Non-motoring > Hi-Viz jackets and POWER Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 27

Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Crankcase
Hi-viz certainly has its place. But now everyone wears one. It seems to make them think they are somehow in charge of everyone else too. Put a man in a hi-viz because he's sweeping the road and he suddenly thinks he can stand in the middle of the street directing juggernauts.

Anyway.

I think the most ridiculous example for me recently was the man who came to change our Virgin tv box. He parked outside my house. Knocked on the door. Decided he was going to replace the box - went to his van at the end of my path, put on his hi-viz, came into my lounge, changed the box, went back to his van and took his hi-viz off.

What did he think, Mrs C wouldn't see him and hoover him up?
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Old Sock
Probably 'elf n safety guv.

I do sometimes wonder what offence (if any) could be brought against someone standing by the road, wearing a hi-viz jacket and pointing a domestic hairdryer at oncoming traffic :-)
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Pat
Nearly all the girls in traffic offices wear them now all day. We often ask when the last fork lift drove through the office, but being girls, it goes straight over their heads and they just get sniffy!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 10:10
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - BobbyG
Agree wholeheartedly, similar to my thread about the flashing beacons on lorries - the more that do it , the less effective they become!
>>Nearly all the girls in traffic offices wear them now all day

Are they pink then?
Well the police took a dim view of that chap who put a cardboard life size policeman with a speed gun in his front garden, so in the hairdryer example you probably would get into trouble, yes!

But this is getting near the old favourite "should you warn people of a speed trap ahead" chestnut we've done before.

To forestall it -

Pro: yes, because it stops people breaking the law at that moment and that is a Good Thing.

Con: no, because people who speed should be caught so they will do it less in future, and that is a Good Thing.

And the police go for "warn someone and we'll nick you", so we know the official response.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 10:15
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Bigtee
I have a nice collection of them but my favorite this time of year is the high vis fleece bodywarmer & the high vis winter coat over the top & the high vis water proof trousers.

Must say look a right pfd in them but very very warm.!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 21:41
Ah, one of those "I just spent twenty minutes getting into it and now I need a pee" uniforms. Know them well.

Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Cliff Pope
They usually have the fluorescent stripes arranged to look like some kind of body-harness, as if they have just been lowered in by helicopter.
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - corax
A mate at work wears the hi-viz jacket ad hi-viz trousers, and wears sunglasses most of the time, even if it's not sunny. People driving past probably think he's stopping himself from being blinded by his gear.

A lot of running gear is now hi-viz, good for running at night. But it's got to the point where you can buy fleece hats, gloves and shoes with hi viz sewn into them. There must be a point where you're so bright you're at risk of dazzling people.

A few years ago all the stairs and railings in our park at work were painted yellow and the gates were painted black and yellow, so that people could see them without falling over or crashing into them. If you're getting to that stage in life, maybe you shouldn't go out anymore. Looks ugly as well.
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Bellboy
best thing ever invented if you are in the wrong environment
its amazing how you can disappear until you put the jacket on
im all for them im afraid

its the clipboard clumps with their names on a bit of plastic and chain that get right up my nose

interestingly since the old regime was removed from their diktat the elf and fire brigade are much more understanding of small errors and now advise rather than triplicate everything

its a real breath of fresh air to feel you are now welcome in GB rather than made to feel because you dont attain iso stick it up your jumper status you are a pain that needs putting down

we pay taxes too remember
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Tooslow
I hope he had his hard hat on too. And steelies. Don't you know most accidents happen in the home :-)

John
>> I hope he had his hard hat on too. And steelies. Don't you know most
>> accidents happen in the home :-)

Better move then.
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Mapmaker
When I broke down on the side of the A1 I was very grateful for the new French laws.
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Ted

I just want a Hi-viz ' Sam Browne ' to wear when I'm out on the bike but all you seem to be able to get is one like the aforementioned ' helicopter ' harness !

One of the warmest biking jackets was given to me by a biker chum who worked for the Manchester bus people. It was hi-viz and very windproof but had no crash protection, of course.

Got too mucky to wear in the end.

Ted
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - legacylad
One of my 'part time' jobs is working in an outdoor gear shop.
we sell plenty of Sealskinz hi viz gloves, socks (for runners) and beanies..available in orange & yellow!
I'm even thinking of buying one of the latter to keep in the car, just in case.
Not sure what the 'just in case' is mind.
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Old Navy
In winter I keep a couple of cheap LED flashing bike lights in the glovebox, "just in case". Local folk attach them to their clothing when walking or jogging on unlit rural roads without pavements.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 1 Dec 10 at 08:55
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Runfer D'Hills
Not a bad idea ON. I certainly always keep at least a torch in the car. I learned my lesson years ago when having to change a wheel at the roadside in the pitch dark in the middle of nowhere. All I had was an ignition key with a tiny little torch built in to it ( remember them? ) which I had to keep clamped in my teeth to see what I was doing. Didn't help that I had a cough at the time. I really thought I was going to swallow it at one point. Would've been a long wait to get going again...

:-)
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - corax
>> In winter I keep a couple of cheap LED flashing bike lights in the glovebox,
>> "just in case". Local folk attach them to their clothing when walking or jogging on
>> unlit rural roads without pavements.

My Ronhill running jacket has a velcro attachment on the back for a small LED light. But only for Ronhill lighting systems of course..

I keep a cheap headtorch in the glovebox. I havn't needed to use it yet, but they're perfect for changing a wheel as they leave both hands free.
Last edited by: corax on Wed 1 Dec 10 at 11:46
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - R.P.
I kept my 1980s Sam Browne and regularly use it - well (UK) made quality item has lasted for years !
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Bigtee
What is a sam Browne?
Last edited by: Bigtee on Wed 1 Dec 10 at 10:56
Its a belt - it goes around what the midriff and then a single strap emerges from it goes over one shoulder and down the back. It was highly thought of in the 80s as an alternative to a Hi Viz jacket as it enabled a driver to establish the "attitude" (angle of lean) of a rider making it easier to estimate speed apparently. Named after a similar design of belt worn by soldiers (MPs)
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Fenlander
>>>What is a sam Browne

Google says... www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDZD3wgoHI
Wearing her would make you more visible than any Hi Viz jacket - in a "not right" way !
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Iffy
As a driver, I'd recommend any runner or cyclist to wear some high-vis clothing.

Doesn't have to be a lot, I've been alerted by little bits of reflective material on shoes.

Or at the very least wear something of a light colour.

I have a matt-black Schuberth motorcycle lid - what is really impressive is that it has black reflective triangles (to comply with some French law) on the back as well as other areas of black reflective decals...I love German tech...
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Old Navy
>> Or at the very least wear something of a light colour.
>>
>>
The only thing that I saw approaching a group of about half a dozen kids walking away from me on a unlit rural road with no pavement in pitch darkness was the flash of a pair of white socks.

Could so easily have been a disaster.
 Hi-Viz jackets and POWER - Zero
>> >>>What is a sam Browne
>>
>> Google says... www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDZD3wgoHI

A classic!
Latest Forum Posts