Non-motoring > Kindle - WiFi, or WiFi & 3G? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 4

Kindle - WiFi, or WiFi & 3G? - Manatee
Yes I'm still sorting Christmas presents. Herself is a great reader (her neb is in a book now as she takes a break from domestic godessing) so she'll be getting a Kindle. Is it worth buying the 3G version?

I don't think it matters much for book-buying because that will mostly be done at home anyway. It's the unknown unknowns I'm looking for. What can she do with the 3G that I haven't thought of?

Any other info on experiences welcome too of course...
 Kindle - WiFi, or WiFi & 3G? - R.P.
CLK has posted a similar question over in Computers today..
 Kindle - WiFi, or WiFi & 3G? - paulb
The thing you need to consider is whether you can see yourself in a position where you absolutely HAVE to download something, and it cannot wait until you are either in wifi range or able to hook up to a computer via USB. If not, save yourself forty quid.

Mrs B bought a wifi-only version earlier in the year and not once has the lack of 3G been an issue.

The advertising I've seen says that the 3G service is free, but for how long that will remain the case is anyone's guess.
 Kindle - WiFi, or WiFi & 3G? - rtj70
You can do simple web browsing on a Kindle. So you could browse on the 3G version anywhere including overseas. Costs are covered in the sometimes pricey ebooks they sell!
 Kindle - WiFi, or WiFi & 3G? - Fursty Ferret
I have the 3G one, but I spend my working life out of the country. You can access the Kindle Store and Wikipedia from more or less anywhere in the world, but you can only browse the web for free in countries where Vodafone have their own network.

Eg. it'll work properly in Germany but not in France. Then again, web browsing is "experimental" according to Amazon.

Edit: oh yes, and if Amazon started charging for the 3G access (they do anyway, it's an overhead in the book price) on a subscription basis, I'd be demanding my money back for the device.
Last edited by: Alfa Floor on Sun 28 Nov 10 at 20:18
Latest Forum Posts