Non-motoring > Electric shaver advice please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 25

Electric shaver advice please - Manatee
I have been made aware that Boy would appreciate a new shaver for Christmas and I'd like to get him a decent one. Should I get one of those from the man who bought the company, or Braun, Phillips?

I think there are some wet and dry ones now? Don't use one myself so I have no idea - any tips will be appreciated.
 Electric shaver advice please - Woodster
I haven't used a wet and dry type but I've got one that has a base for self cleaning. You have to buy cleaning cartridges (filled with some alcohol based liquid) which are pricey. I'd only say stick to the major brands because spare foils are then easily available on the net.
 Electric shaver advice please - hobby
I use the Phillips ones with the three cutting heads... I got one for £25 when in Europe 10 years ago and its been fine, now replaced with a similar model at about £35... Don't get the cheapos they are rubbish, and make sure he keeps it charged up it hurts if it stops part way through shaving and gets stuck on the stubble!! £50 will get you a decent one, I've always dry shaved so can't speak for those ones that are supposed to work in the wet!
 Electric shaver advice please - Skip
i have used electric shavers for over 30 years now, and have found that the Philllips rotary head ones work best for me. i recently bought the Phillips Williams F1 model as Argos had knocked it down to half price (£50ish), and althouigh it feels a bit cheap it works brilliantly !
 Electric shaver advice please - Zero
I use the three head Phillips, have done since I dumped Braun some 30 years ago.

The son has a Phillips as well.
 Electric shaver advice please - corax
>> Don't get the cheapos they are rubbish, and make sure he
>> keeps it charged up it hurts if it stops part way through shaving and gets
>> stuck on the stubble!!

Heh heh, sounds familiar. It's happened to me, but instead of detaching the head in situ, popping in some spare batteries, and turning it back on, I decided to pull off a chunk of my chin. How stupid.
 Electric shaver advice please - L'escargot
>> Don't use one myself ...........

Nor me. I tried one in my late teens and found it resulted in ingrowing hairs. The problem was solved by going back to wet shaving.
 Electric shaver advice please - Dog
This'll do the job ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-Electric-Rechargeable-Shaver-System/dp/B0029Z9XNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290945060&sr=8-1
 Electric shaver advice please - Armel Coussine
Tried everything in my day including cutthroat (carves lovely thin slices off your chin, that). I find these modern floppy multi-blade safety razors work all right, but I am too lazy to shave every day when I don't have to.

Having an oily skin I didn't get on with electric shavers. They grind your facial hair to a fine powder and rub it into your pores, resulting in blackheads when you are young. Not everyone has this problem though.
 Electric shaver advice please - Golf_Paul
I've used a Braun for many years, and I have always been very impressed with the quality of the shaver and the shave. As mentioned elsewhere, it has a "holder" which uses cartridges of cleaning fluid which keeps it fresh.

The model number is 7680, but that may not be available now.

You may also find some worthwhile offers on shavers.co.uk.
I have used them many times both for shavers and accessories. They are very helpful, provide a very good delivery service and items can be easily ordered via their web site.

My only connection is as a very impressed customer.

HTH
 Electric shaver advice please - -
I use a Philishave wet, wash face first with soap and water then rinse, and use ordinary cheapo shaving gel as lubricant (shaving foam doesn't do it, too thin).

The one i use was designed to be used with Nivea coolskin cream as lubricant, ridiculous price that stuff, shaving gel does just as well, just use a good after shave creme too moisturise the skin after.

This method i find gives as good a shave as razors.

Welcome MN junior to the PITA of regular shaving .;)
 Electric shaver advice please - Iffy
One of the large London department stores - might have been Harrods - used to have a dozen or more shavers on display.

If memory serves, they were plugged in for you to try.

Presumably the advent of aids would have stopped that.

Electric shaver advice please - Stuartli
Poundland sells the superb Wilkinson twin edge disposables at 5 for a pound plus five free.

I've a pretty tough beard, but they last at least a week and buying four packs at a time means I'm set up for about a year....:-)

Never found a decent electric shaver yet, apart from many years ago (a Remington foil type) which eventually gave up the ghost.
 Electric shaver advice please - MrTee43
A while ago, I was looking for a cheap battery razor to take on a skiing trip, so went to Argos and looked for one. At the time they had a Braun battery jobbie at £12.99, so I bought one.

i have to say that for the money, it has been the best shaver I have ever bought. You can actually use it wet or dry, the batteries last for ages and being so cheap, if the foil goes, which as you may know can cost an arm and a leg, just buy another one. Oh yes, you actually get 2 Duracell batteries included in the price.

I was so impressed I bought another one to keep for those on the go situations.

Have a read of the reviews.

tinyurl.com/38336ue
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 28 Nov 10 at 15:47
I had a 12volt in-car shaver which had a single circular foil about an inch across.

It didn't work very well.
 Electric shaver advice please - Bromptonaut
Like Mr Tee I've found the cheapo Braun great for travelling. Bought another for Bromp junior who's beginning to develop face fuzz.

On the wider question I think a recommendation is very difficult; individual beards and the effect of shaver on skin vary too much. After an early Braun re-chargeable gave up in the 80's I tried a Phillishave. Ineffective and made me sore; back to a Braun pdq.

When the last Braun gave up something persuaded me to try the Phillishave again. Needed an application of 'pre-shave' at first but actually more effective than the Braun, although the latter's cutters were probably as much on their last legs as the battery.
 Electric shaver advice please - L'escargot
How come MrT43 is allowed more page width than the rest of us mere mortals?
 Electric shaver advice please - R.P.
'cos he bribed the mods ! Seriously it's all normal on my Vista/Firefox set-up. Obviously the wrap round feature works well in Firefox...

Edit: Shrunk it now.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 28 Nov 10 at 15:48
...Seriously it's all normal on my Vista/Firefox set-up...

Same here on expensive Snow Leopard/free Firefox.

Electric shaver advice please - MrTee43
Sorry about that. I did think about the long URL but on my monitor with Windows7 and Firefox, it looked fine in the preview.
 Electric shaver advice please - R.P.
No worries...
 Electric shaver advice please - Bellboy
i had a battery philishave when i first needed to get rid of my bum fluff but batteries were dear and not long lasting so i cobbled the razor (3 head) up to a scalextric transformer and upped the dial
it worked perfectly but boy did it hurt if it grabbed a long hair
oh and the head got very hot quite quickly
Seems to be mostly Philips & Braun recommendations. The Amazon reviews for the Williams F1 Philips recommended by AndyP were mostly 5* as well, so I've ordered one of those - the price is now £43.99 on Amazon, so maybe Philips isn't sponsoring Williams F1 next year!

Many thanks for the reports
...Williams F1 Philips recommended by AndyP were mostly 5*...

The F1 branding will make it more of a Christmas present.

>> The F1 branding will make it more of a Christmas present.

Yes, "it's a limited edition, carbon fibre, son!"

Happily he isn't precious about brands/logos (Yorkshire born) so there's no risk of him turning his nose up on that score either.
 Electric shaver advice please - Zero
You'll have to teach him to turn his nose up, to get to that bristly bit just between nose and top lip....
Latest Forum Posts