious place to go:

www2.royalmail.com/greetings?campaignid=RM_promo_home1
 Post early for Christmas - Iffy
When the London tube was extended to Heathrow, one of the new stations was Osterley.

I saw a map in one of the trains on which someone had written a capital 'P' before 'Osterley' and added 'for Christmas'.
 Post early for Christmas - Duncan
>> When the London tube was extended to Heathrow, one of the new stations was Osterley.

Pedant Corner

Osterley tube Station was built before the war.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osterley_tube_station
>> The Royal Mail website is the obvious place to go:
>>
>> www2.royalmail.com/greetings?campaignid=RM_promo_home1
>>

But what's the earliest you would post Christmas cards for UK addresses? That's what I want to know!
 Post early for Christmas - WillDeBeest
We received our first one on 30 November, but that came from Germany so the friend who sent it was probably playing safe. I'd rather they started to arrive from about 10 December, so about now would be a reasonable time to start sending them if you use second class stamps.

Incidentally, Christmas cards are about the only thing I ever send second class. Does anyone else still use it for other purposes?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 08:43
 Post early for Christmas - Pat
Aaaagh, if everyone refused to use First Class, we wouldn't be lumbered with a two tier mail delivery system.

Pat
 Post early for Christmas - Mapmaker
I spend too much time on here to have time to send cards AND do a job!
 Post early for Christmas - swiss tony
>> Aaaagh, if everyone refused to use First Class, we wouldn't be lumbered with a two
>> tier mail delivery system.
>>
>> Pat
>>
We don't have a 2 tier mail delivery system, or at least we didn't when I was a postie... (mid 80's)
We had a THREE tier mail delivery system.. 1st, 2nd and junk.
try and guess which was deemed to be the most urgent to deliver...
Last edited by: swiss tony on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 21:51
 Post early for Christmas - Pat
My only delivery arrives at around 15.15, and I live in a village with a Post Office.
The strange thing is that on a Saturday when the Post Office closes around 12.30 the delivery is here at 08.45.

Pat
 Post early for Christmas - Stuartli
>>But what's the earliest you would post Christmas cards for UK addresses? That's what I want to know!>>

Ah, a bit of an ambiguous question...:-)

Deliver most of mine by hand.
From the Post Office...
Dear Customer,
Unfortunately, severe weather conditions in some parts of the UK are impacting many essential services including those provided by Royal Mail. Mail collection, distribution, processing and deliveries are taking place as usual across the majority of the UK, in the areas most severely affected by the snow and icy conditions; our ability to operate normal services is being disrupted. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers as a result of the weather conditions which are affecting our standard and Special Delivery™ mail services.
Contingency plans are in operation to keep mail moving and keep delays in and out of affected areas to an absolute minimum. We are maintaining services to customers wherever possible, however, in these difficult conditions, the safety our people is our priority.
Temporary withdrawal of the Special Delivery™ guarantee
Unfortunately, severe weather conditions are affecting mail services in some parts of the UK with snow and ice making collections, deliveries and movement of mail very difficult or unsafe in some areas. Whilst we are continuing to accept, prioritise and expect to deliver the majority of Special Delivery™ items, the changing weather conditions mean we cannot guarantee the delivery of items the next day in all areas. Therefore, in order to provide customers with clear guidance, we are removing the Special Delivery™ guarantee for items posted from Wednesday 1st December 2010. We will restore the guarantee of delivery as soon as we can assure customers we can honour the service promise in full. We’re really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause our customers. (cont)
Conditions are of course changeable. Below are areas where services are currently most affected:
London
The delivery of mail may be affected in some parts of the SE and SW postcode areas.
North East England
Delivery and collection services may be affected in the following postcode areas: NE, DL, TS, YO, HU, S, DN, LS, BD, HX and HD.
Additionally, we'll be unable to operate late-night opening of our enquiry offices in the NE, DH, TS, SR, YO & HU areas.
South East and Anglia
Parts of South East England and the Anglia region most affected by the conditions include the SM, BR, CR, DA, ME, TN, CT, RH, CM, CO, SS, RM and IG postcode areas, where deliveries and collections of mail are likely to be limited, made later, or not possible at all in some parts today.
Scotland
Deliveries may be affected in the following postcode areas: G3, G11, G13, G41, G64, G66, G74-G75, G44-G46, DD1-DD9, DD11, FK, AB10-AB16, AB21-AB25, AB30-AB35, AB41-AB43, AB45, AB51, AB53-AB56, IV8, IV10, IV19-20, IV40, IV43, IV44, IV46, IV48, IV51-IV54, IV55, IV66, KW1-2, KW4- 5, KW14 & KW16.
Collections may be affected in the following postcode areas: G15, G61, G62, G65, G66, DD1-11, KY, AB30, AB31, AB42, AB43, AB45, AB51, AB53-AB55, AB56, IV2, IV19, IV20-IV22, IV24-IV28, IV42, IV45, IV46, IV47, KW1-KW13, KW12-KW14, EH18-EH23, EH25-EH27, EH28, EH31, EH39-EH42, EH47-EH49, EH53-55 & TD13
Collections and deliveries may be affected in the following areas: ML1-12, PA, EH1-17, IV12, IV30, IV31, PH, KA, HS & ZE.
Midlands
The areas most affected include the following postcode areas: CV, DE, LE, MK, NG, NN, ST and parts of Hereford and Worcester.
Northern Ireland
The delivery and collection of mail in rural parts of Northern Ireland may be affected.
Wales
Deliveries and collections may be affected in the following postcode areas: LL, LD, SY and SA postcode areas
Our managers are keeping local weather conditions under regular review and we will continue to provide the most up-to–date information about services in your local area including Special Delivery™ on these pages: www.royalmail.com/serviceupdates .
Regards

Royal Mail Customer Service
 Post early for Christmas - Clk Sec
Thanks, ST. Very useful.
 Post early for Christmas - Mike Hannon
I had a card from the UK on November 29...

The weather is so diabolical here we have been writing Christmas cards just for something to do - far in advance of the usual panic. Only problem is - can't get out to post them.
Latest Forum Posts