Non-motoring > Noisy plumbing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 6

Noisy plumbing - Perky Penguin
I have a toilet in an extension above my garage. The cistern is filled by a pipe which comes up thru the floor, from the garage. When the toilet is flushed and starts refilling there is a loud and annoying "mooing" noise and, in the cistern, the refill pipe and mechansim can be felt to be in a state of high frequescy vibration. This varies if the pipe is pressed or moved slightly and stops when the cistern if full. Any ideas please? It doesn't bother me but someone else in the house doesn't like so action is needed.
 Noisy plumbing - Cliff Pope
It might be to do with the presence, or absense, of the bit of flappy plastic tube taking the inlet below water level.
Or may be the pipe is inadequately supported?
Or the wrong kind of valve - high or low pressure?
 Noisy plumbing - madf
Ther are water pressure restrictors which fit in the intake pipe of the cistern which slow the water down and reduce noise.. They work...
 Noisy plumbing - FotheringtonTomas
>> Or the wrong kind of valve - high or low pressure?

Try changing that first. Also, check that the float isn't rubbing on something, and that the pipework is properly secured.
 Noisy plumbing - Zero
Install some more pipe clips.
 Noisy plumbing - Perky Penguin
I am away from the problem for over a week but there is no bit of plastic on the inflow, I can fix that. Zero, what you say makes sound sense but the input pipe, up thru the floor, is too far from the wall to make pipe clips a possibilty. I have some food for thought anyway - thanks.
 Noisy plumbing - sherlock47
How about using high density foam pipe insulation, about 50mm diam, may be just enough to wedge it againgst the wall?
Latest Forum Posts