Non-motoring > Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 24

Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Hard Cheese

Freeview as opposed to Freesat or Sky.

I have read a little about this, as I recall BBC HD is broadcast with 5.1 sound though not ITV HD or other SD signals, can anyone confirm or comment?

Thanks.
 Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Stuartli
See:

www.hd-freeview.co.uk/2010/06/freeview-hd-and-dolby-digital-5-1-surround-sound/

tinyurl.com/359lxuv

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/06/questions_around_surround_soun.html

www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/what_is_hd.shtml

My Panasonic TV offers the surround sound feature but, because the speakers are at the back, the full effect is usually lost - looking for a decent setup to do justice to the sound quality.

Listening to the sound at the back of the set is excellent, but not very practical....)

Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 08:28
 Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Zero

The answer is - Sometimes.

Thanks.

We have a 5 ish year old Yamaha AV amp which has digital optical and digital coxial audio inputs for 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, our Freeview HD Sony TV has a digital optical output however I might as well use the digital optical input on the amp for the PS3 (Blueray) and connect the TV audio via L-R stereo phono connectors if the TV broadcasts are only 2.0 sound.

Yes thats the way to go.

Insufficient thought, care, or expense is taken with TV HD audio at source*, unlike movies, so it makes sense to output through your best audio with DVD or Blueray.

*usually - there are exceptions.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 09:08
 Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - AnotherJohnH
>> Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound?

as per the many excellant links and comments above - HD only, and your kit may not work anyway.

your transmitter may not carry T2 HD until DSO, and even then may not if you are out in the sticks on "Freeview light".

www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051678
 Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Fursty Ferret
Cheddar - keep the optical from the TV to the amp. In theory, the PS3 should send the digital soundtrack to the TV via HDMI, which will hand it on through optical. Best of both worlds. :-)

>> Cheddar - keep the optical from the TV to the amp. In theory, the PS3
>> should send the digital soundtrack to the TV via HDMI, which will hand it on
>> through optical.
>>

Interesting!

If that is the case then I only need one conncetion to the amp and all other peripherals (PS3, Blueray and PVR) can connect to the TV only via MDMI - though are you sure that the TV's optical out will feature the audio from whatever input is selected?

Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Fursty Ferret
Edit.

Just done some research and apparently it won't work, unfortunately. Ignore my suggestions! Have a vague memory that's what the manual suggested but never got around to trying it.
Last edited by: Alfa Floor on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 20:17
 Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Bellboy
on the old bush pvr i have it has a digital output so i use this with a single phono lead with ungolded ends into my dolby prologic receiver and i certainly get 5 channel surround so not even considered it was technical wizadry

>> this with a single phono lead with ungolded ends into my dolby prologic receiver and
>> i certainly get 5 channel surround
>>

That's a digital coaxial connection.

>>Just done some research and apparently it won't work,>>

But it does :-)

You got me thinking and I have tried it I realised that with the TV and PVR only connected to the amp we dont need to switch the amp input, i.e. with it on the TV input it receives the TV broadcast audio and when the PVR is on it receives the PVR audio also through the TV input, of course with the PVR on it also received the PVR audio via the PVR input (digital coaxial) so I disconnected this and the PVR audio was still received via the TV input.

So the answer is to connect the PVR, PS3 and Blueray to the TV via HDMI and have the TV connected via digital optical to the amp.

EDIT: Thanks!

Last edited by: Cheddar on Mon 29 Nov 10 at 23:03
>> But it does :-)

Which standard definition Freeview channels are you guys getting Dolby 5.1 sound on?

I'm reasonably confident the BBC SD stuff isn't.

>> >> But it does :-)

>> Which ... >>

John, it is two different points, my last post was about the connectivity rather that the broadcasts, solving the connectivity questions means that I can take advantage of any channels that are broadcast in 5.1 as well as Blueray, DVD and PS3 content.

BTW I have read that BBC HD uses more bandwidth for sound than ITV HD on freview thus allowing for 5.1 though it is not clear how often it is broadcast.

Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Slidingpillar
None of the standard definition TV services are 5.1, ever. It's not in the specification.

The HD services do allow 5.1.

BBC One, Two, Three, Four, Cbeebies and CBBC in SD have a high enough bitrate allocated to the sound to allow Dolby Pro Logic or a compatible surround system to be used. So some programmes and films do use it.

Not sure if any other channels have a high enough bitrate.

Many surround amplifiers will invent surround and make you think the programme has it. Bit like some widescreen tellys which will do anything to fill the screen.

Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 08:45
>>Bit like some widescreen tellys which will do anything to fill the screen.>>

Probably set on Auto Aspect Ratio mode.

In any case it will prevent some people from a risk of image burn to the screen through incorrect configuration.

By the way, the BBC and other companies' logos (Press, Back etc) can/may cause this problem; pressing the Green button will make the logo disappear with Freeview transmissions.

It's done automatically after a few seconds on Freesat (you may have to configure it in the menu).
>> pressing the Green button will make the logo disappear with Freeview transmissions.

I thought the green button functionality is/will be to choose a recording from the promo/trailer for a programme in Freeview/Freesat land, and $ky already use it in a $$$ context:

www.skymedia.co.uk/greenbutton

Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Tooslow
On Freeview, pressing the green button gets rid if the "red button" logo (who dreamt that one up?). It won't remove the station id.

John
>> On Freeview, pressing the green button gets rid if the "red button" logo (who dreamt that one up?). It won't remove the station id.>>

That's what I pointed out i.e. the logo in the top right hand corner such as Press(o) and the Channel4 larger logo link to horse racing results when the sport is being featured.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 30 Nov 10 at 21:11
 Are Freeview digital TV broadcasts in 5.1 sound? - Slidingpillar
Need to correct myself.

Via satellite, HD with Dolby 5.1 yes, terrestrially no. Apparently some terrestrial receivers can transcode the stereo format that is broadcast terrestrially into 5 channel, but I've no detail.

As for widescreen tellys, mine in "smart" isn't and goes into stretch mode. Selecting "widescreen" allows the broadcaster format to work but it all goes to pot if they get it wrong.

Press red invitation is a MHEG overlay so a little subroutine cuts it out on pressing green on BBC channels, but the logo for channels that have them, ie BBC Three, Four, News etc is on the broadcast, ie part of the picture so not the same.
>>Press red invitation is a MHEG overlay so a little subroutine cuts it out on pressing green on BBC channels, but the logo for channels that have them, ie BBC Three, Four, News etc is on the broadcast, ie part of the picture so not the same.>>

I'm fully aware that the channel logo(s) are part of the normal transmission(s) - the logos I refer to are for the BBCi Active services and, in the case of Channel4, its Text service when horse racing is shown.

ITV also has a similar logo to allow use of the remote control to switch to HD (51 Freeview and 119 Freesat), but this clears automatically after a short period of time.

>>Just done some research and apparently it won't work,

But it does :-)>>

Fantastically!

The TV optical-out is connected to the optical-in on the amp and the Blueray and DVD/PVR are connected by HDMI to the TV, the amp input does not need to be changed, instead the TV feeds the amp with the audio for whatever it is playing, SD/HD broadcast, BD, DVD/PVR, internet video etc.

And the Sony Bravia sync is brilliant, the Freeview HD Bravia interacting superbly with the Sony BDPS-570 and RDR-205.

All you need now is an Iphone to control the BDPS-570.

Got three remotes that all can do that ...
No you havent

Try entering a text search in the youtube page.........
Latest Forum Posts