Non-motoring > A thread recycled Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 17

A thread recycled - Iffy
A short-lived thread on here yesterday discussed the merits of stunt bikers.

It was prompted by this video showing a stunt biker in Scotland, who is undeniably highly-skilled at what he does.

tinyurl.com/3yr57d5

The OP of that thread took the hump at the direction in which I took the discussion and asked for it to be binned, which he's entitled to do, apparently.

My comments, and those of others, were legitimate and should not have been censored on what is supposed to be an open forum.

To get back on topic:

I admire the skill and daring of the stunt bikers, but there have been problems with them causing damage to the street furniture over which they cycle.

An acquaintance of mine had problems with a group of bikers outside his house who damaged his front wall and railings.

They meant no harm, but should they be allowed to pursue their hobby - possibly inspired by the guy on the video - when it causes damage to someone else's property?

Please feel free to post whatever comments you wish, I will not be asking for the thread to be deleted just because I don't agree with a reply.

A thread recycled - Focusless
>> It was prompted by this video showing a stunt biker in Scotland, who is undeniably
>> highly-skilled at what he does.

Not bad :)

No suspension either, apart from his poor knees.
 A thread recycled - Fenlander
Not like Humph to do that....

I wondered where the thread had gone as I wanted to show Mrs F the video last night.

I'll say the same again as I posted yesterday. Great video, nice locations and amazing skills.

Bikes have almost no impact on the environment (in its broadest sense) compared to motor vehicles so I can't attach any negativity to this activity where property wear & tear is not the main aim.

Over the years I've had some of my best times on a bike. Long may they stay unregulated.
 A thread recycled - Leif
Impressive, but if they cause noticeable damage, then I'm afraid it should not be allowed, and prosecutions would be in order in my opinion. Push bikes and motor bikes cause significant damage in some woods, as they destroy the ground, making it impossible for anything to grow.
>>>Push bikes and motor bikes cause significant damage in some woods, as they destroy the ground, making it impossible for anything to grow.

Not fair to add in any motor vehicle to this argument. Also the majority of the British landscape as we see it now is the result of human activity... we are part of nature as much as badgers & voles.
 A thread recycled - Leif
>> Not fair to add in any motor vehicle to this argument. Also the majority of
>> the British landscape as we see it now is the result of human activity... we
>> are part of nature as much as badgers & voles.

I don't understand the first sentence. Yes, we have shaped the environment, but that does not alter the fact that cycling through woods destroys anything growing. There are woods where nothing grows due to damage, and there is but trees surrounded by bare earth. And in this country woods, unimproved grassland and heaths are a rare habitat.
>>>I don't understand the first sentence.

Simply that the thread is about wear and tear from pedal cycles which are just as green as the mass invasion of the countryside by walkers at weekends.... anything with engine power has the ability to pollute and damage on a completely different scale though.
 A thread recycled - Leif
>> Simply that the thread is about wear and tear from pedal cycles which are just
>> as green as the mass invasion of the countryside by walkers at weekends.... anything with
>> engine power has the ability to pollute and damage on a completely different scale though.

Walkers tend to stick to paths. In some areas which are unreachable by cars, push bikelists and motor bikelers use the woods as play grounds, with some areas reduced to trees and bare mud.

And yes, 4x4's do chew up paths. Some of the local paths are unpassable due to 4x4 owners selfishly using the paths for recreation. They probably only go once or twice a year to a given path, but the long procession of cars leaves the path unpassable by anything but 4x4s. Deep ruts and holes 12" or more deep is typical. I've tried running/cycling/walking the paths, but they are not passable.
 A thread recycled - Roger.
I just love to see stunt bikers (and stunt skateboarders) having pratfalls!
 A thread recycled - FotheringtonTomas
>> Push bikes and motor bikes cause significant damage in some woods, as
>> they destroy the ground, making it impossible for anything to grow.

I haven't seen that, but I have seen tracks made impassably muddy to anyone normally attired, and severe erosion - even of ancient monuments.
 A thread recycled - CGNorwich
Although I don't condone causing damage to public property,as I mentioned in the original thread , I suspect that the physical damage caused by a few stunt cyclist palls into insignificance when compared with the damage cause by motorists. Just look at the broken paving caused by illegal parking alone.

It's very easy to single out a group, of which you are not a member, and cry "ban them". I don't really think stunt cyclists are a significant problem,certainly not round here, and I do admire the skills many of them possess. Wish I could do it!
 A thread recycled - John H
>> My comments, and those of others, were legitimate and should not have been censored on
>> what is supposed to be an open forum.
>>

What do you mean by an "open forum"?

>> Please feel free to post whatever comments you wish, I will not be asking for
>> the thread to be deleted just because I don't agree with a reply.
>>

www.car4play.com/terms/terms.htm
9.3 You must not re-submit content which you are aware has been removed.

I am confused.

Last edited by: John H on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 09:35
 A thread recycled - FotheringtonTomas
>> The OP of that thread took the hump at the direction in which I took
>> the discussion and asked for it to be binned, which he's entitled to do, apparently.
>>
>> My comments, and those of others, were legitimate and should not have been
>> censored on what is supposed to be an open forum.

Rubbish. It's not open.

>> To get back on topic:

You need to read www.car4play.com/terms/terms.htm, paying attention to section 9.

>> An acquaintance of mine had problems with a group of bikers outside his house who
>> damaged his front wall and railings.
>>
>> They meant no harm, but should they be allowed to pursue their hobby - possibly
>> inspired by the guy on the video - when it causes damage to someone else's
>> property?

If they cause damage, they should make restitution. However, I suspect that they'll shove off into the distance PDQ. Nasty so-and-so's.
 A thread recycled - Zero

>> Please feel free to post whatever comments you wish, I will not be asking for
>> the thread to be deleted just because I don't agree with a reply.

Sigh
 A thread recycled - John H
>>
>> >> Please feel free to post whatever comments you wish, I will not be asking
>> for
>> >> the thread to be deleted just because I don't agree with a reply.
>>
>> Sigh
>>

Agreed, the man is full of himself. :-)
(This comment won't be deleted if he gets his way.)
 A thread recycled - L'escargot
I thought this was going to be about British Standard Cycle Threads!
 A thread recycled - Zero
Humph is a British Standard Cyclist.

A thread recycled - Old Navy
>> Humph is a British Standard Cyclist.
>>
>>
He can't be, he can't reach his roof rack. :-)
Latest Forum Posts